Non traditional Engineering Major. Best Route to Med.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbmorales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a BS in Engineering(3.3 GPA) . I have taken 1 year physics, 1 year Gen Chem, Calc, Stats...etc. I am missing Ochem, General Bio and/or Anatomy/Upper Division Bio.

What would be my best choice of action for getting into med school?

A)Would finishing my prereqs while pursuing an MPH

B) getting into a Post Bacc

Or

C) would getting a MS Engineering with an Emphasis on Health Technology then applying be more worth it? (while finishing prereqs)

Note 1: with either route I plan to volunteer at a hospital.

Note 2: I was thinking of doing the Air Force Reserve so that I can complete an MS without as much debt.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't said much about your situation (graduated, work experience, science GPA, etc), and so in general: You don't need extra degrees. Concentrate on getting the pre-reqs done along with some upper level bio (ie, a post-bacc), and in getting A's in all of these classes.

Apologies. I'm new to this forum. Graduated with Bachelors in Electrical Engineering, work experience-I don't have any relevant experience working at a hospital but I've worked in aerospace industry for more a year if that matters, Volunteered (6 months at a hospital and currently volunteering at a different one). Cum GPA is 3.3. My science GPA in the Premed Classes is about the same 3.2-3.3 range.(haven't taken ochem, bio, anantomy and any upper division electives yet). Also I reside in CA (which I know is more competitive than other states)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar situation, degree already finished with about half the prerequisites. Similar job too, in aerospace.

What I did was keep my job and go to school at night at the local university to finish the classes. Volunteer and shadow at the same time. I think acquiring work experience like this, especially if you're in an r&d role like I am, really helped me in that I was able to spin it as research. Plus it let schools see that I had real world experience. No need for an mph or formal postbac, just do what you need to do on your own.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 users