Non-traditional 508, cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbuztravel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT April 2018: 508 (128, 125, 127, 128)
MCAT July 2017: 503 (128, 125, 125, 125)
cGPA: 3.5 (strong upward trend undergrad is 3.17 for business degree, my DIY post bacc is 4.0)
sGPA: 3.8

I am a non-traditional applicant, age 32, white, female, Illinois resident. First and only member of family to graduate from college.
EC: I have a business background in healthcare as the owner of two healthcare companies. I have extensive patient clinical experience in the surgical setting for over 10 years. I am a member of multiple committees for healthcare-related organizations. One non-research publication related to perioperative standards. Data analysis research for the past year on Ventricular Assist Devices.
Volunteering: I have 500+ hours divided between performing surgery program assessments across the nation, board member of a charitable foundation, and organizer of charitable events.
Shadowing: ~50 hours of shadowing cardiothoracic surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, and multiple pathologists. Interviewed my primary care physician (just took her to lunch since the practice didn't allow shadowing). Attended heart transplant committee, VAD committee, and breast cancer committee.
LOR: I have strong LORs from my mentor (cardiothoracic surgeon and private practice owner) as well as three of my science professors.

I applied previously in 2017, complete late in the cycle, end of August. I had one DO interview with rejection. I would like to apply mainly to MD programs this year submitting application June 1st, but am nervous about my MCAT score and GPA combination. Since I am on the older side and will not have as much time to recoup the money that I put into becoming a physician, I am hesitant to spend even more money on classes to boost my GPA, MCAT, or get an additional degree for the sake of it, unless necessary.

School List:
University of Illinois
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Louisiana State New Orleans
Nova Southeastern
University of Central Florida
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
OHSU

Any feedback appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Louisiana accepts few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Kaiser (when it opens)
California University (new school)
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools of your choice.