MD Non-trad, sGPA 3.0, cGPA 3.3, MCAT 511, non-URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats

26 y/o, non-URM, DC resident

Degrees:
  • BS in cell/molecular bio and anthropology from a top public school
  • MPH in health management and policy from a top School of Public Health
Undergrad sGPA & cGPA: 3.02 / 3.34
Grad GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 511 (127/126/128/130)

Additional info:
  • Four years of molecular bio research in undergrad with three co-authored publications
  • Worked in healthcare consulting for over two years
  • Recently started working in the federal government on healthcare policy
  • Volunteer and leadership experience in global health in undergrad and part-time work/internship in grad school

I know next steps would be to complete Pchem pre-requisite and get in some shadowing/volunteer hours (none as of yet). As I mentioned, I'm wondering if I should 1) try re-taking MCAT, 2) go forward with the 511 given my GPA and background, or 3) not bother if I'm not looking to do DO or low-tier MD. I'd apply next summer (2018).

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your gpa is big trouble (as you know).
There is no Pchem requirement.
Your MCAT is the strength of your application. Focusing on your strong suit does not help.
State of residence?

Thanks. DC resident, so N/A. Updated original post with this info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. DC resident, so N/A. Updated original post with this info.
Most MD programs do not use graduate school grades in the evaluation of sustained academic prowess.
Undergrad gpa (especially science) is the weakness of your application. Addressing it would require a sustained period of academic excellence.
This is why so many in your position undertake a post bac program.

You are competitive for many DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. Some schools require a DO LOR. Your MCAT is fine and you do not need to retake.

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm now considering if/how taking additional courses locally might help pad the sGPA. Leaning toward not re-taking, but a part of me still thinks I could do better (from earliest to most recent before taking the actual MCAT, TPR FLs were 503, 504, 510, 506 and AAMC FLs were 510, 516)

I'm considering taking one of two routes: 1) 1-2 science courses per semester in-person at the local university or 2) the 9-credit (6 courses total), purely online graduate certificate program in medical physiology from the University of Florida. The online program would include more courses and cover more content, but being online would preclude me from being able to get a letter of recommendation and I'm not sure how schools view this particular online program. The tuition cost differential between the programs is not a concern.

Would one program be more valuable/beneficial for my application than the other in terms of padding my low GPA and demonstrating recent science course proficiency? I'm essentially wondering if one would provide more benefits for my time than the other.

I'm considering taking one of two routes: 1) 1-2 science courses per semester in-person at the local university or 2) the 9-credit (6 courses total), purely online graduate certificate program in medical physiology from the University of Florida. The online program would include more courses and cover more content, but being online would preclude me from being able to get a letter of recommendation and I'm not sure how schools view this particular online program. The tuition cost differential between the programs is not a concern.

Would one program be more valuable/beneficial for my application than the other in terms of padding my low GPA and demonstrating recent science course proficiency? I'm essentially wondering if one would provide more benefits for my time than the other.
On line courses are not preferred. They are also not accepted at many schools.

Reactions: 1 user