Non traditional med school student advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McNelly

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m in a pretty unique situation. I graduated with a degree in Accounting, worked for 4 months an decided accounting is not for me. I have to much of a desire/need to help and make a difference in people’s lives. After shadowing a couple physicians I have decided to go down the med school route.

I have talked with some advisors, and it is looking like I will have a 3.5 cumulative, and a 3.8 pre req after I finish up these classes. Will my cumulative GPA hurt my chances?

The main thing I need tips and advice on is, should I get involved with research projects? How much shadowing/volunteering should I have done? What would be a competitive MCAT score for me? I’m from Kansas if that helps. And lastly, any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I’m in a pretty unique situation. I graduated with a degree in Accounting, worked for 4 months an decided accounting is not for me. I have to much of a desire/need to help and make a difference in people’s lives. After shadowing a couple physicians I have decided to go down the med school route.

I have talked with some advisors, and it is looking like I will have a 3.5 cumulative, and a 3.8 pre req after I finish up these classes. Will my cumulative GPA hurt my chances?

The main thing I need tips and advice on is, should I get involved with research projects? How much shadowing/volunteering should I have done? What would be a competitive MCAT score for me? I’m from Kansas if that helps. And lastly, any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
A 3.5 is not lethal, especially with a rising GPA trend.
KS is a very lucky state for Jayhawkers. But shoot for a 510+

Read these:
  • Goro's Guide to the Application Process (2018 edition)
  • Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
    ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 5 users
That’s what I was worried about. I got 3 C’s in accounting related courses, if I retook them and got A’s, it would raise me to like a 3.62. But I figured if I focused on my pre reqs and did well in those I’d be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s what I was worried about. I got 3 C’s in accounting related courses, if I retook them and got A’s, it would raise me to like a 3.62. But I figured if I focused on my pre reqs and did well in those I’d be good.
Even if your school replaces the C's with a subsequent grade, the AAMC will merely average them.
It's not worth the trouble of re-taking them as they are in classes that have no relevance to a medical school application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
We are fortunate have to have Goro as our Lord and Savior as his advices are top quality. I recently talked to a MS1 student, 33 years old, non-traditional, with accounting as his major. You can do it, but definitely need a competitive MCAT score. The student I talked about even received 15k scholarship a year, and its huge considering that medical school tuition in Texas is around 20k.

We are fortunate have to have Goro as our Lord and Savior as his advices are top quality. I recently talked to a MS1 student, 33 years old, non-traditional, with accounting as his major. You can do it, but definitely need a competitive MCAT score. The student I talked about even received 15k scholarship a year, and its huge considering that medical school tuition in Texas is around 20k.
That’s great news. Can you tell me in your opinion, how many shadowing/volunteer hours I should aim to be around? What would a competitive mcat score look like? How important would it be for me to do research?

I say look at Goro's guides under his post, you will find all the information you need there.

That’s great news. Can you tell me in your opinion, how many shadowing/volunteer hours I should aim to be around? What would a competitive mcat score look like? How important would it be for me to do research?

From what I’ve seen on SDN over the years

Try for 200-300 clinical volunteering hours and 150+ nonclinical volunteering. Get 70+ shadowing.

For MD try 510+
For DO try 505+

It’s not as important for nontraditionals to get research experience. But try for 100+ hours.

Reactions: 1 users