Non trad looking for advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midlifemedlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! so long story short I’m a bit confused on what pathway to take. I used to be pre-med when I was in undergrad (graduated in 2013). I finished all the pre-reqs and did upper level science courses as well! I got three C+ that I received in my freshman and sophomore year but then all the harder courses I aced (Orgo, biochem, molecular cell biology) or received a B+(so there was an upward trend). I took a year off and continued to volunteer and research. However in 2015 I was in a bad car crash and was bedridden for almost a year. Money became tight and my family went through some pretty tough times. I kept delaying it and now I’m not sure how to restart. I took the MCAT last year and got a 510 but I can always make it better. Do you think I should retake all my pre med requirements? Should I do an SMP even though I haven’t been in a classroom for seven years? I’m assuming I need strong LOR’s from professors so I’m willing to take whatever classes, but I just don’t know if I should focus on retaking at a state school (starting over) or taking other higher level science courses? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

Only retake classes that are C- or below. You're better off taking high level sciences full-time for a year to boost your GPA. Connect with those professors and get some LORs.

Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

oh wow thanks for the great link! Yeah I was planning to take even more upper level science classes but I was worried my other basic pre-reqs would expire! do you think I should attempt to get into an SMP or just take the classes on my own at a local college!

Members don't see this ad :)
You would need LORs to apply to SMPs anyway which I assume you don't have at the moment. Stick to your local college to see if you can ace a semester of high level sciences and replan from there. 2 birds 1 stone.

SMPs are high risk high reward so unless your GPA is absolutely unrepairable, they should be considered as a last resort.

What is your cGPA and sGPA? A 510 MCAT is just below the median for matriculating students, which is to say, that it is not a bad score. I wouldn't encourage you to retake it unless your score is unbalanced with section(s) below a 125. I agree that an SMP isn't an appropriate move until after 2 unsuccessful cycles.

You would need LORs to apply to SMPs anyway which I assume you don't have at the moment. Stick to your local college to see if you can ace a semester of high level sciences and replan from there. 2 birds 1 stone.

SMPs are high risk high reward so unless your GPA is absolutely unrepairable, they should be considered as a last resort.
Okay thanks for the advice!! I will plan to take some high classes like anatomy!

What is your cGPA and sGPA? A 510 MCAT is just below the median for matriculating students, which is to say, that it is not a bad score. I wouldn't encourage you to retake it unless your score is unbalanced with section(s) below a 125. I agree that an SMP isn't an appropriate move until after 2 unsuccessful cycles.
3.4/3.3 I know these are low which is why I thought I should retake but maybe I can just add more higher level classes! I misread ur reply first and thought I should retake it but hopefully my score will be okay for now! I’m mostly looking at DO schools since I know I likely won’t make it to MD at this point!

3.4/3.3 I know these are low which is why I thought I should retake but maybe I can just add more higher level classes! I misread ur reply first and thought I should retake it but hopefully my score will be okay for now! I’m mostly looking at DO schools since I know I likely won’t make it to MD at this point!

Your stats are in range for DO. If you have all the pieces of your application together you could apply this upcoming cycle.

Your stats are in range for DO. If you have all the pieces of your application together you could apply this upcoming cycle.
Unfortunately I don’t have strong LoR especially for my classes since it’s been so long since I took the classes but maybe I can next cycle!! I’ll hopefully be able to get some once I take more classes! I had an old committee letter right after I graduated (I was basically ready before all the curveballs) so i don’t think it’ll count anymore!

Unfortunately I don’t have strong LoR especially for my classes since it’s been so long since I took the classes but maybe I can next cycle!! I’ll hopefully be able to get some once I take more classes! I had an old committee letter right after I graduated (I was basically ready before all the curveballs) so i don’t think it’ll count anymore!

contact the committee to see if they would be willing to update the letter. If not, when you start classes, ask each of your professors what you would need to do to earn a LoR from them. This way they know that you want to ask for one and can tell you what to do to get a strong rec.

contact the committee to see if they would be willing to update the letter. If not, when you start classes, ask each of your professors what you would need to do to earn a LoR from them. This way they know that you want to ask for one and can tell you what to do to get a strong rec.
Okay I will! Thank you for all the advice!! I didn’t think I’d ever have a chance to restart this crazy journey so I’m ready to do whatever it takes! :)