Non-trad: Trouble assembling a proper list of schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momof2tobeDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recap: Attended a community college for financial reasons for my first 2 years - obtained the Associated Degree (spring 2002) and transferred to the state university immediately following the conclusion of the CC. However, at the CC I took the following: Bio I, GChem I and GChem II, Physics I and II, Micro, Anatomy, Physio (GPA 2.85). Finished my Bachelors degree in secondary education (grades 7-12 in my state) with endorsement area of natural sciences which includes bio, chem, physics, and earth sci. GPA is roughly 3.4 with science gpa around 3.1 (if memory serves, waiting on a transcript copy to officially calculate). Took all classes required for my teaching certification plus extras like genetics, cell structure and function, biochem (because one day I knew I would be making this career change-however I have been teaching longer than anticipated due to the economy). I graduated spring 2004 and have been a public teacher ever since, teaching mostly bio and environmental bio. I have been studying for the DAT all spring and will continue to study into the summer. This summer I will take a 200-level physio/anatomy basically because it's the highest level course offered in the first summer session as a 'proof of not being rusty'. Second summer session I will take Orgo II since that is the only class I did not take in undergrad that is required for the DAT and admissions.

Most recently, got married, started a family, all while I completed an MBA program at Creighton University. Graduated last spring, GPA 3.4.

My CC and Undergrad GPA's are ancient but have found after reading the Guide by ADEA I am restricted by those darn CC courses. Certainly as a non-trad and a second-career candidate they can't matter that much? My plan of attack is to get A's in these 200-level classes this summer and do well on the DAT.

I have been shadowing a variety of dentists in all specialties over the last 3 years on days when I do not have to work (non-duty days.) Will have one LOR from my employer, one from a dentist I have shadowed the most, and hopefully one LOR from the physio/anatomy professor this summer. Does that sound reasonable as a non-trad student?

Suggestions on realistic schools to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get away with taking only a couple of courses all the power to you, but many non-trads such as myself have done 1-2 years of full time undergrad at near 4.0 (especially for all the pre-reqs) and smashed the DAT. In my opinion, that is who you are competing against and if a lot of us have done a lot more work in the sciences it may not go in your favor. That is not to say your MBA wasn't work, but it might not apply as directly. There is no harm in applying and continuing to take upper level bios just in case you don't get in as that will set you up for next year.

Curious, did you already take a lot of upper level sciences if you got your science gpa up to a 3.4 but your CC gpa with all your pre-reqs was 2.85?

I re-read your original post now that I had more time and I missed some important info like the fact you have done upper level sciences already. How did you do in them? Do you recall your GPA over the last couple of years?

You will have to make sure the D-Schools you apply to accept pre-reqs over 5 years old and you will have to crush the DAT and you may have a shot this cycle. It seems a little like a long shot but your DAT score will determine that.

Curious, why did you get an MBA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok as for the the schools that don't accept CC credits here they are....

No CC for Prereqs... Electives from CC are ok:
Boston
Creighton
Ohio State
Temple

No CC period:
Tufts
Nebraska
Howard (However, some posters on this board have gotten in with CC credits)

This is according to DocToothaches chart: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335 which is based on the ADEA guide.

These are not hard and fast rules... there are always exceptions. But for the most part they hold strong. The fact that you are a non-trad with and MBA from Creighton, maybe they would be more willing to give you an interview.

All you can do is roll the dice and apply. But more than likely... these are the guidelines to go by.

Also, because you are a non-trad, keep in mind that some schools have expirations on your pre-reqs....the ones I can think of off the top of my head are NYU and Loma Linda which don't take pre-reqs older than 5 yrs I believe.

PM me if you want.

You essentially took all of your prereqs at a CC from the sound of it. This will be a problem for most schools (Especially if the GPA was 2.85) Your area of study at the 4yr was in the sciences, but your science GPA was a 3.1? You will likely need to take more than a few science courses, average a 3.5+, and do well on the DAT. You may want to take a solid year of science courses and take the DAT next May and Apply early. always worth a shot this cycle if you can afford the app fees.