Non-trad on waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ob_dc22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently added to an MD waitlist and I'm not sure what the next steps are. I plan on sending out an update letter that discusses my research and volunteer projects. I work full-time in a lab and also part-time as a tutor. I thought the interview went well, but the glaring weak points of my application are my undergraduate GPA (several F's several years ago) as well as my clinical experience.

Do I assume that is why I am on the waitlist and try to make up by these deficits by trying to find something clinical to do when I'm not working? Will taking upper level science classes improve my chances at all? Is it not advised to reach out to the schools and ask them areas I can improve to improve my chances of gaining admittance?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I'll be much more at ease once I have a set plan for how to approach the coming months.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A waitlist can take many forms and I wouldn’t make inferences about how/why you are on one at this point. The fact of the matter is that it is still early in the cycle and a waitlist can mean that your app is still in play. It could be that it is just too early in the cycle for schools to release many acceptances. It could also be that you may be admitted or end up on a high priority waitlist later in the cycle. Updates are good to send if you have something of significance to update the school about. New significant activities may have a positive impact but just updating about experiences or hours is likely not going to have an impact. At this point taking additional classes will not have an impact on this cycle but may be helpful in a future cycle.

At this point you should not reach out for feedback. Wait until the cycle is over prior to dot doing that.

Reactions: 2 users
A waitlist can take many forms and I wouldn’t make inferences about how/why you are on one at this point. The fact of the matter is that it is still early in the cycle and a waitlist can mean that your app is still in play. It could be that it is just too early in the cycle for schools to release many acceptances. It could also be that you may be admitted or end up on a high priority waitlist later in the cycle. Updates are good to send if you have something of significance to update the school about. New significant activities may have a positive impact but just updating about experiences or hours is likely not going to have an impact. At this point taking additional classes will not have an impact on this cycle but may be helpful in a future cycle.

At this point you should not reach out for feedback. Wait until the cycle is over prior to dot doing that.
Thank you for the information!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish you all the best! Depending on the school, an update letter is a great way to show your continued interest in the school. I would also recommend sending a letter of interest (or intent if it is your #1 choice), which may help with your application. Sometimes you can e-mail/call the school as well to ask if they have any insight on other actions you can take to show your continued interest in their program and improve your chances for admission. All the best!

I wish you all the best! Depending on the school, an update letter is a great way to show your continued interest in the school. I would also recommend sending a letter of interest (or intent if it is your #1 choice), which may help with your application. Sometimes you can e-mail/call the school as well to ask if they have any insight on other actions you can take to show your continued interest in their program and improve your chances for admission. All the best!
Would sending a letter of interest really help?
I could see how 'intent' could benefit you, as you're giving your word as your bond that you will attend their school if they grant that seat to you.
But if you applied to the school, I hope you 'intended' to give them your consideration, if you see what I'm thinking?

By sending a letter of interest, you are letting them know that you are still interested in being considered for their program. If worded properly, it can definitely help you stand out. If you can convey convincing, school-specific reasons as to why you are highly interested in their program and explain why you think you are a good fit for them it can definitely help. You can also use these letters to provide updates to your application.

By sending a letter of interest, you are letting them know that you are still interested in being considered for their program. If worded properly, it can definitely help you stand out. If you can convey convincing, school-specific reasons as to why you are highly interested in their program and explain why you think you are a good fit for them it can definitely help. You can also use these letters to provide updates to your application.
I disagree with this Logic for several reasons.
The school already knows you're interested, because you sent them an application.

How Would you interpret a non binding contract from a desperate applicant?

A Letter of interest is no different than a guy at a bar saying to some gal, I'll still go to the prom with you if you're interested.

Most admissions Deans treat these as lies anyway

So you’re suggesting you should send letters of intent to multiple programs? Applying to a medical school doesn’t really convey that much interest when when applicants apply to 25+ programs.

It seemed the LOIs are treated differently program to program. Presumably the schools that take a lot of people from the wait list like to see them more than a school with super high yield. A couple schools added a new page to their waitlisted folks’ application portals later in the cycle last year, they basically said if you are seriously interested in coming here to respond to the prompt. So basically a forced LOI before they decided to take you off the list or not.