Non-Trad What are my chances

Started by Smithy000
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Smithy000

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone I've got a 2.6 overall undergrad 2.7 science and a 28O(10ps 10vr 8bs) 28P( 9ps 8vr 11bs) MCAT's. However I have a 4.0 in my master's degree. ridiculous experience and extracurr's and i have been published twice...what are my chances at SGU or Ross
 
Honestly not sure. The overall is a little low, The MCAT is a bit above their avg. though and the advanced degree helps. Was your Master's in a science? That could help explain away why your undergrad is low. I would think you have a good shot, and should apply and preferably for May. Send your app in early, like Jan. Also apply to Ross and AUC.
 
Yeah undergrad sucked a bit because I failed my first semester and it was hard to come back from that....then I struggled in some science classes (but mostly just got B's and C's)....my M.S. is in Toxicology. I really just learned how to become a student and became more motivated and worked my tail off. I had to work 35-40 hours a week in undergrad which didn't help. I didn't have to work...Toxicology was great!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds like a great personal statement / interview response. If they ask or question you about the GPA mention the "upward trend". I think you've got a good chance, especially applying for January or May.

Yeah undergrad sucked a bit because I failed my first semester and it was hard to come back from that....then I struggled in some science classes (but mostly just got B's and C's)....my M.S. is in Toxicology. I really just learned how to become a student and became more motivated and worked my tail off. I had to work 35-40 hours a week in undergrad which didn't help. I didn't have to work...Toxicology was great!
 
Yeah, I mentioned that in my personal statement in a round about way, but I was betting on explaining it in an interview. I submitted my application and now I'm waiting on transcripts and letters to make it to the schools