Non-traditional Med School Applicant, ED Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BardEDPharm

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply to my post. I am a two time graduate from The Ohio State University (Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences '09 and Doctor of Pharmacy '13), and I have decided to embark on the exciting journey to become a medical doctor!

After extensive research and many conversations with current students and professionals, I feel I have organized most of the materials and concepts for application. That being said, as a "non-traditional" applicant, I would sincerely appreciate any input that may help guide me through the process.

Background: I was accepted into the Early Admissions Program (EAP) for pharmacy school at OSU. I completed my undergrad in 3 years and the only condition for matriculation to the professional program was a cGPA> 3.50. With this freedom, I spent more time my first year (enjoying life), and my second and third years heavily involved in extracurriculars, work, study abroad, etc. than worrying about my GPA.

My concerns:
1) low science and mediocre cumulative undergrad GPA. Should I retake classes I did poorly in before application? Gen Chem 1 and Ochem 2= C+, Analytical Chem= C
2) Are there any items that medical schools hold in high regard that are not addressed in my experiences below?

Potential Timeline: Take MCAT (not yet scheduled) and apply in 2015 for 2016 matriculation. Or, retake classes and apply in 2016 for 2017 matriculation.

GPA
Undergrad- AMCAS sGPA: 3.20, cGPA: 3.56
Pharmacy School- GPA: 3.73

Work Experience

Ohio Health- Clinical Pharmacist, Emergency Dept. July 2014-present
Kroger Pharmacy- Pharmacist (Pharmacy Manager for 2 months before changing jobs due to position in ED becoming available)- June 2013- July 2014
- Intern, January 2010- June 2013

Honors and Awards

2010 Pharmacy and Therapeutics Competition Ohio State- First Place Award
Rho Chi Pharmacy Academic Honorary
Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society

Volunteer Experience
Helping Hands Free Clinic - Jan 2011- present
Flying Horse Farms (camp for hospitalized children) Volunteer Coordinator April 2012-13
PODEMOS Medical Mission trip to Honduras (8-10 days)- December 2010, 11, 12 (Trip leader 2011, 12)
Fundacion por una vida- Playing with patients and helping staff in pediatric cancer ward- Quito, Ecuador- July- Sept 2010
Alternative Spring Break Advisor- Addiction Rehabilitation Center- March 2011
4th year Pharmacy Rotation- Medical brigade Choluteca, Honduras- March 2013

Professional Affiliations
PODEMOS Non-profit Organization- Medical Brigade in El Progreso, Honduras- Board of Director Member
- Past president (2012), vice president (2011), pharmacy coordinator (2010)

Research

June- August 2011. El Progreso, Honduras- Knowledge and Attitudes Surrounding HPV and Cervical Cancer in Honduran Women. Presented at The American Academy of Family Practice Conference September 2012

Languages
Spanish- Conversational

Letters of Rec- Very strong

Thank you very much for input! For any questions or concerns about why I would like to pursue medicine in place of a career in pharmacy, I would be happy to elaborate. Didn't want to risk making this post gruesomely long!
 
My suggestions:
1) Scroll a little further down the forums page and check out the Nontrad forum. Read the stickies in particular; lots of good info there (though I know I do need to update them).
2) ECs look ok; I would continue with the free clinic for sure.
3) Think about this some more: are you SURE you want to go to med school? Being an ED pharmacist is pretty sweet. If it were possible for you and me to swap degrees and careers, I would totally go for it. Except I don't want to live in OH--too cold. 😉
 
I think you'll be fine to apply ASAP depending on your MCAT scores. It's obvious you can handle a medical courseload judging by your PharmD—and you have a leg up over other non-trads in that your deviation from traditional pre-med timeline was to complete a similarly selective program within the sciences in general.

I don't think there's any point in retaking those classes, you probably wouldn't be affecting your GPA all that much (AMCAS calculates both grades).

You're lucky your pre-pharmacy activities coincide quite nicely with pre-med activities.
 
Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to read and/or reply to my post. I am a two time graduate from The Ohio State University (Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences '09 and Doctor of Pharmacy '13), and I have decided to embark on the exciting journey to become a medical doctor!

After extensive research and many conversations with current students and professionals, I feel I have organized most of the materials and concepts for application. That being said, as a "non-traditional" applicant, I would sincerely appreciate any input that may help guide me through the process.

Background: I was accepted into the Early Admissions Program (EAP) for pharmacy school at OSU. I completed my undergrad in 3 years and the only condition for matriculation to the professional program was a cGPA> 3.50. With this freedom, I spent more time my first year (enjoying life), and my second and third years heavily involved in extracurriculars, work, study abroad, etc. than worrying about my GPA.

My concerns:
1) low science and mediocre cumulative undergrad GPA. Should I retake classes I did poorly in before application? Gen Chem 1 and Ochem 2= C+, Analytical Chem= C
2) Are there any items that medical schools hold in high regard that are not addressed in my experiences below?

Potential Timeline: Take MCAT (not yet scheduled) and apply in 2015 for 2016 matriculation. Or, retake classes and apply in 2016 for 2017 matriculation.

GPA
Undergrad- AMCAS sGPA: 3.20, cGPA: 3.56
Pharmacy School- GPA: 3.73

Work Experience

Ohio Health- Clinical Pharmacist, Emergency Dept. July 2014-present
Kroger Pharmacy- Pharmacist (Pharmacy Manager for 2 months before changing jobs due to position in ED becoming available)- June 2013- July 2014
- Intern, January 2010- June 2013

Honors and Awards

2010 Pharmacy and Therapeutics Competition Ohio State- First Place Award
Rho Chi Pharmacy Academic Honorary
Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society

Volunteer Experience
Helping Hands Free Clinic - Jan 2011- present
Flying Horse Farms (camp for hospitalized children) Volunteer Coordinator April 2012-13
PODEMOS Medical Mission trip to Honduras (8-10 days)- December 2010, 11, 12 (Trip leader 2011, 12)
Fundacion por una vida- Playing with patients and helping staff in pediatric cancer ward- Quito, Ecuador- July- Sept 2010
Alternative Spring Break Advisor- Addiction Rehabilitation Center- March 2011
4th year Pharmacy Rotation- Medical brigade Choluteca, Honduras- March 2013

Professional Affiliations
PODEMOS Non-profit Organization- Medical Brigade in El Progreso, Honduras- Board of Director Member
- Past president (2012), vice president (2011), pharmacy coordinator (2010)

Research

June- August 2011. El Progreso, Honduras- Knowledge and Attitudes Surrounding HPV and Cervical Cancer in Honduran Women. Presented at The American Academy of Family Practice Conference September 2012

Languages
Spanish- Conversational

Letters of Rec- Very strong

Thank you very much for input! For any questions or concerns about why I would like to pursue medicine in place of a career in pharmacy, I would be happy to elaborate. Didn't want to risk making this post gruesomely long!


So did you find that Clinical job in the ED was not fulfilling? Im toying with the idea of going back to school I would apply for 2017. Applying this round would be pushing it, I haven't taken MCAT or even attempted to start studying.