Non-Trad Road to Success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamChaser94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, looking for some advice or tips to improve my current situation.

I am currently 19 years of age and in my 3rd year of Nursing (BScN); I went into this program as an unmotivated high school student that had good grades and not a clue what he wanted to do with his life. I will be completing this program first and plan on working as a nurse while taking the required courses for med school. My current program has provided me with over 400 hours of clinical experience which spans from working at an old-aged home to being on an acute care floor at the hospital. I am also a volunteer at the local hospital and do work with underprivileged kids through another volunteer network; trying to get in a number of hours with different agencies.

My grades need improvement. I plan on working much harder in the semesters to come and plan on getting A's in my post bacc program. I finally have a goal set for myself and I will not stop until I achieve it.

Am I on the right track so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all, looking for some advice or tips to improve my current situation.

I am currently 19 years of age and in my 3rd year of Nursing (BScN); I went into this program as an unmotivated high school student that had good grades and not a clue what he wanted to do with his life. I will be completing this program first and plan on working as a nurse while taking the required courses for med school. My current program has provided me with over 400 hours of clinical experience which spans from working at an old-aged home to being on an acute care floor at the hospital. I am also a volunteer at the local hospital and do work with underprivileged kids through another volunteer network; trying to get in a number of hours with different agencies.

My grades need improvement. I plan on working much harder in the semesters to come and plan on getting A's in my post bacc program. I finally have a goal set for myself and I will not stop until I achieve it.

Am I on the right track so far?

There are a million paths to the same destination. It seems to me your path is perfectly fine. At 19 years old you have plenty of time to do the things you need to: good grades, good MCAT, research (depending on where you want to attend), leadership, and so forth.

The only thing that strikes me is that you may need to have a reason why you want to switch from nursing to medicine, they are different fields and I have heard that BSNs to MDs are often asked to have a clear narrative for why they want to pursue medicine.

Remember the average age of MD matriculants is 24, so you have plenty of time to build a solid application. First grades. Then MCAT. Try and get leadership in also, and research would be great too.

On another note, interesting that you posted in the Non-trad forum. It is rare to see a 19 year old non-trad, but I agree that you do seem to be fairly non-trad actually.

There are a million paths to the same destination. It seems to me your path is perfectly fine. At 19 years old you have plenty of time to do the things you need to: good grades, good MCAT, research (depending on where you want to attend), leadership, and so forth.

The only thing that strikes me is that you may need to have a reason why you want to switch from nursing to medicine, they are different fields and I have heard that BSNs to MDs are often asked to have a clear narrative for why they want to pursue medicine.

Remember the average age of MD matriculants is 24, so you have plenty of time to build a solid application. First grades. Then MCAT. Try and get leadership in also, and research would be great too.

On another note, interesting that you posted in the Non-trad forum. It is rare to see a 19 year old non-trad, but I agree that you do seem to be fairly non-trad actually.

Thanks for the post,

My family physician went from a BScN to M.D so I hope to be able to shadow her in the future and get some more insight. It's definitely a long term goal; I am in no rush to apply and i'd like to work towards the best application possible given my abilities. The message boards and articles here on SDN have been very enlightening and the Non-Trad forums have given me hope and provided a means for motivation.