What are my chances for carribean med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futooremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
gpa: 3.54 (from well known institution)
mcat: 487
Extracurriculars: 2 years of research with multiple projects under my name. EMT, Medical Assistant

Members don't see this ad.

Extracurriculars: 2 years of research with multiple projects under my name. EMT, Medical Assistant
Your chances of admission to Caribbean school are 100%. They don't really reject anyone.

Your chances at success in Caribbean school are probably a solid 0%.

I highly suggest you take the MCAT next year (March through June). If you need an MCAT study schedule, I started around this time last year, here was my schedule. Let me know if you have any questions:

Just know that getting in to carib Med is easy. Getting through Carib Med is about as hard if not harder than USMD/DO school.

Carib Med should ONLY be an option after THREE failed USMD cycles and TWO failed DO cycles AND at least a 498 MCAT. Even then, I would never recommend it and would suggest podiatry or PA over Carib Med (if your intent is to practice medicine in the US).

Reactions: 6 users
As long as you have the money and a pulse, you will be able to find a Caribbean school to take you. I would not be surprised if having a pulse is considered optional at some places.

However, having a MCAT of 487 represents a severe deficiency in knowledge (maybe just a hair above randomly guessing), I would have serious doubts about your ability to successfully complete medical school and go on to obtain any residency. Caribbean students need to knock their Step I/II exams out of the park in order to have a serious shot at a program, and the ability to perform in standardized testing (i.e the MCAT) is a predictor of this. If you cannot raise your MCAT meaningfully, take that as a sign that you should be considering careers other than being a physician.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)

100% at any Caribbean since they will take you as long as you have a pulse and a check.

Please consider going for DO after you retake that MCAT and get >500 MCAT before touching Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 users
Mmmm. This is quite a tough one...

I have two questions for you...

1. Do you have a heartbeat?
2. Do you have a fat credit card limit?

If you answered no to either, I regret to inform you that competition will be stiff and you may not matriculate.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
What is your pulse? What is your credit score? Subtract your pulse from your credit score. If the difference is a positive number, Congratulations! You'll be admitted. (soon to be dubbed the Lizzy Caribby Score).

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
Please please please retake the MCAT. A 487 shows a very low understanding of the material, very high test anxiety or a combination of both. Use the resources and anecdotal advice on these forums about MCAT prep and the materials they used to develop a plan and knock it out of the park on the retake. Do not go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for just a CHANCE at completing medical school in the Caribbean and an even smaller chance at finding a residency position in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
7EC64CCB-EC67-4443-AC69-9409E772178B.png

Ok SDN, I got you

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Are we talking about a medical school or a streetwalker?
Reaching for one's wallet can be the right move in either scenario. :) Perhaps you should have used the word "and" instead of "or". Cheers.

I bet they have really good marketing department
Apparently good enough to know where to find desperate wannabe med students to advertise to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What is your pulse? What is your credit score? Subtract your pulse from your credit score. If the difference is a positive number, Congratulations! You'll be admitted. (soon to be dubbed the Lizzy Caribby Score).
Hahahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Get a 498+ and you will get into multiple new DO.

I have a friend who got into PCOM-GA with similiar GPA and a 495.
He just started and am worried he could fail out... but only time will tell.

Get a 498+ and you will get into multiple new DO.

I have a friend who got into PCOM-GA with similiar GPA and a 495.
He just started and am worried he could fail out... but only time will tell.
Jeez 495? My DO school has a hard cap of 500 before they even interview you.

Jeez 495? My DO school has a hard cap of 500 before they even interview you.
I know a lot of schools with "hard" caps, and I know students at those schools who don't meet that criteria, yet are matriculating students.
MCAT is garbage anyways IMO.