Non Trad in Europe-ask away

Started by Maskchamp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maskchamp

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a non trad in Europe, lots of people are coming here to study medicine, so ask away.
 
What country are you studying in and why did you decide to study there as opposed to applying to schools in the US? My understanding is that these programs are often six years long. Is that the case for you? If so, are you able to transfer science credits to get through the preclinical years faster? How do most students finance their education when studying in Europe?
 
I'm studying in Italy, Canadian. Decided to come here since I knew there was no chance of me getting into med school in Canada and I also didn't have any interest living in the US or accumulating that much debt. It's quite difficult to get accepted too there I believe.

Correct, 6 years with the last year being a thesis year. To get my chances of getting into Canada up, I would have had to do a Masters or something similar, which would take 2 years anyway so doing 6 years directly in medical school made more sense to me. I did transfer a ton of credits my first year which made the adjustment that much easier, but you are not allowed to skip years as you have to get your education through 6 years. And also the heavy subjects in the first 2 years like Anatomy and Physiology are never credited.

Finance is usually saved up money if you're on the older side, family, or if you do go to a public school, fees are very very cheap. No more than 4000 euros a year, which is about 3700 USD. Private schools are more, depending on the one you would like, like 19k. Some say it's worth it, others say not so much. That's a personal preference. The facilites though are much much better and your doctor student ratio is 1:1 while in public it can be 15:1.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had looked at the Italian programs before deciding to do a more traditional postbac in the states. Thanks for sharing. I know there's a lot already on this topic but can you share your thoughts and experiences about matching in North America for residency? Do you see yourself staying in Europe after medical school?
 
Matching in the States, I do not know much about. School is recognized by the US so that's kind of all I know, but they are working out an agreement with FAFSA. Not sure, I would love to go back to Canada, but I really like Europe a lot too so would not mind staying here. You have everything, seriously everything. It's harder for the Americans to stay here since they always only speak English 🙂