Non-trad love!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avpu

Just here?!?!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to voice my opinion on the difference between the pre allo threads and the non-trad rooms threads. You can see the maturity difference and the support that we give each other simply based on the topics and the feedback given. So here is to us, keep it going.

Members don't see this ad.

And on the same note congrats to all those out there that have recieved the acceptance that we all crave. Great job and good luck.

I just want to voice my opinion on the difference between the pre allo threads and the non-trad rooms threads. You can see the maturity difference and the support that we give each other simply based on the topics and the feedback given. So here is to us, keep it going.

Yes, people with a serious question post it on the non-trad thread. Even if we don't know the exact problem, everyone here seems to do their best to answer each other's questions. By now, I think the pre-allo thread has degenerated into a disinformation, disillusionment campaign.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mind pre-allo. I stay out of the school-specific threads though - are those bad?

I don't mind pre-allo. I stay out of the school-specific threads though - are those bad?

Yes. :)

Let me qualify that: it's not that the posts themselves are anything "bad," but frequenting those threads is not great for your mental health. They're just a bunch of people reporting their file completions, interview invites and acceptances to a given school--but it can be nerve-wracking to compare yourself to applicants who've progressed further than you have. When you're waiting for months with no word from a school, which is the experience of most applicants, it only makes you feel worse to learn that others have already gotten in.

And, as ChairmanMao said, there's a tremendous amount of misinformation and even disinformation over there. When pre-allos don't know the answer to a question, they have an unfortunate tendency to make up the answer rather than going to a reliable source to get the information. When coupled with the herd instinct that also seems to prevail over there, you often see mass panic set off by a piece of utter bs that someone has posted. Not pretty.

Over here, at least, we seem to know how to behave like grown-ups. And I'm really proud of how much we help each other out, despite the fact that we could very well be competing for admission at the same schools. People in this forum seem to understand that a win for one of us is a win for us all.:thumbup:

Over here, at least, we seem to know how to behave like grown-ups. And I'm really proud of how much we help each other out, despite the fact that we could very well be competing for admission at the same schools. People in this forum seem to understand that a win for one of us is a win for us all.:thumbup:

Hear Hear. :thumbup::thumbup:

Though I must admit that I'm guilty of the progress posting.

Hi student,

agree with the general idea that us more experienced folk often have a more balanced/less neurotic take on things. Or should I say, our motivation is tempered by experience and the reality that things often take longer or are more difficult than we'd prefer.

one thing to point out in favor of non-trad threads - I use them for status update - i.e. learned that Wake Forest seems to favor phone calls/candidate contacts on the allo thread, I contacted them, and learned something new about my file. What's confusing (and I've experienced this) is when different people contact the admissions office and are told slightly different things.. I know they're only human, but it's tough for us trying to figure out, say, a realistic timeframe from 2ndary to possible interview.

It seems safest to take most of what you read with a grain of salt, and try not to get disheartened by all the "perfect stats" candidates out there!

Though I must admit that I'm guilty of the progress posting.

one thing to point out in favor of non-trad threads - I use them for status update

I didn't mean to make people feel guilty about looking at (or even posting on) the pre-allo school progress threads--I do it myself from time to time :), and I have learned useful information from them. I was just agreeing with sindadel's earlier post that it's not wise to spend too much time in them. IMO, if you constantly check those threads, you may start to dwell excessively on the progress you may NOT have achieved at a given school.

As for the nontrad progress threads, I put them in a different category. (OK, maybe it's not intellectually consistent, but so what.) Because we have one big thread for everyone's progress at all of the schools, I see it as more of a celebration of everyone's progress in the application process than at a particular school.

Why not check out the pre-Osteo forum, while yer at it.
Just DO it.

DO IT.... do it.

Non-trads rock!! I got <3 here when I was applying...keep it up guys! Having some "real-world" experience has definitely been a benefit during my journey. It's rough, I'm not gonna lie. But I'm hopeful that, in the long run, it will be worth it. It's an amazing feeling to walk around the hospital in your white coat with a stethescope around your neck (which you now know how to use), even though people stop you left and right just to ask you for directions...having your patients refer to you as "doctor" after you've corrected them for the 100,000th time...hearing them say "thank you" and genuinely mean it (despite popular belief, this still happens)...being able to consult radiology or neurology or nephrology or oncology and actually know wtf you're talking about...holding your (and your patient's) ground when a tech is trying to block your consult...going to morning report or noon conference and actually being able to contribute...discharging one of your favorite patients from the hospital after they have recovered and telling them, in jest but also in all seriousness, that you hope you will NEVER see them again...

I sure hope it's worth it.

Good luck to all the applicants! Go non-trads!!