You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What are my chances for carribean med school?
Started by futooremed
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
9
907914
Your chances of admission to Caribbean school are 100%. They don't really reject anyone.gpa: 3.54 (from well known institution)
mcat: 487
Extracurriculars: 2 years of research with multiple projects under my name. EMT, Medical Assistant
Your chances at success in Caribbean school are probably a solid 0%.
I highly suggest you take the MCAT next year (March through June). If you need an MCAT study schedule, I started around this time last year, here was my schedule. Let me know if you have any questions:
MCAT Advice from a 521 Non-Trad - its a marathon not a sprint
I have had 3 people ask for MCAT advice within a couple months of their test date. As a father who was also in the military reserves for the first 3 months of MCAT study time, I can tell you that I did not have massive amounts of dedicated study time. Mostly 2 or 3 hour sessions every other day...
Just know that getting in to carib Med is easy. Getting through Carib Med is about as hard if not harder than USMD/DO school.
Carib Med should ONLY be an option after THREE failed USMD cycles and TWO failed DO cycles AND at least a 498 MCAT. Even then, I would never recommend it and would suggest podiatry or PA over Carib Med (if your intent is to practice medicine in the US).
As long as you have the money and a pulse, you will be able to find a Caribbean school to take you. I would not be surprised if having a pulse is considered optional at some places.
However, having a MCAT of 487 represents a severe deficiency in knowledge (maybe just a hair above randomly guessing), I would have serious doubts about your ability to successfully complete medical school and go on to obtain any residency. Caribbean students need to knock their Step I/II exams out of the park in order to have a serious shot at a program, and the ability to perform in standardized testing (i.e the MCAT) is a predictor of this. If you cannot raise your MCAT meaningfully, take that as a sign that you should be considering careers other than being a physician.
However, having a MCAT of 487 represents a severe deficiency in knowledge (maybe just a hair above randomly guessing), I would have serious doubts about your ability to successfully complete medical school and go on to obtain any residency. Caribbean students need to knock their Step I/II exams out of the park in order to have a serious shot at a program, and the ability to perform in standardized testing (i.e the MCAT) is a predictor of this. If you cannot raise your MCAT meaningfully, take that as a sign that you should be considering careers other than being a physician.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gpa: 3.54 (from well known institution)
mcat: 487
Extracurriculars: 2 years of research with multiple projects under my name. EMT, Medical Assistant
100% at any Caribbean since they will take you as long as you have a pulse and a check.
Please consider going for DO after you retake that MCAT and get >500 MCAT before touching Caribbean.
Mmmm. This is quite a tough one...
I have two questions for you...
1. Do you have a heartbeat?
2. Do you have a fat credit card limit?
If you answered no to either, I regret to inform you that competition will be stiff and you may not matriculate.
I have two questions for you...
1. Do you have a heartbeat?
2. Do you have a fat credit card limit?
If you answered no to either, I regret to inform you that competition will be stiff and you may not matriculate.
What is your pulse? What is your credit score? Subtract your pulse from your credit score. If the difference is a positive number, Congratulations! You'll be admitted. (soon to be dubbed the Lizzy Caribby Score).
Please please please retake the MCAT. A 487 shows a very low understanding of the material, very high test anxiety or a combination of both. Use the resources and anecdotal advice on these forums about MCAT prep and the materials they used to develop a plan and knock it out of the park on the retake. Do not go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for just a CHANCE at completing medical school in the Caribbean and an even smaller chance at finding a residency position in the US.
Ok SDN, I got you
Whenever a pretty woman is smiling at me, telling me I am going to be a huge success, I reach for my wallet.View attachment 276903
Ok SDN, I got you
I bet they have really good marketing departmentWhenever a pretty woman is smiling at me, telling me I am going to be a huge success, I reach for my wallet.
Reaching for one's wallet can be the right move in either scenario. 🙂 Perhaps you should have used the word "and" instead of "or". Cheers.Are we talking about a medical school or a streetwalker?
Apparently good enough to know where to find desperate wannabe med students to advertise to.I bet they have really good marketing department
Last edited:
HahahahaWhat is your pulse? What is your credit score? Subtract your pulse from your credit score. If the difference is a positive number, Congratulations! You'll be admitted. (soon to be dubbed the Lizzy Caribby Score).

Get a 498+ and you will get into multiple new DO.
I have a friend who got into PCOM-GA with similiar GPA and a 495.
He just started and am worried he could fail out... but only time will tell.
I have a friend who got into PCOM-GA with similiar GPA and a 495.
He just started and am worried he could fail out... but only time will tell.
I know a lot of schools with "hard" caps, and I know students at those schools who don't meet that criteria, yet are matriculating students.Jeez 495? My DO school has a hard cap of 500 before they even interview you.
MCAT is garbage anyways IMO.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 112
- Replies
- 13
- Views
- 11K