Non-trad student wondering about med school -- should I go for it? WWYD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cnidarian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice from current med students/MD's/DO's etc. about what they would do if they were me.

About me: I'm a 27 year old woman that graduated with an MPH Sept 2020. Currently working on a COVID and technology project. I've always been interested in biology, medicine, and chemistry. Did not know how to study during and post-high school, worked all throughout school, etc. resulting in an okay GPA at community college (~3.2). Went to a 4-year university as pharmaceutical/biochemistry and then switched out to animal science after disliking the chem department. Got a 3.7/honors GPA with undergrad. Thought I wanted to be a vet and gained clinical hours at a vet hospital for 2 years, but I realized that I like people medicine more than animal medicine and rejected my acceptance to vet school. Joined an accelerated MPH program in 2019 and graduated with a 4.0 in the middle of a pandemic, so I feel fairly ok with my job security right now. Considered getting a Ph.D. but, after doing research as an undergrad, did not fall in love with that life.

I'm interested in derm and OBGYN after dealing with dermatological and repro issues. However, not committed to those fields but interested in MD/DO programs overall.

Have not taken the MCAT yet.

I know I want to have a family, but I also want my family to be proud of my accomplishments. My parents and I are immigrants and I'd like to be the first doctor in my family. I also love helping people and have dealt with my own personal health stuff for a long time. I, of course, love public health as well, but would also like to have that patient interaction.

Should I go for it? WWYD? I don't have much human clinical experience except volunteering on an oncology floor from age 15-18. Potentially interested in pursuing my EMT certification as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not get some more clinical experience of possible first to see if it is really for you? You are going to need it regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not get some more clinical experience of possible first to see if it is really for you? You are going to need it regardless.
That's a good question. I'm hesitant to do in-person clinical work with COVID because I live with someone high risk. Perhaps once I move. I was considering getting my EMT certification and pursuing that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, try your best to get clinical experience. You'll likely need it to gain an acceptance.

If you want Derm, I would shoot for MD. There have been DOs at my program and they have been spectacular. However, there seems to be better opportunity to get into a residency program for those with MD degrees. That could change of course, but not sure it will in the near future.

Agree, try your best to get clinical experience. You'll likely need it to gain an acceptance.

If you want Derm, I would shoot for MD. There have been DOs at my program and they have been spectacular. However, there seems to be better opportunity to get into a residency program for those with MD degrees. That could change of course, but not sure it will in the near future.
What is your opinion on pursuing the EMT route for clinical experience? I think COVID is presenting barriers to getting clinical experience and I'm trying to explore various ways.

You gotta do what ya gotta do, but ad coms want to see that you’ve at least somewhat experienced what a physician does day to day. So you should try your hardest to get that experience too.

Looking for advice from current med students/MD's/DO's etc. about what they would do if they were me.

About me: I'm a 27 year old woman that graduated with an MPH Sept 2020. Currently working on a COVID and technology project. I've always been interested in biology, medicine, and chemistry. Did not know how to study during and post-high school, worked all throughout school, etc. resulting in an okay GPA at community college (~3.2). Went to a 4-year university as pharmaceutical/biochemistry and then switched out to animal science after disliking the chem department. Got a 3.7/honors GPA with undergrad. Thought I wanted to be a vet and gained clinical hours at a vet hospital for 2 years, but I realized that I like people medicine more than animal medicine and rejected my acceptance to vet school. Joined an accelerated MPH program in 2019 and graduated with a 4.0 in the middle of a pandemic, so I feel fairly ok with my job security right now. Considered getting a Ph.D. but, after doing research as an undergrad, did not fall in love with that life.

I'm interested in derm and OBGYN after dealing with dermatological and repro issues. However, not committed to those fields but interested in MD/DO programs overall.

Have not taken the MCAT yet.

I know I want to have a family, but I also want my family to be proud of my accomplishments. My parents and I are immigrants and I'd like to be the first doctor in my family. I also love helping people and have dealt with my own personal health stuff for a long time. I, of course, love public health as well, but would also like to have that patient interaction.

Should I go for it? WWYD? I don't have much human clinical experience except volunteering on an oncology floor from age 15-18. Potentially interested in pursuing my EMT certification as well.
What does your heart tell you?

Medicine is a calling after all, like being a fireman or a priest/imam/rabbi.

You have all the ingredients for a very successful applicant, provided you have/obtain the prereqs, volunteering, shadowing, etc. Agree with "get some experience" - I shadowed and volunteers for 6 months and when I was skipping paid work to be in the hospital unpaid, I knew. I will say if you want a family be aware this is a long commitment so be prepared to be pregnant / raising small children for the majority of schooling/residency. As someone interested in OB you know that your body doesn't always allow you to put off having a family. Lots of people have/raise kids in med school so you'll be in good company. Good luck!

Just make sure you're running TOWARDS medicine and not running away from something else.

Whenever I see people say "I want to make my parents proud" I can almost guarantee that you are not thinking this decision through.

If you get your EMT, try to work as an ER tech. I've found working in the ER is way better experience than working on an ambulance (although ambulance experience is still good patient care hours). I had multiple ER doctors write me letters of rec after being their technician, and if you show initiative and get a little lucky, you may find a great mentor there.

I was in a similar situation (albeit different) as you. I had another career, had kids, and too was not sure. I took the plunge and never looked back. It had been an incredible, time consuming, stressful, but awesome adventure. If you want to go to medical school then take the courses you need (if any), take the MCAT, and go!! There are lots of women who start families in school and residency. Medical school is a lot of work and requires a lot of time and focus and it doesn’t stop there, as residency requires just as much if not more, way more than anyone who hasn’t done it knows. So if you don’t feel up to it don’t do it. If your desire is to be a physician then do it, don’t let someone talk you out of it!! Good luck in whatever you choose to do.