Non-Traditional Med School Preperation

Started by UrNurseC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UrNurseC

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I am in the process of finishing up a Bio degree that I started when I was 18. I had a lot of trouble in school therefore, I really destroyed my GPA. I changed my major many times finally ending with nursing school my senior year with nearly 12o credit hours. I was around 2.4 GPA. I had already completed.
I maintained B's and C's through nursing school.
Upon graduation, I started working in the ICU. I have been there for 5 years as of today.
I have my ACLS and CCRN if that matters at all.

I then went to get my BSN after being out of school for a year. I completed it in 1 year 31 credit hours with a 4.0.

A year and a half ago, I decided to go back and finish get my bio degree because I was bored with life. I had matured a lot so i went back.
I have retaken principles of bio 1 and 2. Replaced my two B's with A's
I retook the second principles of chemistry class replacing my C with an A
I had failed organic 1 two times.- I took it last summer and replaced the grade with an A
I am currently taking organic 2 with the lab right now. It ends in about a week. I am right at an A in lecture and a solid A in lab.
Way back when, I took the physics 1 and got an A
I plan to take Physics 2 next semester and Biochem over the summer.

My dream at 28 is to become a Doctor. I really messed up when I was a kid. I am wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar bout with applying to med school.

I still have to take the MCAT and apply of course, but my GPA will not be that high even if I get A's in everything. I'm going t0 be looking right at a 3.0 overall. I plan on doing very well on the MCAT. My letters of Rec will be good and from various doctors in a variety of fields.

Is there any chance in hell I can get into med school?
Does anyone have any advice to give to this old man?
 
A lot depends on your MCAT score but if you score 500 or higher you should be competitive for some DO schools. Your RN experience will help you. MD schools are more uncertain and you would need a MCAT over 508 to have a chance for an interview at some schools.
 
Hey everyone. I am in the process of finishing up a Bio degree that I started when I was 18. I had a lot of trouble in school therefore, I really destroyed my GPA. I changed my major many times finally ending with nursing school my senior year with nearly 12o credit hours. I was around 2.4 GPA. I had already completed.
I maintained B's and C's through nursing school.
Upon graduation, I started working in the ICU. I have been there for 5 years as of today.
I have my ACLS and CCRN if that matters at all.

I then went to get my BSN after being out of school for a year. I completed it in 1 year 31 credit hours with a 4.0.

A year and a half ago, I decided to go back and finish get my bio degree because I was bored with life. I had matured a lot so i went back.
I have retaken principles of bio 1 and 2. Replaced my two B's with A's
I retook the second principles of chemistry class replacing my C with an A
I had failed organic 1 two times.- I took it last summer and replaced the grade with an A
I am currently taking organic 2 with the lab right now. It ends in about a week. I am right at an A in lecture and a solid A in lab.
Way back when, I took the physics 1 and got an A
I plan to take Physics 2 next semester and Biochem over the summer.

My dream at 28 is to become a Doctor. I really messed up when I was a kid. I am wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar bout with applying to med school.

I still have to take the MCAT and apply of course, but my GPA will not be that high even if I get A's in everything. I'm going t0 be looking right at a 3.0 overall. I plan on doing very well on the MCAT. My letters of Rec will be good and from various doctors in a variety of fields.

Is there any chance in hell I can get into med school?
Does anyone have any advice to give to this old man?

Your story is inspiring and speaks to your character and tenacity. Non-trad is the new normal, believe it or not. Yr 1 med students are getting older and older every year, and I'm not just talking about the normal aging process! I know the year ones in my school, and theres about 10 of them over 30, some in their 40s and maybe 1 in their 50s. You absolutely have a chance. Redoing all those classes like you've done is impressive. The fact that you've worked in medicine for 5 years shows that this isn't about the glamour for you- you're not a gray's anatomy wannabe. I'm sure you'll make a great doc. You do have a lot of work ahead of you though, but I think you already knew that!
 
Hey OP,
As those above have said I think you are on the right track. Grade replacement especially will be your friend with DO schools. I do have a question for you though: Why not become an NP? This was something I looked into as my primary care providers for the past 10 years or so have been fantastic NPs. I also work with an NP who is the field I want to be in interacting with patients on a daily basis. Personally, without a BSN it seemed like an incredibly long path but you already have that in the bag. No need to reply if you don't want to, but I'm just curious why this option isn't appealing to you. Thanks and good luck!