Non-trad: WAMC: 3.82 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, MCAT 515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gundelfingen

Reaction score
Bonjour à Tous:

Well, I finished all my classes. I am still struggling whether should I do application this year or the next year.
Used to be international, but now in Texas (PR card will be estimated to arrive ~September, in Texas PR is a must for med school)
My post-bacc: (mainly community college and online classes, Texas doesn't allow international credits as pre-reqs, I redid 2 physics with lab, 3 biology with 2 labs, calculus, statistics, sociology, psychology and 2 Englishes, also 3 credits as music)
3.82 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA (I didn't take chemistry classes, reasons see below)
MCAT 515 (2023, CARS only 123, sad!)
PhD in chemistry Texas top tier (2019, GPA 3.39). 6 publications, orchem+biology direction
BS in chemistry China top tier (2013, GPA 3.41) Ja, my undergrad is not from here. 3 publications
1 year working experience in API production in pharma industry
1 year as chemistry department associate supervisor in AI pharma research company (mainly oncology direction, did screen some leads!)
Now as a full-tme scribe trainée in hospital counts for shadowing? and also for clinical experience, now have 40 hours, hopefully will get more)

6 years in church choir (Well, I also played piano for 30 years. I used to (still ?) want to go to Austrian or France to become a musician. Ich spreche Deutsch, aber leider ist mein Schicksal total anderes.) I also speak French, half of my hometown was French colony.
I used to tutor for one year during undergrad. (~100 hours)
Other hobbies: Horse riding, chess, cuisine (Ouais! Je cuisine beaucoup de plats français traditionnels!), going to Europe(par exemple: Versailles), opera
Till now confirmed RL:
2 research mentors
1 science
Not sure: (in the future)
1 community service
MD/DO letter

My company policy is to work for half a year and get an RL from physician. I started this year April.
I prefer budget-friendly school (aka TX school) or with scholarship school (budget estimation 4 years totally <200K)
Dream: (Just dream, don't laugh)
TX
1 UT Austin
2 TAMU
3 Baylor
4 long school
5 UTMB
6 Mcgovern
(Only these schools can waive my chemistry classes because I really don't want to do it again)
Outside TX
1 Columbia
2 Stanford
3 Cornell
4 John Hopkins
5 U Arizona
6 U Utah
7 UCLA
8 Tulane
9 U Oklahoma
10 Emory
11 Georgetown
12 (Harvard?)
13 U Penn
14 WUSTL
15 Keck
16 Duke
17 Case Western
I want to do of course clinical research in the future. I can accept mid-tier or even low-tier school if with stipend.
Is my dream possible this year? or just another rêverie? Any other suggestions? Should I wait until 2024 to guarantee an RL from a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should apply a year from now assuming you are a permanent resident by that time. You also need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care) and 150 hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc.). Apply to all your TMDSAS MD and DO schools and you should receive interviews. OOS MD schools interview few Texas residents with your stats and no connection to the state or school since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. You could try TCU and Tulane for AMCAS schools.

Reactions: 1 users