Non traditional applicant DO chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicist1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been going through an identity crisis lately. I graduated in 2008 with a double major in EE and physics with a 3.45 GPA and then went into a PhD program in EE across the country. This didn't work out. I got sick (had some kind of a nervous breakdown and an episode of psychosis) but I have been treated with meds and the issue has been taken care of. I went back to grad school but I got a bout of depression and left as I realized that engineering wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. I have been working as an engineer in the meantime. I am absolutely miserable in my job. Engineering just does not interest me in the least.

Now I have decided that I want to go to medical school. I think this is the only career track that I will be content with. It's the only career I can see meaning in. I took physics, calculus, all of the humanities requirements, 2 semesters of general chem with lab, 2 semesters of ochem with lab, so all I would need to take is a couple semesters of biology with lab I think.

I haven't taken the MCAT though. I am hoping I could score around 27-30. I want to apply to a specific DO school since that's the most affordable school in my state (and I want in state tuition). I will also apply to a couple in state MD programs too.

Am I crazy? Will they just ignore my application because I "failed" at my PhD program in the past? I just don't think I can be an engineer for the rest of my life.

Another problem is I have 50K in student loans from undergrad. I am looking at at least another 150K in loans for med school as well. Will I even be able to afford to pay this debt on a doctor's salary. I would like to become a dermatologist or ophthamologist.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been going through an identity crisis lately. I graduated in 2008 with a double major in EE and physics with a 3.45 GPA and then went into a PhD program in EE across the country. This didn't work out. I got sick (had some kind of a nervous breakdown and an episode of psychosis) but I have been treated with meds and the issue has been taken care of. I went back to grad school but I got a bout of depression and left as I realized that engineering wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. I have been working as an engineer in the meantime. I am absolutely miserable in my job. Engineering just does not interest me in the least.

Now I have decided that I want to go to medical school. I think this is the only career track that I will be content with. It's the only career I can see meaning in. I took physics, calculus, all of the humanities requirements, 2 semesters of general chem with lab, 2 semesters of ochem with lab, so all I would need to take is a couple semesters of biology with lab I think.

I haven't taken the MCAT though. I am hoping I could score around 27-30. I want to apply to a specific DO school since that's the most affordable school in my state (and I want in state tuition). I will also apply to a couple in state MD programs too.

Am I crazy? Will they just ignore my application because I "failed" at my PhD program in the past? I just don't think I can be an engineer for the rest of my life.

Another problem is I have 50K in student loans from undergrad. I am looking at at least another 150K in loans for med school as well. Will I even be able to afford to pay this debt on a doctor's salary. I would like to become a dermatologist or ophthamologist.

I was hooked until the last sentence, and then I got trolled.

An MCAT score, or a range of practice scores, is necessary before anyone can realistically evaluate your chances for acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
The name of your state would also be helpful.

I was hooked until the last sentence, and then I got trolled.

OK, so I would like to become one of those things but I know they are highly competitive. If I can't become one of those things then I would be happy as a GP.

OK, so I would like to become one of those things but I know they are highly competitive. If I can't become one of those things then I would be happy as a GP.

After suffering a bout of depression you decided that derm was the only career choice for you.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk