[Non-Traditional, no pre-req, 38 yo, mom of 3 under 3. any hope?]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbmnine

Reaction score
Hello

My main question is, is it am I gonna hit the wall, should i drop this idea, is it doable and is it worth it. Getting a job when I am around 50.

LONG back story / info below, thanks for reading in advance and its ok to tell me i need to do my research as that is my plan.

CURRENT FAMILY SITUATION : Spouse finished residency in 2016 and is now in a stable job in FL. Until his end of residency, I was main earner of house being IT Professional making 100k plus what ever residents get. We will have 3 kids under age 3 by Oct 2018, no family or support. Invested in a house and saving money for downpayment by no-childcare until i find a job after Dec 2018. I couldnt find job due to preg and moves.

Current Loan situation: We have 2 car loans, NO student loan, mortgage to begin 2018

Work exp (non science, non healthcare): worked as IT professional 13 years (10 years in USA) I am now a USC. Never worked in hospital or clinic setting

PAST EDUCATION: I did Bachelors in Commerce + computers and then Masters in I.T in India all done by 2003.
Never had any education in USA. No science background. Is this worth anything?

So now that I have a almost 2 years job gap and in IT its as good as starting over. I am considering career change and investing into career and considering possibilities without totally abandoning my kids. I am not much aware of the whole med school process ( never got much positive or motivating go for it response from spouse in past 3 years).

Is this a good plan? ( please mind I am in initial stages of seriously researching)

1) do a 4 m MA course and work as MA part time to start having clinic experience and also some extra money. (maybe work evenings and weekends to reduce child care costs)

2) Take Bio, Chem and Physics course in local college? Do I need to do a Bachelors (3/4) year or can I just do needed coursework under 2 years. (no clue about USA education, will contact local universities to see what theysay)

3)Take MCAT and then decide if MD field is for me.

4) If good score then apply for med school in FL and nearby states. (I hear first 2 years are more manageable than last 2 due to rotations)

5) Residency is its own game ( I saw my spouse go through interviews and selection process) By this time my kids will be in school so chances are i will have to be away for atleast 3 plus years in case its out of state.

6) I don't know if my case is the worst one given I am 38 years old. If my memory and brain can handle med school like the traditional or science bg peers. I will admit, I am afraid that it will be too much and i might fail, I am not a quiter and can put in hard work, just don'tknow if my age, background and not so sharp brain deserves a try given I have more fingers pointing as a I can't do it and rather raise your kids speakers.
Again if this was waste of time for you, shake it off , I am sorry but I had to put this question out for real opinions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I started this journey at 40, with 4 kids. Two are under 3 and the two older children are special needs (autism). I have consistently academically outperformed my traditional peers and am applying this cycle with a 4.0. Can it be done? Yes. Is it going to be a sacrifice? Absolutely.

Aside from getting good grades and studying for the MCAT, you will need to rack up community hours, research, shadowing, etc. I worked during the process too so, to be honest, the last few years have been a bit of a blur. You would need to be creative with your time and accept that you are going to miss some important things in the lives of your loved ones. That said, if you can't imagine doing anything else with your life other than medicine, it is indeed possible.

It will be ugly at times though, and you really need to have your spouse 100% on board with the plan.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a great thread about applying with a foreign bachelors and he outlines in the very first post answers to many of your questions about coursework:

A Guide to Applying US Med School with a Foreign Bachelor Degree

There are several (many?) folks on this forum who have made it and give us older moms hope. I probably wouldn't pursue it solely because your former career track was put on hold and getting back into it would be as good as starting over. I'd do it because this is what you truly want to do. As @esob said:
if you can't imagine doing anything else with your life other than medicine, it is indeed possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not do it. You will sacrifice seeing and making time for your kids. Also, you will be at least 50 by the time you are an attending. That is too old to be starting as a attending in terms of lost wages and not having saved up for retirement. I know others say that is no problem but seriously this process can wear you down tremendously even if you are young. My advice would be to become a physician assistant. 100k+ salary, good hours, way shorter training time and good flexibility.

