Non-trad MCAT prep advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassafras75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the MCAT discussion forum is overflowing with these threads, but I was hoping to gain some advice from my peers.

I'm a 29 year old first year applicant. Unfortunately, it has been +10 years since I've taken any of my prerequisites and I really don't think I grasped physics the first time...although I passed w/o issue. My first 2 MCAT attempts have been less than stellar, but I've already applied for this round...

Apr 04
V 9
P 7
B 9
W L

Aug 04
V 7
P 8
B 10
W L

NO IMPROVEMENT even after studying diligently for 4 mo with ExamKrackers review books prior to Aug (first attempt I studied with Kaplan course materials from class participant for about 2 mo). Given my work schedule (I'm a pharmacist with little flexibility), I guess I haven't devoted enough effort to the review process. However, I really feel that I need a structured classroom environment to help me through this....and better essay critique since my husband (and tutor) was an English lit major...you can see where that got me.

Any opinions on which MCAT prep course is best for the non-trad student who needs more than a review? Would I be better served to take a university writing course (although I don't need to)?

Also, I will most likely be leaving at least one job (work 2 part-time positions) in early 2005 to devote my time to this...

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

sassafras75 said:
I know the MCAT discussion forum is overflowing with these threads, but I was hoping to gain some advice from my peers.

I'm a 29 year old first year applicant. Unfortunately, it has been +10 years since I've taken any of my prerequisites and I really don't think I grasped physics the first time...although I passed w/o issue. My first 2 MCAT attempts have been less than stellar, but I've already applied for this round...

Apr 04
V 9
P 7
B 9
W L

Aug 04
V 7
P 8
B 10
W L

NO IMPROVEMENT even after studying diligently for 4 mo with ExamKrackers review books prior to Aug (first attempt I studied with Kaplan course materials from class participant for about 2 mo). Given my work schedule (I'm a pharmacist with little flexibility), I guess I haven't devoted enough effort to the review process. However, I really feel that I need a structured classroom environment to help me through this....and better essay critique since my husband (and tutor) was an English lit major...you can see where that got me.

Any opinions on which MCAT prep course is best for the non-trad student who needs more than a review? Would I be better served to take a university writing course (although I don't need to)?

Also, I will most likely be leaving at least one job (work 2 part-time positions) in early 2005 to devote my time to this...

Thanks in advance

For the record, I'll tell you up front that I work for Kaplan, so I'm not totally unbiased. :)

In all seriousness, no one can tell you what is best for your specific situation. What I would recommend that you do is contact all of the test prep companies in your area, meet with the Center Manager and the MCAT instructor if possible, and compare the programs so that you can make an informed decision about which one best suits you. Even individual companies have multiple programs. Kaplan has both a classroom based option and a computer based option, for example. You've already decided that you'd do better with a classroom based program. So now you need to compare classes and instructors. I know that doing this will take a lot of time and effort up front, but taking these classes is a huge investment of your money, time, and energy, so it's well worth your while to do your homework first.

Good luck with everything. I am about the same age as you, and I just took the MCAT this past summer and hadn't looked at physics or biology in several years, so I totally understand how you feel!!!

sassafras75 said:

Apr 04
V 9
P 7
B 9
W L

Aug 04
V 7
P 8
B 10
W L

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

I did well with the Princeton Review. They go over all of the subjects quite thoroughly. Their notes were all that I studied. I raised my score 8 points with PR. I highly recommend it. I took all of their exams as if they were the real exams. I scored pretty much the same as their mock exams. I say if you don't score well with their mocks, then postpone taking the MCAT until you can raise your scores to an acceptable level.

Just my two cents, :)
psychedoc2b

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, maybe I did read your post wrong but if your pre-reqs are that old you may want to "brush up". I mean science has moved on quite a from a decade ago. Also with no recent coursework you may face and uphill battle to get accepted. Adcoms are looking for folks that not only can take standard exams but those that have demonstrated via recent coursework that they can "hack it" medical school is ALL about taking classes like 32 cr hours just FYI.

efex101 said:
Okay, maybe I did read your post wrong but if your pre-reqs are that old you may want to "brush up". I mean science has moved on quite a from a decade ago. Also with no recent coursework you may face and uphill battle to get accepted. Adcoms are looking for folks that not only can take standard exams but those that have demonstrated via recent coursework that they can "hack it" medical school is ALL about taking classes like 32 cr hours just FYI.

