non-trad looking for guidance. where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonotes9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that your crisis line volunteering would fall into the "clinical volunteering" bucket.

What is you sGPA and cGPA now?

I would apply broadly to MD schools.
I would suggest against DO with those stats, but with this virus I don’t think anyone knows for sure how this season will shake out. The good news is, the DO cycle is way later, and you can decide to apply to them based on how solid you feel your MD chances are (based on #of interviews you are getting/what others are experiencing).

Everyone is advised to apply to some “reach” schools,lots of “mid” schools, and a few “safety” schools, generally.
Your app seems solid, though, so as long as you interview well I can’t imagine you not getting some good offers

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you need to get some clinical volunteering as a lack of that will be fatal to your application. You need to be able to show that you understand what you’re getting into - especially as a career changer. Look into volunteering options at local hospitals, free clinics, and hospice, though all options are likely to be restricted in the near term due to covid 19.

You will get better info if you include your sGPA, cGPA, and state of residence.

As someone who is URM, it may benefit you to consider programs in states with low percentages of URM in their population - ex. flyover states without large URM populations like: WV, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc... But I don't know that you need that with your scores if you get the clinical shadowing people are recommending. Hospitals are open 24/7. Ours lets people sign up online to shadow.

As someone who is URM, it may benefit you to consider programs in states with low percentages of URM in their population - ex. flyover states without large URM populations like: WV, Iowa, Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc... But I don't know that you need that with your scores if you get the clinical shadowing people are recommending. Hospitals are open 24/7. Ours lets people sign up online to shadow.
I disagree with this because these schools are not OOS friendly, and they're not exactly friendly to minorities, either.

OP, you are a very competitive candidate

Ohio medical schools (UC, OSU, Toledo, Wright State) accept significant OOS applicants and are very eager to increase the percentage of qualified URM students.

I do think adding a volunteer service opportunity with face-to-face time with patients or underserved population would be helpful.

I also agree you a competitive MD applicant but I always recommend adding a couple reputable DO programs is prudent (ex. OUCOM in Athens, OH).

I disagree with this because these schools are not OOS friendly, and they're not exactly friendly to minorities, either.

In the case of my medical school, it almost lost accreditation due to lack of minorities. They managed to make a case that underserved economically disadvantaged and first generation college students in Appalachia counted as minorities. They are always actively looking for URM. My program was/is not unfriendly to minorities. I obviously can't speak to all programs.

I think it's smart to hedge your bets and put a few places on your list that are less desirable since medicine is so competitive. I also think I got a great education at my medical school, and of all the places I applied, I'm glad I went there, even though it's not the big city location most people seem to want.

• Inappropriate
Your app looks great. Shadowing counts as clinical exp, btw, and it is absolutey CRUCIAL (clincial experience, that is). Aim for mid-tier plus a few "reach" schools. Looks competitive but I wouldn't say "very competitive;" to split hairs--just trying to be sure that you apply to enough safety & mid-tier schools.

Last edited: