Non-trad. student needing advice on financing pre-reqs!

Started by teacher2PT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

teacher2PT

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to figure out how to quit my full-time job so I can take my pre-req's for physical therapy, but not starve at the same time! It seems it's not possible to take out loans unless you're enrolled in a degree program. Anyone have any advice on what they did to get throug their pre-req's in a timely manner (assuming they didn't have them all completed as an undergrad)? Are there any schools that will grant you an assistantship or something similar while not in a degree program? thanks for any help!
 
I know of others that enter as a "second degree seeking student" that allows you to defer any current loans you may have an apply for financial aid. You can't enroll as a guest student or a post-bacc.
 
I know of others that enter as a "second degree seeking student" that allows you to defer any current loans you may have an apply for financial aid. You can't enroll as a guest student or a post-bacc.
That makes sense; I'd basically apply as though I'm seeking another Bach. degree. It's funny how you forget everything you knew about the college process once you've been out for 10 years! Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my suggestion is to simply enroll in to some type of program so you can get aide. I've been "pre-PTA" for the past two years. It has been somewhat time consuming because I've had to work a good bit to pay the bills while taking these classes. I would have ideally done this in one year but I would have had a pretty heavy workload and considering the importance of prereq grades I'm glad I didn't. I'm currently doing work on campus as a teacher's aide/science tutor which is flexible with my school schedule and have been trying to keep my monthly expenses low.

You may be able to attain a paid position at the college with your experience. The school I'm working at has offered me a contract position that pays a decent bit more than what the normal tutor rate is. I have more of reponsibility but it's been worth it. They have been working to my schedule with at this junction is huge considering the time constraints.
 
my suggestion is to simply enroll in to some type of program so you can get aide. I've been "pre-PTA" for the past two years. It has been somewhat time consuming because I've had to work a good bit to pay the bills while taking these classes. I would have ideally done this in one year but I would have had a pretty heavy workload and considering the importance of prereq grades I'm glad I didn't. I'm currently doing work on campus as a teacher's aide/science tutor which is flexible with my school schedule and have been trying to keep my monthly expenses low.

You may be able to attain a paid position at the college with your experience. The school I'm working at has offered me a contract position that pays a decent bit more than what the normal tutor rate is. I have more of reponsibility but it's been worth it. They have been working to my schedule with at this junction is huge considering the time constraints.
Yes, I'm hoping that with a 14 yr. teaching background, I could find SOME decent employment at the college level.That's great that you have the tutoring and contract position! I can definitely continue doing private reading tutoring--it generally pays pretty well and would still allow me a pretty flexible schedule.