Non-Traditional> DO School or Perfusion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AB92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads and need help! I'm 27 years old (undergraduate degree in biosystems engineering), and have 5 years work experience as an engineer. Through a lot of soul searching, therapy, research, and volunteer/shadowing experience I know I want to go back to school to pursue a career in healthcare, but I can't decide between DO school or perfusion. I'd be competitive for a perfusion program, (overall GPA 3.4, science GPA 3.7) and I believe with a decent MCAT score, I could also be competitive for a DO School. I've looked into Post Bacc programs to attend prior to applying to DO school, however, I've already taken all the pre-req's with the exception of Organic Chemistry, so I think I'm left with just finishing the organic chemistry classes at a community college (unless cc would be a death sentence and I need to do them at a 4 year institution), as most of the Post Bacc programs don't like for you to have more than 1 science course completed.

My question is, would DO school be worth it? 4 years of med school + 4 years of residency + $250k in debt. Say I get into med school by the time I'm 30, I'd be 38 before I begin practicing, but making ~$300k. Or I could go the perfusion route with 2 years of school, about $125k in debt, but practicing by about 32 and still making ~$100k a year.

Also, I should mention that my desire to attend DO school would be with the ultimate goal of becoming an anesthesiologist. While I realize that being an anesthesiologist comes with with a lot more responsibility, liability, and education breadth and depth, a perfusionist works in a similar environment and in a similar fashion, in terms of monitoring physiological parameters, etc. So I'm thinking perfusion might be able to fulfill me in a similar way as anesthesiology. However, I like the idea of anesthesiology because you get to be involved in all types of procedures, not just cardiac, and you get to do more with your hands like IV's, epidurals, etc.

I appreciate any insight anyone can give!!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what "worth it" means to you. What is the most important aspect of a career to you? For me the responsibility and decision making that comes with being a physician is what draws me towards it. You won't get that as much with being a perfusionist, but you will be able to make an impact and be a necessary cog in the wheel that contributes to a higher quality of life for the humans we share this Earth with, which is what is really most important.

Don't let money be a driving factor in your decision, do what will make you happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered a career as an anesthesiologist assistant? Same pre-reqs as for med school, 2-3 year master's, $100K/year starting salary, and you'd get to do hands-on anesthesiology procedures instead of just being a bystander. Also, you wouldn't have the same high level of stress-inducing liability/responsibility as an anesthesiologist. Based on what you wrote, this path may be a good fit for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also 250k in debt is about 100-200k low unless you go to an instate school or have significant savings or family support. Look up some COA for schools they are anywhere from 60-90k nowadays and that doesn’t include interest!

No amount of money will make you happy. I was in a great job right out of undergrad making just under six figures and within 3 years I could have been making $150k. It was a drag. Have you shadowed a perfusionist and an anesthesiologist specifically? If you have, which do you like better? What I love about being a physician is that there is no ceiling. The more I learn, the more I can use to help my future patients. There will be a limit on your scope of practice as a perfusionist. Are you ok with that? If you are, then go for it. It's a shorter road.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the input so far! I have shadowed a perfusionist, and was intrigued. I haven’t shadowed an anesthesiologist, but probably should so I could get their perspective. I feel like what is pulling me to perfusion is the shorter, cheaper path to get there (and probably a better chance of acceptance). I just cannot shake the feeling of wanting to be the one in ultimate control. If I go to perfusion school, I’m worried that I’ll be sitting in the OR wishing I was the anesthesiologist.

Also, I have a small concern of if I try for DO and don’t get in, what do I do, and I’m only getting older.

I often tell students that if they have to think about going to med school, dont go. It's too expensive and consumes too many years before you finish. If you cant imagine yourself doing anything else, you will be way more willing to make the sacrifices necessary to complete the process of becoming an attending physician.

Reactions: 1 user