Thank you for honest and to the point responses. I will look into helpful links provided as well as consider other options that are in between paths.

That is too old to be starting as a attending in terms of lost wages and not having saved up for retirement. xibility.

Her spouse is already an attending physician. Lots of dual-income households do just fine on less than what a single physician earns, and they are already earning beyond that threshold. The other points I agree can be valid for some, but I don't see how finances would be a barrier in this scenario.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello

My main question is, is it am I gonna hit the wall, should i drop this idea, is it doable and is it worth it. Getting a job when I am around 50.

LONG back story / info below, thanks for reading in advance and its ok to tell me i need to do my research as that is my plan.

CURRENT FAMILY SITUATION : Spouse finished residency in 2016 and is now in a stable job in FL. Until his end of residency, I was main earner of house being IT Professional making 100k plus what ever residents get. We will have 3 kids under age 3 by Oct 2018, no family or support. Invested in a house and saving money for downpayment by no-childcare until i find a job after Dec 2018. I couldnt find job due to preg and moves.

Current Loan situation: We have 2 car loans, NO student loan, mortgage to begin 2018

Work exp (non science, non healthcare): worked as IT professional 13 years (10 years in USA) I am now a USC. Never worked in hospital or clinic setting

PAST EDUCATION: I did Bachelors in Commerce + computers and then Masters in I.T in India all done by 2003.
Never had any education in USA. No science background. Is this worth anything?

So now that I have a almost 2 years job gap and in IT its as good as starting over. I am considering career change and investing into career and considering possibilities without totally abandoning my kids. I am not much aware of the whole med school process ( never got much positive or motivating go for it response from spouse in past 3 years).

Is this a good plan? ( please mind I am in initial stages of seriously researching)

1) do a 4 m MA course and work as MA part time to start having clinic experience and also some extra money. (maybe work evenings and weekends to reduce child care costs)

2) Take Bio, Chem and Physics course in local college? Do I need to do a Bachelors (3/4) year or can I just do needed coursework under 2 years. (no clue about USA education, will contact local universities to see what theysay)

3)Take MCAT and then decide if MD field is for me.

4) If good score then apply for med school in FL and nearby states. (I hear first 2 years are more manageable than last 2 due to rotations)

5) Residency is its own game ( I saw my spouse go through interviews and selection process) By this time my kids will be in school so chances are i will have to be away for atleast 3 plus years in case its out of state.

6) I don't know if my case is the worst one given I am 38 years old. If my memory and brain can handle med school like the traditional or science bg peers. I will admit, I am afraid that it will be too much and i might fail, I am not a quiter and can put in hard work, just don'tknow if my age, background and not so sharp brain deserves a try given I have more fingers pointing as a I can't do it and rather raise your kids speakers.
Again if this was waste of time for you, shake it off , I am sorry but I had to put this question out for real opinions. Thanks.
Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated a stellar one at 50 a few years ago. She's now a PGY3 in SoCal.

Reactions: 3 users
( never got much positive or motivating go for it response from spouse in past 3 years).
This to me is the red flag in this thread. Is he going to be supportive? Have you talked about it? how he will take it? I don’t know enough about Indian culture to give any responses. Like multiple other moms, I am not one, said it will be a tough road ahead. You will miss your kids growing up and you just have to accept that. There are only 168 hrs/week. When you’re in med school, there are going to be days you just need to study. I had a group of very close friends before med school who still live in my hometown, I can honestly tell you I just don’t know whats happening with them now. My family, while i was in school, can barely get a hold of me. It’s good you’re planning it out now, and also setting different goal posts along the way.

Sounds like you’re also still worrying about money, too. No student loan for your husband is a HUGE deal. Even doing primary care in FL, if my friends aren’t bs-ing me, should have you not worry about income. However, if you’re buying million dollar house, driving Mercedes and sending all three kids to private school, then you’re going to have some problems.

Lastly, the most important of it all, is this what you want to do? You want to this for glory, fame, money, prestige, helping people, curing disease? All of the above, none of the above? Whatever it is, know it, please periodically check in with yourself and see if whatever you’re giving up is worth it to you.

