Non-trad freaking out about taking the MCAT!!!?!?!

Started by dnetko
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dnetko

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if there are any other non-trads out there who are freaking out about taking the MCAT? Being out of the science classes for about 3 years is making all of this material seem so overwhelming...I don't know where to begin! Does anyone have any advice on how to break up all of the materials covered? I have been following how Kaplan has been doing it, but I'm not sure if that is the most beneficial. Any advice would be great!!! 🙂
 
The first thing you should do is take a practice test ASAP.

When do you plan to take the real thing?
 
dnetko said:
I was just wondering if there are any other non-trads out there who are freaking out about taking the MCAT? Being out of the science classes for about 3 years is making all of this material seem so overwhelming...I don't know where to begin! Does anyone have any advice on how to break up all of the materials covered? I have been following how Kaplan has been doing it, but I'm not sure if that is the most beneficial. Any advice would be great!!! 🙂

I used to teach for the Princeton Review. What you want to do is break your studying up into the 4 groups tested on the MCAT. In this order: group the Physical Sciences (Gen Chem and Physics) together; the Biological Sciences (Org Chem and Bio); verbal reasoning; and writing.

Start with either Physical or Biological Sciences...whichever one you are STRONGEST with (helps boost confidence in studying). The passage format will help with the verbal reasoning section on a second level to the material. Then, hit the verbal reasoning section, and end with the writing sample section.

I have been exposed to both, and the Kaplan review books are not as good as the Princeton Review books...but I am talking about the ones you get when you pay the big bucks for attending their classes...very different from the books you can buy at the store. You can usually find a good used set of these books on Craig's List...as TPR has cracked down on ebay...and ebay no longer allows the resale of these books on their website.

While doing your review, I cannot stress the importance of doing as many practice tests as possible...under conditions as close to the actual test as possible. You can get your hands on practice tests and answers from the AMCAS website.

I strongly recommend taking the CBT version of the test...I think, if they haven't done so already, the MCAT will soon be 100% CBT anyway...even if you have to fly to a nearby testing location to take it. It is so much more user-friendly and efficient. It is nearly close to a self-paced test (with a maximum time limit, of course).

If you have the $$$ and the time...take the TPR classroom course...if you make a point to do everything they assign and suggest...you will do well on the MCAT. Again though...the $1500 you spend will end up what you make of it...and if you have a lot of self-discipline already...it might not be worth it, because you could force yourself to do the same stuff for free or at a fraction of the cost.

Whew...sorry for the length...I guess that's all I can think of for now...don't stress too much though.

Good luck 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mid30premed you sound like you know a lot of the mcat. How did you prepare for the verbal passages? Do you recommend exam krackers/tpr/kaplan? Finally, you say that the tpr course books are no longer on ebay, but I did a search and found them for like 150 dollars, is that too much? How do they (the tpr course books) compare to the kaplan course books (not the review books)
 
Hermit MMood said:
mid30premed you sound like you know a lot of the mcat. How did you prepare for the verbal passages? Do you recommend exam krackers/tpr/kaplan? Finally, you say that the tpr course books are no longer on ebay, but I did a search and found them for like 150 dollars, is that too much? How do they (the tpr course books) compare to the kaplan course books (not the review books)

Yep...too bad my score doesn't reflect that...don't know what happened...I think I ended up with an easier series...the the scaling curve was out-of-whack and it was relatively much harder to earn a good scaled score than if I would have had a harder series. That with graduate coursework, research, test prep, family stuff all going on at the same time distracted me a bit...oh well...at least I have 1 acceptance so far.

The older you get as a non-trad, the more important your MCAT score becomes 😱 Why? I don't really get it.

The books on ebay are a good deal, and they should be bought asap because there is a good chance ebay will remove the listing...I know this because I went through it with them when I listed my own personal set of these books last year...from ebay, TPR will not allow these books to be resold because its against the copyright from the classroom course.

The only caution is that I think the MCAT is or has been changed a little as of the next test...I do not know to what extent...or if it even matters.

I am not familiar with the Exam Crackers classes, but I do like their books...probably the best books you can actually buy at a book store, without paying $1500 or more for a prep course.

The best self-guided prep for the MCAT revolves around the TPR books that come from the classroom course...everything else (including Kaplan course books) gets too bogged-down in an insane amount of material that isn't even tested the majority of the time (certain topics are hit on more frequently, from test to test and series to series, than other topics). The TPR books have the best "flow".
 
The MCAT is a big deal because it tests knowledge retention, critical thinking, and endurance, all on a level playing field. I don't think it actually matters more for non-trads, but if it does, perhaps it's because non-trads are more likely to be several years away from their basic science courses.

I don't have experience with TPR books, but I will agree that the Kaplan books -- while having good information in them -- are somewhat cumbersome to go through by oneself. I found my best test prep materials to be the AAMC practice tests, my textbooks, and the Exam Krackers bio book. If the bio book is any indication, EK does a good job of presenting exactly what information is necessary to do well on the MCAT and making it relatively easy to absorb. The bio book would have been an awful source if I'd never taken bio, but it was an excellent review and reinforcement.
 
