Non-traditional Game of Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Hello! Time for me to lay out my life just like many other before me. Ready. Set. Go
Black, Female, 23.
Undergrade gpa: 2.8 ( Had a 3.5 until jr year hit, slowly started to recover but there wasn't enough time so my trend was def upwards!)
Took some post-bacc classes while working 30 hours a week to pay for them. I got C+/B's but many of my professors from these courses agreed to write me LOA's because I had a very unique situation that didn't help my grade. Since I am my sole financial supporter, I could not enter classes without paying off my blanace to the unversity as a whole (Sucks that my pay is some people's chump change) so it always set me back from registering each semester. As determined as I was, I would sit in a class from day 1, take notes, etc but missed out some assignments, quizes, etc because I wasn't registered. After speaking to said professors and explaining my situation, I was allowed to stay until I fully enrolled but was responsible for catching up. I started out all of my classes with a flat F which put me at a HUGE disadvantage but I kept going. To make a long story short, I pulled up all of these grades from F's to said grades listed above in a little over half a semester (which was my starting point). Got some letters and earned respect from them even though they probably thought I was crazy.

Experience
medical missions trip
working at a pediatric office in emergency hours for a year (still there)
shadowed in a pediatric, cardiology and family medicine setting (Hospital and office) (Still doing it)
4 semesters of community service in undegrad (individually and in my fraternity and other organizations)
Elemenatary school volunteer (I'm waiting on the clear to help my old AP bio professor)
Summer camp counselor (I worked in an underserved community every summer to help pay for my undergrad)
Health ministries team at my church

If you want the exact details of anything just ask.

I'm open to DO, SMPs---> MD but I really want to know what are my chances and what I'm suppose to do from here. I'm going to retake my MCAT in may. Please and Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to perform well in a SMP to truly convince AdComs that you can survive in a medical school environment. I sense too many life issues interrupting your path. I've seen this kayo too many promising students.

Hello Hello! Time for me to lay out my life just like many other before me. Ready. Set. Go
Black, Female, 23.
Undergrade gpa: 2.8 ( Had a 3.5 until jr year hit, slowly started to recover but there wasn't enough time so my trend was def upwards!)
Took some post-bacc classes while working 30 hours a week to pay for them. I got C+/B's but many of my professors from these courses agreed to write me LOA's because I had a very unique situation that didn't help my grade. Since I am my sole financial supporter, I could not enter classes without paying off my blanace to the unversity as a whole (Sucks that my pay is some people's chump change) so it always set me back from registering each semester. As determined as I was, I would sit in a class from day 1, take notes, etc but missed out some assignments, quizes, etc because I wasn't registered. After speaking to said professors and explaining my situation, I was allowed to stay until I fully enrolled but was responsible for catching up. I started out all of my classes with a flat F which put me at a HUGE disadvantage but I kept going. To make a long story short, I pulled up all of these grades from F's to said grades listed above in a little over half a semester (which was my starting point). Got some letters and earned respect from them even though they probably thought I was crazy.

Experience
medical missions trip
working at a pediatric office in emergency hours for a year (still there)
shadowed in a pediatric, cardiology and family medicine setting (Hospital and office) (Still doing it)
4 semesters of community service in undegrad (individually and in my fraternity and other organizations)
Elemenatary school volunteer (I'm waiting on the clear to help my old AP bio professor)
Summer camp counselor (I worked in an underserved community every summer to help pay for my undergrad)
Health ministries team at my church

If you want the exact details of anything just ask.

I'm open to DO, SMPs---> MD but I really want to know what are my chances and what I'm suppose to do from here. I'm going to retake my MCAT in may. Please and Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to perform well in a SMP to truly convince AdComs that you can survive in a medical school environment. I sense too many life issues interrupting your path. I've seen this kayo too many promising students.

While I do have a lot of personal issues, I try my best to never let them stop me. There was a summer I have to work 2 jobs (1 day and 1 night) and take a 6 week physics course with lab and a biology lab that met twice a week for 4 hrs (I think many summer labs are like that) and I managed to get B's. I had to work to pay for those classes and other expenses that my family could not. The problem for me is not doubting my ability to work for what I want...it's getting other people to see that. So right now I don't know what to do to get people to see that I can live up to my words despite what the numbers say...but then again I guess so many other people are.

While I do have a lot of personal issues, I try my best to never let them stop me. There was a summer I have to work 2 jobs (1 day and 1 night) and take a 6 week physics course with lab and a biology lab that met twice a week for 4 hrs (I think many summer labs are like that) and I managed to get B's. I had to work to pay for those classes and other expenses that my family could not. The problem for me is not doubting my ability to work for what I want...it's getting other people to see that. So right now I don't know what to do to get people to see that I can live up to my words despite what the numbers say...but then again I guess so many other people are.
And those numbers are...?

Well my GPA in my introduction for one thing. Although I ended my undergrad career on a high note, junior year's epic crash and burn really scar my GPA from a 3.6. I think that's my main concern which is why I'm perfectly content doing an SMP. The one at FSU is ideal but that in itself is difficult to get in....so I'm here to hear suggestions or advice. Thank you to everyone who replied
And those numbers are...?

Well my GPA in my introduction for one thing. Although I ended my undergrad career on a high note, junior year's epic crash and burn really scar my GPA from a 3.6. I think that's my main concern which is why I'm perfectly content doing an SMP. The one at FSU is ideal but that in itself is difficult to get in....so I'm here to hear suggestions or advice. Thank you to everyone who replied
And MCAT?

OP first and foremost you need to get your GPA above 3.0. Most med schools (and SMPs) require a 3.0 minimum to apply.

No one can give you any accurate information without an MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user