Non-Trad without medical coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcfreakdavid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming I am not the only one without medical coverage so figured I can get some advice from those that have gone through similar experiences.

Because of my pursuit of medicine, I can only work about 25 hours a week so I can not afford private coverage for my family (Pregnant wife and a 2 year-old). In addition, my dead beat boss doesn't offer medical insurance. My wife is not a citizen yet so she is ineligible for Medicaid coverage,which leaves us with very little options. Right now she receives prenatal care at a public clinic a couple miles from our house. It's inexpensive (75$ bucks a visit) but she has waited up to 6 hrs to see the doctor. I feel so impotent to do anything, but this is the lot we have been given. I did write all of this into my personal statement, but without a "woe-is-me" feeling. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

That's.....going to be expensive. Have you thought about maybe hiring a midwife instead of going to the hospital for the baby's delivery? If there aren't any complications, you can save a lot of money by delivering at home, especially if this is the second go round and you guys know what to expect (also it's easier on the mom to recover, less stressful, etc).

As for feeling impotent - just remember that you are working hard to provide fully for your family later. Your wife should be able to register for citizenship soon (isn't 3 years after receiving your green card), and that will help. In the meantime, also try stopping by a planned parenthood/giving them a call to see if they have any other advice for you. They're a great resource for parents-to-be.

just don't give your wife SSN when you show up to the hospital for delivery or you will be in a lot of debt. Is your wife a GC holder? Some states do offer some options if you have that.