non trad reapplying questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MVP2026

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I sent in my appplicatin for the second cycle in a row now. Problem is I have no idea what was wrong on my first application. I made some changes, added things into it, but no real content changes outside of that. I retook the MCAT yesterday but I know that won't be available this cycle. I took it planning for the next cycle. I requested an application review from a school applied to last year that offered this process but they kept telling me my request was being processed. Apparently it never happened. So my first question:

1) Is there any good services or experienced people willing to go over applications to fine tune them and make corrections as needed?

I also had a very bad first few years in college. After which, I went into the Marine Corp, came out and did exceptionally better but my overall GPA on the apps reflects the average from both periods.This leads into my second question:

2) Do the schools look primarily at the total GPA or will take into account my GPA post military? I don't want my application to be dropped on the "no" pile simply because it listed my total GPA as a 2.3 when its much higher.

Thanks for any help or info you can pass on!
Thanks!
Martin.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest making an MD apps profile. It would make it a lot easier for people to give you advice.

Knowing nothing else about you, my advice would be to apply earlier. A lot earlier. Like, in July. Also, if you haven't seen the nontrad forum yet, come check it out.

OK, I sent in my appplicatin for the second cycle in a row now. Problem is I have no idea what was wrong on my first application. I made some changes, added things into it, but no real content changes outside of that. I retook the MCAT yesterday but I know that won't be available this cycle. I took it planning for the next cycle. I requested an application review from a school applied to last year that offered this process but they kept telling me my request was being processed. Apparently it never happened. So my first question:

1) Is there any good services or experienced people willing to go over applications to fine tune them and make corrections as needed?

I also had a very bad first few years in college. After which, I went into the Marine Corp, came out and did exceptionally better but my overall GPA on the apps reflects the average from both periods.This leads into my second question:

2) Do the schools look primarily at the total GPA or will take into account my GPA post military? I don't want my application to be dropped on the "no" pile simply because it listed my total GPA as a 2.3 when its much higher.

Thanks for any help or info you can pass on!
Thanks!
Martin.

If you've already "sent in your application" the window for us to give useful advice is kind of over... In general, reapplicants need to show improvement from the prior cycle, so if the application s basically the same, that's not a good use of your resources. Instead of applying with an eye to the next cycle, you really should have skipped the current cycle. If you had solicited advice earlier, that would have been the answer. If you want advice going forward, assuming your results for the current cycle are the same as the last, my advice is to hold off applying until you can show pretty substantial improvement.