I teach for Kaplan and used their materials to prepare for the MCAT. My experience is that TPR and Kaplan are more or less comparable as far as what the courses cover, but they do differ in *how* they cover the material. TPR spends a lot more classroom time going over science, while Kaplan expects students to self-review more of the science and spends a greater proportion of the classroom time on strategy and practice. One is not inherently better than the other, but depending on your needs you may find one method more suitable for you. I am not familiar enough with EK to comment on them, but many students of mine and here on SDN swear by it, so it may be worth your while to check it out.

One caveat I will add is that whatever strategies you choose to use for test day, you must practice them extensively between now and then. (This means practice tests!) The Kaplan strategies worked well for me and work for many people. Ditto for TPR and EK. But you must practice your strategies of choice so that they are second nature to you on test day.

You can also visit our MCAT Study Questions subforum here on SDN for more tips and help with preparing for the MCAT. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. 🙂
 
dnetko said:
I was just wondering if there are any other non-trads out there who are freaking out about taking the MCAT? Being out of the science classes for about 3 years is making all of this material seem so overwhelming...I don't know where to begin! Does anyone have any advice on how to break up all of the materials covered? I have been following how Kaplan has been doing it, but I'm not sure if that is the most beneficial. Any advice would be great!!! 🙂

Hey.

I don't know your background so I'm not sure if mine will be of much help, but here goes... I also had been out of science classes for 3 years when I first started studying. I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a few review books. Went to a free diagnostic test offerred by Princeton Review, and also subscribed to the offical MCAT practice tests online. (Unfortunately, I can't remember the website offhand, but it shouldn't be too hard to find). It cost about $85 and you were given access to 6 or 7 practice tests that were composities of real previous MCATs. This is defintiely going to be worth it because I hear that it's going 100% computerized. Take a free diagnostic first and find what your weaknesses are. Then start to focus in on them. I'm a teacher, so I borrowed a physics textbook from the physics teacher and a biology text from the biology teacher. (I was the chemistry teacher, so I had that covered). And then I just started reviewing and practicing. I studied a little bit each afternoon for about 3 months. I did not use Kaplan or PR courses. This regimen worked well for me, but you have to decide what would work best for you. If you start this month, you still have a good bit of time to prepare for the April MCAT.

Good luck and don't freak out. :luck:
 
Thanks for all the tips...
I'm going to search for some of the Princeton Review materials online rather than signing up for the class. I'm finishing up graduate school this semester and working full-time, so a class doesn't really seem to fit into my schedule. Thanks for the break up of materials...makes it a little easier to digest.

I'll keep posting with any more questions!! 😳
 
I just wanted to say - I'm freaking out too.

I took a practice exam (from the back of the kaplan book) and got 11 V, 7 PS, 8 BS. pretty happy about the verbal score, but I have a lot of review and practice to do before I'm ready to go in April.

I'd love to go balls out and take the Kaplan course, but I've got a wife and daughter and can't spare the 2 nights a week plus full length practice exam times. I'm going to try to do 6 or 7 more practice exams before chilling out for a week before the April 22nd exam.

I'm just going to have to study late, and do some practice exams on my own from 8PM - 3AM. But If I can get a 27 or 28 timing myself while taking the MCAT practice exams at 3 AM, I should be able to get a 29 or 30 taking them after a full nights sleep.

Good luck to everyone.
 
I just took a verbal this morning. I can't believe I scored a 6. Really. How pathetic is that. I'm not freaking out yet. I only enrolled in one course this semester so I could devote the rest of my time to preparing for the MCAT. I'm taking the physical science here in a little bit. We'll see how that goes. I think I'm much stronger at that stuff than bio/verbal.
 
I'd suggest an MCAT study group, using the same review books. That way you can help each other out with questions, and do practice tests together. Good luck!! :luck:
 
Speaking for myself, AAMC practice exams were the best indicators of my scores and progress. Even though the test questions have "changed" over time, start with PTR3R...and work your way up to PTR8 or whatever they're at now. I personally did better on my non-AAMC practice exams (Kaplan, TBR, etc.) ... and worse on the AAMC ... and ended up with actual MCAT scores closer to AAMC practice exams. Just a word of caution. And lots of luck!! :luck:
 
Can I just say that since I have started reviewing for this exam, I have experienced total insomnia! I have never had trouble sleeping and I apparently am freaking out. Am I weird? 😱 😱
 
Over 16 years ago for me! I started in June for the August test. Used one of those big fat study guides and a very thin chemistry review book. Sample tests from AAMC. Didn't quite study enough and the actual test was a bitch (long and tiring) but I did OK. Don't sweat it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another point that I don't believe has been brought up is that if you allow yourself to enjoy problem solving the passages, the material will stick more.