I agree....medical schools do not favorably on people who have been out of school for a long period of time. It may be best to retake some of these science courses. Good luck.

I agree with efex101 and PugGirl. Also, if I recall correctly, some medical schools will actually say in their requirements that you should have taken your pre-reqs within the past five years or so. As previously stated, they want to make sure that the applicants they accept can handle a full course load of science/medical material.

NYCmed said:
Also, if I recall correctly, some medical schools will actually say in their requirements that you should have taken your pre-reqs within the past five years or so.

What schools are saying this? Some schools have said that it does not matter how long ago you took the pre-reqs. I have heard that some schools want you to have recent coursework, not necessarily the pre-reqs.

BSChemE said:
What schools are saying this? Some schools have said that it does not matter how long ago you took the pre-reqs. I have heard that some schools want you to have recent coursework, not necessarily the pre-reqs.

I won't mention the actual name of the school, but I was told by a Dean of Admissions that they "strongly recommend" that the pre-reqs be less than 10 years old for their school.

While some schools may legitimately not care about the age of pre-reqs, and probably very few actually put in writing their criteria for how recent they are, I would not be surprised at all to learn that there is a strong bias on the part of adcoms against pre-reqs that are older. I'm sure that if the person has taken advanced level science courses recently, then the age of the pre-reqs becomes less of a factor.

If the original poster hasn't already done so, I would strongly recommend making an appointment with some admissions people in different schools that you are interested in. Maybe you have taken recent science course work - you didn't specify. But if you haven't, improving your MCAT score may not matter if they think your course work is too old.

Obviously, repeating the pre-reqs will take a lot more time than a MCAT prep course, but you may gain more by retaking and relearning the core material than taking a class that is designed for "review".

Good luck -
Amy

AmyBEMT said:
I won't mention the actual name of the school, but I was told by a Dean of Admissions that they "strongly recommend" that the pre-reqs be less than 10 years old for their school.

While some schools may legitimately not care about the age of pre-reqs, and probably very few actually put in writing their criteria for how recent they are, I would not be surprised at all to learn that there is a strong bias on the part of adcoms against pre-reqs that are older. I'm sure that if the person has taken advanced level science courses recently, then the age of the pre-reqs becomes less of a factor.

If the original poster hasn't already done so, I would strongly recommend making an appointment with some admissions people in different schools that you are interested in. Maybe you have taken recent science course work - you didn't specify. But if you haven't, improving your MCAT score may not matter if they think your course work is too old.

Obviously, repeating the pre-reqs will take a lot more time than a MCAT prep course, but you may gain more by retaking and relearning the core material than taking a class that is designed for "review".

Good luck -
Amy

I do not think it is fair for medical schools to have a time limit on the pre-reqs especially if someone is able to get a good score on the MCAT. If you are able to get a good score, you obviously know the material. Some people do not have the time to go back and retake the pre-reqs.

You are correct. Most schools do not have the time requirement for their pre-reqs in writing. You have to call each school and ask them. Some schools might say that they do not care how old the pre-reqs are but still might be a little biased during the admissions process. :(

I hope that recent, advanced science coursework is a factor if the pre-reqs are old.

BSChemE said:
I hope that recent, advanced science coursework is a factor if the pre-reqs are old.

In lieu of recent prereq coursework, many med schools look for recent coursework in science classes. For me, this means graduate coursework in the medical sciences which is acceptable to all of the schools (teir 1-3) on my list.

And Efex is right, science especially biological science, has changed a LOT! :wow:

sassafras75 said:

This means people close to your age right and with life experience. :p

I know people who got in with your scores. Of course, they applied to lower-tier primary care schools.

Last edited:
BSChemE said:
AmyBEMT stated my point more specifically than I did. Thanks, AmyBEMT. :D

Princeton Review worked well for me. Sophomore test score as baseline = 0 (no prep), Junior test score = +1 (attended Princeton Review instructor course), 7 years after graduation test score = +5 (studied my rear off in Princeton Review course).

