Non-trad: Old MCAT vs New MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJRousseau

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, suppose one took the MCAT in undergraduate under the old test and performed poorly or average (or in my case, well with what I perceive to be a test day fluke terrible section that I still can't really explain). Now, suppose that the person has a fully funded international opportunity (e.g. MBA, Master's in Public Health, PhD) present itself that he/she chooses to pursue before medical school application that still fits with their overall career goals as a physician down the line. Flash forward at the end of the experience and with a bit of shadowing back home and clinical volunteering abroad, patient care is definitely part of his/her career picture and they put in their application and sit the MCAT 2015. With the previous score expired and no longer valid at most schools, how will it be considered, if at all? For the sake of the hypothetical let's assume the new exam goes extremely well.

It's a bit of a moot point for me as I'm applying and it is what it is, but out of curiosity and for the sake of other non-traditional students who are likely to be in similar situations over the next 1-5 years I thought I would ask the question.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, suppose one took the MCAT in undergraduate under the old test and performed poorly or average (or in my case, well with what I perceive to be a test day fluke terrible section that I still can't really explain). Now, suppose that the person has a fully funded international opportunity (e.g. MBA, Master's in Public Health, PhD) present itself that he/she chooses to pursue before medical school application that still fits with their overall career goals as a physician down the line. Flash forward at the end of the experience and with a bit of shadowing back home and clinical volunteering abroad, patient care is definitely part of his/her career picture and they put in their application and sit the MCAT 2015. With the previous score expired and no longer valid at most schools, how will it be considered, if at all? For the sake of the hypothetical let's assume the new exam goes extremely well.

It's a bit of a moot point for me as I'm applying and it is what it is, but out of curiosity and for the sake of other non-traditional students who are likely to be in similar situations over the next 1-5 years I thought I would ask the question.

They will still see old scores. If its pretty old, it probably would hold less weight if you got a good score now. But its not like they won't unsee it.

@Goro do you think schools will eventually stop averaging old mcat scores with new ones? I feel like even though it's a similar test, it is a bit unfair for schools to see or incorporate let's say a low score from 5 years ago and try to average it with a competitive score from this year. <br /><br />Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that schools will stop looking at the old exam.

@Goro do you think schools will eventually stop averaging old mcat scores with new ones? I feel like even though it's a similar test, it is a bit unfair for schools to see or incorporate let's say a low score from 5 years ago and try to average it with a competitive score from this year. <br /><br />Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Oh well. Shoot. I wonder if they still take scores from the 90s. This is so trivial but nothing I can do but put myself out there and hope for the best