Non-trad Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisterBurns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried a search but didn't find an exact answer to my question, but I'm sorry if I missed it. If I am 26-27 when I start my first year od med school, does that make me a nontrad just be being over 25? I took two years off of school after my first semester at junior college, but have been back full time for nearly two years and will be applying to med school without a break in between getting my bac and the application process. Does this make me traditional, or am I still nontrad due to my age?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried a search but didn't find an exact answer to my question, but I'm sorry if I missed it. If I am 26-27 when I start my first year od med school, does that make me a nontrad just be being over 25? I took two years off of school after my first semester at junior college, but have been back full time for nearly two years and will be applying to med school without a break in between getting my bac and the application process. Does this make me traditional, or am I still nontrad due to my age?

You're age and trajectory both make you a non-trad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based upon my conversations with various admissions officers I don't think the 'non-trad' label hurts you.

IMHO, what will strengthen your application are

• GPA
  • Science background
  • MCAT performance
  • Work/volunteer experience that demonstrates a commitment to medicine and a commitment to serving the under-served
  • Apply early
  • Making sure your application is complete
  • Strong letters of recommendation
  • Excellent, non-cliche, essay

Alright thanks Moose, that's what I thought. Does the "non-trad" label hurt you in the admission process?

Not in your case. You are barely a non-trad, but enough so that you can sell your maturity, etc. to schools and interviewers.

The only ways I could see being a non-trad hurt you in the application process are if you are above an age they feel acceptable to attend medical school and start practicing (this would vary by school and adcom member), or if you are an older candidate and just wasted your life and have no real life experiences to enrich you as a person (This is 90% presentation and 10% experience, imo).

Not in your case. You are barely a non-trad, but enough so that you can sell your maturity, etc. to schools and interviewers.

The only ways I could see being a non-trad hurt you in the application process are if you are above an age they feel acceptable to attend medical school and start practicing (this would vary by school and adcom member), or if you are an older candidate and just wasted your life and have no real life experiences to enrich you as a person (This is 90% presentation and 10% experience, imo).

Completely agree with this. My sister-in-law just matriculated into a very non-trad friendly school at the age of 38. It really is about presentation, and making one's experience mesh well with future goals.