I was in my 5th year of my phd work, and 6 years removed from my last test when I retook the MCAT. There was no way I could organize my own study schedule (especially revisiting things I hadn't even thought of in that amount of time). So, I broke down and enrolled in TPR, essentially working all day, and going straight to class, and studying when I got home and on the weekends. I concentrated mostly on Verbal, since this was always my weakest point. My score in '95 was 34S (9V, 14P, 11B), and brought it up to a 36R (11V, 12P, 13B). I think I most certainly would have gone down if I hadn't taken TPR.

Just my .02 as a non-trad who had pre-reqs 10yrs ago ('93-94), and as someone who did not do a prep course (13,10,10 R).

Your MCAT score should never be a surprise (though I am sure there are lots of exceptions). If you take lots of timed practise exams (4+) you should get a pretty darn good idea of where you will stand on test day give or take a few points. So take practise exams and review the results thoroughly.

The MCAT is an endurance test. You need to concentrate HARD for 6 hours or so, reading each question for detail to be certain you know what they are asking before you mark an oval. The practise tests are the way train yourself to increase your endurance.

While biology as a field has changed A LOT, the biology that is covered on the MCAT has not changed that much. You need to update for some genetics and biochemistry but the vast majority is the same.

I worked full time (and a had daughter) during my prep so I recorded my readings on tape and played them during my commute to work. Again and again and again. I have approximately 12 90 minute tapes at home. I will probably do this again in Med school.

And I would second the suggestion that you take some classes, to show you can still hack it and to demonstrate your desire/interest in Med school/human biology.

Best of luck to you.

MoosePilot said:
Princeton Review worked well for me. Sophomore test score as baseline = 0 (no prep), Junior test score = +1 (attended Princeton Review instructor course), 7 years after graduation test score = +5 (studied my rear off in Princeton Review course).

I took the MCAT 15 years after completing my prereq's. I don't think I could have done well if I didn't take a few science courses for review. I also took the Kaplan MCAT prep course. The prep course mainly teaches test-taking skills, and isn't good at helping you re-learn the material.

Another issue that someone raised is that most medical schools require you to have taken some science within the past 5 years.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Best of luck.

It all depends on what school you want to apply to. I did Princeton R. It worked OK. My grades are average (undergrad). If the school wants your science work to be more current, do it. If not, Don't waste time in more classes. The MCAT is a test you have to practice. Practice, practice practice! Most of everything you need is right there. You just have to be very good at this test. You just need to be fast and efficient.

pathdr2b said:
In lieu of recent prereq coursework, many med schools look for recent coursework in science classes. For me, this means graduate coursework in the medical sciences which is acceptable to all of the schools (teir 1-3) on my list.

And Efex is right, science especially biological science, has changed a LOT! :wow:

I can't comment on whether schools have a bias towards candidates who have recently taken the pre-requisites because I have no clue on that. I would figure if you did well in your classes when you took them and did well on your MCAT, then I would hope ADComs would notice that. Also depends on what you did while you were not in school.

I have been out of school since 1998 and have worked as a software engineer since then. I got something like a 3.4 in Undergrad/Grad, and I took the August 2004 MCAT and got a 31S. I was quite happy (and surprised) at my score.

BTW, while I think we have learned more about biological sciences in the past 8 years, for the MCAT there isn't much difference at all. I couldn't detect anything.

Just make sure that the schools that you are applying to do *not* care about the age of pre-reqs for some do. This can be found at medical school web pages.

BSChemE said:

All Canadian Med schools - if you have a grad degree, then you don't have to retake prereqs
Duke - retake prereqs over 5 years old
Howard - I was told several different things retake old prereqs / don't retake / take upper level scence courses
Ross - take upper level science courses
Northwestern - take upper level science courses
ECU - you don't have to retake courses but we recommend taking upper level science courses

I'm choosing NOT to retake old prereqs (okay, I retook organic I/II), but I'm taking upper level science courses (and I slipped in a statistics course). So I have limited the number of schools to which I can apply.

At first, I felt the same as you and when I retook Organic I/II I was surprised at how much I remembered, but I was also surpised at how much I forgot. Plus, all of my old professors have moved on and they weren't available to write LORs for me. So, it's worked out.

Reckoning said:
While biology as a field has changed A LOT, the biology that is covered on the MCAT has not changed that much. You need to update for some genetics and biochemistry but the vast majority is the same.

Yeah, I don't think it's changed really at all on the MCAT.