Good luck.

Her spouse is already an attending physician. Lots of dual-income households do just fine on less than what a single physician earns, and they are already earning beyond that threshold. The other points I agree can be valid for some, but I don't see how finances would be a barrier in this scenario.
that is correct. More than finance the main roadblock is /would be 100% support from spouse especially in last half of the process.

However, if you’re buying million dollar house, driving Mercedes and sending all three kids to private school, then you’re going to have some problems.

Lastly, the most important of it all, is this what you want to do? You want to this for glory, fame, money, prestige, helping people, curing disease? All of the above, none of the above? Whatever it is, know it, please periodically check in with yourself and see if whatever you’re giving up is worth it to you.

Good luck.

Thank you. This group certainly understands. I put a foot down on house investment not being more than what we need. He wanted huge doctor house, I made him settle for under 700s in good school area. No private school. No daycare as far as possible (with any available nanny/family help). (small house in good area instead of big house and private school for 3)

-I want to do this? Yes. (only if I get full support)
-I will do one step at a time if I go for it. ( post-bacc / pre req and mcat with 3 yr in mind again if i get support and money from spouse for this) If I cannot do this part in flying colors, I will not step forward. and take it with attitute that 'I now know little more about some science that I didn't)

You want to this for glory, fame, money, prestige, helping people, curing disease?
-Not for glory and fame. Respect, Yes.
-Money is not the reason but a reward I feel and motivation that any debt can be paid in case i don't have help on that.
-I do want to help, cure and in-fact want to earn enough and rest do volunteer and help the needy.
-I personally know a huge group of people who are not docs but as residents and students they didnt respect the patients. I think there is a shortage of doctors who actually love what they do and genuinely want to help and respect patients while understanding their situation beyond the diagnosis. I am not sure if it is the harsh med school process that turns many minds so rude (behind patients) or its just that many get in field with money and fame as main motive than kindness and help.

-Another this is that i don't know my brain's potential on this. but I think doing pre-req and mcat will prove my potential of understanding and ability to decide further.

-Lastly and most importantly, It will all come down to spouse willing to support and motivate. (he became a FM physician at age 37 himself)

Backup ( once i deliver this last baby, I will either get an IT job or a CMA job to get back on feet and do the pre-req).

Again, thank you folks. I appreciate your time and suggestions. Have a good weekend.

I'm 53. Pre-reqs were pretty easy and I was going through:

1. reported my company to SEC for fraud on their 10Q/K
2. lost job, see above :)
3. housing sham called Wells Fargo (lost $350,000 in equity when they stole my house... yes, there's a book coming out)
4. GM filed bankruptcy before signing the legal agreements with me to re-obtain lemon Escalade leaving me with the lien and the lemon (failed to steer, brake, on-star, etc... state law stated GM must repurchase but ... their bankruptcy thing)
5. Lehman filed for BK, lost $185,000 in a matter of days
6. woke up most days with centipedes crawling on me (see #3)
7. great dane, only thing left from former life, bloated and torsioned right before my Gen Chem II final (2 days prior); I delayed the exam and then ace'd it but still...

Overall GPA through those years? 3.89

GPA when not going through that? (Physics, genetics, human genetics, med mycology, cancer bio)? 4.0

Did you see that I'm 53? What I didn't have to cope with was an unsupportive spouse; I'm single, raised my son on my own (every. single. year.) without child support...

All pre-reqs taken at a pretty solid Top 50 land-granting university and an up-coming land-granting university. No CC's.

Reactions: 4 users
One of my friends has 2 kids under 3, and she is on top of the class. Make sure you have a support system

I will say that you can 100% do it no doubt.
1. Be prepared to lose a lot of time with the kids to study etc
2. Be prepared to have to move to get into med school.
I don't usually suggest PA but if you don't even know if you have a passion for medicine yet, you may very well love what you can get from PA and have to deal with less education time.
If you love medicine then go premed.