Non-trad with plans to apply in 2 years. Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginger_girl

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a non-trad career-changer student, mid-20s ORM female from a state in the northeast, with a previous background in pediatric mental health. I am 1 year into a DIY postbacc at my local state university. I was wondering if I could get some input on anything I should focus on in the next couple of years to fill any gaps I might have in my application (plan to apply 2024-2025 cycle).
  • Academics:
    • B.S. in psychology from a well-regarded and competitive state school. I took 4 science/math classes during undergrad, most in my first semester, and didn't do very well (C, C+, B-, B+). Mostly had trouble adjusting to large lectures and holding myself accountable back then. At graduation, my cGPA was 3.65 and sGPA 2.80.
    • I started my post-bacc last year and have maintained an A- average.
    • Altogether, I currently have a 3.69 cGPA and 3.32 sGPA w/ strong upward trends in both. I still have 5 core science classes left to take.
  • Clinical work: 4,000 hours on an inpatient pediatric psych unit as a psychiatric technician (initial experience that made me switch my career goal from social work -> medicine). I started volunteering at a free clinic last semester which I am loving so far and will continue weekly (probably will have a few hundred hours by the time I apply).
  • Research: 500 hours of mood disorders research in undergrad; will be starting a full-time clinical research coordinator job in September at an academic medical center in public health.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 80 hours in a role that did not align much with my interests (mostly administrative, behind the scenes stuff) so I decided to look for another opportunity now that many Covid restrictions are lifted. My new volunteering is at a homeless shelter that serves a specific population that I enjoy working with. I also have 200 hours of political volunteering from undergrad (worked on some campaigns and registered voters off campus) but not sure if this counts for anything.
  • Shadowing: 16 hours so far across a few specialties
  • Other work: ~2000 hours during undergrad (restaurant work)
  • Extracurriculars: I was in 2 performing arts groups on campus (life-long passion, have continued more informally since college), did ~500 hours of tutoring, and have a few hobbies that I have really cultivated since graduating.
My current plan is to work on bringing my sGPA up to hopefully a 3.5 (taking 2-3 classes per semester). Should I also take some science electives in order to boost my sGPA more (like anatomy, physiology, genetics)? I hope to be competitive for MD and stay on the east coast but I know that this will largely be contingent on my MCAT and how my final GPAs end up. Am I on the right track? Any advice on what else I can do to improve would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Current non-trad M2 in my late 20s, dropping in to say stick with it! A couple things that jumped out to me (I'm just a med student so take it with a grain of salt if you'd like).

You have a pretty unique background and the upward trend in your GPA works in your favor. Your sGPA could hurt you a bit, so be sure to focus on the classes you have remaining and hit em out of the park. Also, double check AMCAS calculation of sGPA to make sure any electives you do take will actually translate to a higher sGPA on your app - the sGPA should be your focus. The MCAT shouldn't be underestimated either. Give the test the attention it deserves. A bordering/low sGPA with an upward trend looks a lot better coupled with a 515+ than it does with a 503.

You'll want to get your shadowing hours up, aim for family med or a similar type of clinic (recommended but not necessary - I got in to an MD program with no primary care shadowing), journal after shadowing shifts to help you craft secondaries in the future. With your stats, its probably advisable you apply DO regardless of how the next two years pan out, so be sure to shadow a DO as well. All other hours look good, seems like you have diverse experiences that will likely give you plenty to write about when it comes to primary and secondary apps. Similarly, journal about any eye-opening, introspective, "confirmations of medicine as your calling" moments you have while volunteering or anything else you are involved with. You will thank yourself in two years when you have journal entries that will help structure your applications.

Don't underestimate the power of strong LORs. Form good connections with professors, don't just be a student who does well. Go to office hours, become known, express interest in what you are learning. Also might be beneficial to have an MD/DO letter writer, so begin to explore best ways to achieve this. Remember, no matter what, letters will always read better when the writer has known the applicant longer (i.e. more than just 5 shadowing shifts over 3 months, etc.)

Do you have any publications or presentations to show for the hundreds of hours of research you've done?

There are schools that tend to look favorably on non-trad students, career changers, students who reinvent themselves etc. It'll probably be advisable to put those schools on your list. If URM, can also gear schools you're applying to based on this as well. Apply broadly and be sure to apply DO as well.

All that to say it's not too late, you're on the right track, and keep it up! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
You’re on the right track. Keep up with your non-clinical volunteering, and get some shadowing hours, and you should be fine. Make sure to do well in your post-bacc science courses and on your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Current non-trad M2 in my late 20s, dropping in to say stick with it! A couple things that jumped out to me (I'm just a med student so take it with a grain of salt if you'd like).

You have a pretty unique background and the upward trend in your GPA works in your favor. Your sGPA could hurt you a bit, so be sure to focus on the classes you have remaining and hit em out of the park. Also, double check AMCAS calculation of sGPA to make sure any electives you do take will actually translate to a higher sGPA on your app - the sGPA should be your focus. The MCAT shouldn't be underestimated either. Give the test the attention it deserves. A bordering/low sGPA with an upward trend looks a lot better coupled with a 515+ than it does with a 503.

You'll want to get your shadowing hours up, aim for family med or a similar type of clinic (recommended but not necessary - I got in to an MD program with no primary care shadowing), journal after shadowing shifts to help you craft secondaries in the future. With your stats, its probably advisable you apply DO regardless of how the next two years pan out, so be sure to shadow a DO as well. All other hours look good, seems like you have diverse experiences that will likely give you plenty to write about when it comes to primary and secondary apps. Similarly, journal about any eye-opening, introspective, "confirmations of medicine as your calling" moments you have while volunteering or anything else you are involved with. You will thank yourself in two years when you have journal entries that will help structure your applications.

Don't underestimate the power of strong LORs. Form good connections with professors, don't just be a student who does well. Go to office hours, become known, express interest in what you are learning. Also might be beneficial to have an MD/DO letter writer, so begin to explore best ways to achieve this. Remember, no matter what, letters will always read better when the writer has known the applicant longer (i.e. more than just 5 shadowing shifts over 3 months, etc.)

Do you have any publications or presentations to show for the hundreds of hours of research you've done?

There are schools that tend to look favorably on non-trad students, career changers, students who reinvent themselves etc. It'll probably be advisable to put those schools on your list. If URM, can also gear schools you're applying to based on this as well. Apply broadly and be sure to apply DO as well.

All that to say it's not too late, you're on the right track, and keep it up! Good luck!
Thank you for your reply! It's really great to hear from others who have been through this process.

I will really focus on my sGPA and preparing for the MCAT. Definitely not opposed to applying DO as well, and I will start looking for primary care and DO shadowing opportunities. Journaling about my experiences is a good idea too.

LORs are something I hadn't thought to much about. I believe I will have strong ones from my clinical and research experiences. So far during my post-bacc I have been a pretty passive student, but I will definitely make an effort to start forming these relationships with science professors.

I have 2 poster presentations (just at my school) and no pubs yet.

Appreciate all the suggestions :)

Reactions: 1 users