Non-trad, great research, low GPA; WAMC for SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techtowhitecoat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the story,

3.00 cGPA
~2.8 sGPA
Top 10 LAC
Slight upward trend (3.1 Senior Fall, 3.5 Senior Spring, 3.5 Post-bac (only 8 credits))

MCAT: 27 (7PS/10VR/10BS) - retaking in January (should've voided after disastrous PS passage)

EC's:

Great research experience (1 first author pub in 8+IF oncology journal, 1 middle author manuscript in submission at NEJM, great LOR expected from PI, abstracts, posters, attending international conference in October)
2 Varsity sports (and some awards)
Volunteering (non-clinical)
Shadowing
Campus involvement
7 Years working part-time as a bartender
(Currently looking for clinical volunteering positions)

Currently taking Biochemistry while working full time in a lab. Plan to take at least 3 more courses by the end of next summer. Hope to bring GPA to 3.1/3.0s by then (and hopefully much improved MCAT).

With my current stats would I be competitive at well-known SMPs (i.e. BU, EVMS, Georgetown)? I've contacted admissions for some programs but haven't heard back.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

SMPs are a dime a dozen, so you should be able to find one for you.

So here's the story,

3.00 cGPA
~2.8 sGPA
Top 10 LAC
Slight upward trend (3.1 Senior Fall, 3.5 Senior Spring, 3.5 Post-bac (only 8 credits))

MCAT: 27 (7PS/10VR/10BS) - retaking in January (should've voided after disastrous PS passage)

EC's:

Great research experience (1 first author pub in 8+IF oncology journal, 1 middle author manuscript in submission at NEJM, great LOR expected from PI, abstracts, posters, attending international conference in October)
2 Varsity sports (and some awards)
Volunteering (non-clinical)
Shadowing
Campus involvement
7 Years working part-time as a bartender
(Currently looking for clinical volunteering positions)

Currently taking Biochemistry while working full time in a lab. Plan to take at least 3 more courses by the end of next summer. Hope to bring GPA to 3.1/3.0s by then (and hopefully much improved MCAT).

With my current stats would I be competitive at well-known SMPs (i.e. BU, EVMS, Georgetown)? I've contacted admissions for some programs but haven't heard back.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

I certainly realize there are many of these programs out there (and that it's more about the student's commitment than the program), but I guess what I'm asking is if I would be competitive at well-established programs with strong linkages or track records for placing high performing students in med school (namely BU, EVMS, and Georgetown are the programs I've heard about). These programs are tremendously expensive, but i realize with my ug gpa it is likely the most efficient path to get in. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly realize there are many of these programs out there (and that it's more about the student's commitment than the program), but I guess what I'm asking is if I would be competitive at well-established programs with strong linkages or track records for placing high performing students in med school (namely BU, EVMS, and Georgetown are the programs I've heard about). These programs are tremendously expensive, but i realize with my ug gpa it is likely the most efficient path to get in. Thank you!
I'd say it could go either way. The anecdotes go that it's best to have a 30, but people have gotten in with a 27. Unless you have a legit reason for MD, you'd just need a few retake for osteopathic school.

I certainly haven't ruled out DO programs - I have shadowed a orthopedic surgeon who's an osteopath and he was great. I am more inclined toward the allopathic route, however based on my experiences in oncology. I would really like to stay heavily involved in research (which is still of course possible as a DO, granted maybe less common in fields like oncology from my understanding). When the time comes I will definitely be applying to both MD and DO programs.

I certainly hope to get 30+ on my retake. Do you think it makes sense to wait until then to apply to SMPs since their apps are rolling?Thank you for your advice

If you're shooting for SMPs with high MD-acceptance rates, scoring 32+ on your MCAT would really help.

SMPs with high MD-acceptance rates tend to accept students that are highly likely to get accepted into MD programs anyway, but just need that bit of a GPA-push. Because of that, there is an expectation that your MCAT should either be solid or exemplary.

I certainly haven't ruled out DO programs - I have shadowed a orthopedic surgeon who's an osteopath and he was great. I am more inclined toward the allopathic route, however based on my experiences in oncology. I would really like to stay heavily involved in research (which is still of course possible as a DO, granted maybe less common in fields like oncology from my understanding). When the time comes I will definitely be applying to both MD and DO programs.

I certainly hope to get 30+ on my retake. Do you think it makes sense to wait until then to apply to SMPs since their apps are rolling?Thank you for your advice
Most people in DO school are simply not interested in research, which is why there aren't many DO researchers out there. As long as you have a good history of grants, nothing will stop you as a DO. Seriously consider this route before spending 50-70k to maybe get an MD.

for the SMPs you mentioned the average MCAT for accepted students is 31-32 but I do know someone who got into georgetown's program with a 28 so it is possible.

Thank you for your responses and advice. I think it might be best to reassess my standing after the MCAT retake. Is it crazy to think that if I apply next cycle with an improved GPA (and much improved MCAT) I would have a decent shot at DO with a (much slighter) chance at MD? Financially it certainly makes sense to continue taking DIY post-bacc classes while I still have the research position (which reimburses for the courses). On the other hand, I am only able to manage one or two classes per semester with a full-time job, so improving my GPA substantially is difficult. SMPs seem to offer a clean slate in a sense in terms of chances to prove academic preparedness for med school. I guess I'll just have to crush the MCAT on the retake and see how it goes.

For anyone who has experience with applying to SMPs...

Does it make sense to apply ASAP (given my above stats) and make a note that I have scheduled an MCAT retake for April?

OR

Do I wait until I have the new score to apply?

I've heard for students with weaker stats it's preferable to apply early to SMPs (i.e. when rolling admissions cycle opens), but I'm worried with a 27 my application won't get a close look.

Thank you to everyone for your advice