Non-trad school choice (and an introduction)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellipsis1104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all :)

I read through most of the threads in here, but rarely post, so I should probably begin by saying hi. I'm very thankful to you all for sharing your stories, your experiences and your advice on this forum. I've been a silent, but grateful beneficiary for quite a while now.

My question to you all is, how does being a nontrad effect the number of schools to which you intend to (or did) apply? Do you apply broadly with the goal of getting accepted in one application season, or do you apply selectively based on family fit, expense, etc... I feel conflicted; on one hand, throwing a wide net in hopes of being accepted somewhere seems wise, and may save both time and money. BUT, another part of me wants to only apply in-state since this is my family's home, and I'd likely stand a better chance at in-state acceptance, anyway.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The answer is something only you and your family can answer. I'm planning on applying broadly because most of our extended family/support network have left the area. It also depends on which state your in and therefore your chances of getting in.

Your GPA makes a big difference too... Also, applying DO or MD or both, etc... Lots of decisions, I'm a non-trad because my GPA wasn't good enough out of school and I had to go back to fix some damage... Otherwise, I would have been a traditional student...

Members don't see this ad :)
My question to you all is, how does being a nontrad effect the number of schools to which you intend to (or did) apply? Do you apply broadly with the goal of getting accepted in one application season, or do you apply selectively based on family fit, expense, etc... I feel conflicted; on one hand, throwing a wide net in hopes of being accepted somewhere seems wise, and may save both time and money. BUT, another part of me wants to only apply in-state since this is my family's home, and I'd likely stand a better chance at in-state acceptance, anyway.

What do you all think?

Only you can answer this question for you, but you know that.

For my part, I very much want to be in-state. I've lived elsewhere, and I came back here for a reason. I don't ever want to leave again. Fortunately enough for me, I would be incredibly happy at any of my state institution(s) or at the top-twenty school that's also located here. I don't think I'll get into the top-twenty, but that's OK, because to be honest I'm not even sure which one I'd pick if I were to hold acceptances to both.

My first cycle, if all goes as planned, I'll be applying before all of my prereqs are done (fortunately, my state institution(s) will accept that.) Having done a self-evaluation, I think I have a decent chance of getting into my state institution that way... but nothing's a sure thing.

So I asked myself this question: Would I rather go OOS after my first cycle, or take an extra year in the hopes of getting an IS acceptance (and in the process make myself a more competitive candidate)?

Personally, I decided I'd rather take an extra year. So I'm splitting with SDN (one of the very few areas in which I am so doing) and only applying in-state the first cycle. If I have to reapply, I'll reapply to the state institutions and apply broadly... but I'd rather be in-state an extra year down the road than out-of-state a year earlier.

Your mileage may vary.

I am applying to a single school this cycle, and if not accepted (as I suspect) I will apply to all the schools within driving distance (4) next cycle. I have a wife, new son and a mortgage on a house, so moving to go to medical school is not an option. I do not know if I will be accepted at any of them, but at this point I will likely keep applying until I am, though I may reconsider things if I am not accepted before my MCAT expires.

I am at somewhat of an advantage in one sense, as I attended my first-choice school's undergraduate program for my BA and for my post-bac work. According to their latest stats, 30% of the applicants from the undergraduate school matriculated at the med school, so that is a good boost.

You just need to decide whether moving is worth it to yourself and your family, as each person's situation is different.

. . .and only applying in-state the first cycle. If I have to reapply, I'll reapply to the state institutions and apply broadly... but I'd rather be in-state an extra year down the road than out-of-state a year earlier.

This is the type of plan I'm leaning toward. I start to get nervous, though, when I read posts from LizzyM or Catalyst who suggest applying to 13-27 schools. ~Then my list of four seems really small.

I am applying to a single school this cycle, and if not accepted (as I suspect) I will apply to all the schools within driving distance (4) next cycle. I have a wife, new son and a mortgage on a house, so moving to go to medical school is not an option.

I understand this. We have a mortgage, too (which is a rather permanent thing in this housing market). You're very fortunate to be within driving distance of so many schools. I could (conceivably) do this with two schools, but I wonder how the amount of drive time would effect study.

We've also thought of trying to maintain a small apartment near school, then we would have the option of coming "home" on weekends to visit family (or, realistically, my husband and kids would --it's likely I wouldn't have the time.)

Why not buy a small apartment/condo near wherever you're accepted - or make it a 2 bedroom and rent out the 2nd room to another med student. After you graduate you can continue renting it to med students. It might be a better plan than just renting someplace.