Non-Traditional PhD to MD Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocZen1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a non-traditional 2020-2021 applicant and just wanted some advice. I will be defending my thesis for my Ph.D. in aerospace engineering, hopefully, Spring/Summer of 2021. I figured out I wanted to do medicine during my graduate career through some of my volunteer/life experiences. I also really became interested in bringing over some of the perspectives/experiences I attained during my engineering career to medicine.

That said, one of the biggest worries I have regarding my application is that although I applied to medical schools that do not have specific prerequisite requirements, I am still worried not having taken biology, organic chemistry, and biochemistry will hurt me a lot.

I self-studied those courses for the MCAT and got a 516. My Ph.D. research itself is not medicine-related, although the equipment and techniques I use in my research are applicable to medicine. I have, however, participated in medicine-related data analysis research (second author for a pending publication in a well-known medical journal). Also, I tried to convey my interests in medicine through my primary and secondaries.

I guess my question is, from an outside perspective, how would this look in an applicant? I am assuming the prerequisites are there to make sure I am sufficiently prepared for medical school. Would my ability to thrive in medical school academically be questioned? Thank you, any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am a non-traditional 2020-2021 applicant and just wanted some advice. I will be defending my thesis for my Ph.D. in aerospace engineering, hopefully, Spring/Summer of 2021. I figured out I wanted to do medicine during my graduate career through some of my volunteer/life experiences. I also really became interested in bringing over some of the perspectives/experiences I attained during my engineering career to medicine.

That said, one of the biggest worries I have regarding my application is that although I applied to medical schools that do not have specific prerequisite requirements, I am still worried not having taken biology, organic chemistry, and biochemistry will hurt me a lot.

I self-studied those courses for the MCAT and got a 516. My Ph.D. research itself is not medicine-related, although the equipment and techniques I use in my research are applicable to medicine. I have, however, participated in medicine-related data analysis research (second author for a pending publication in a well-known medical journal). Also, I tried to convey my interests in medicine through my primary and secondaries.

I guess my question is, from an outside perspective, how would this look in an applicant? I am assuming the prerequisites are there to make sure I am sufficiently prepared for medical school. Would my ability to thrive in medical school academically be questioned? Thank you, any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!
You bloomed where you were planted. That's 80% of the struggle. For you, your toughest battle may be convincing a medical school admissions office you know what you're getting into. High-quality (and varied) exposure to physicians in a voluntary or paid position will be key.

As far as the academic stuff goes: it might interest you to know the University of Miami used to have a 2-year M.D. for people with a prior Ph.D. They took all backgrounds -- oceanography, mathematics, physics, chemistry. The program ran for around 17 years and the outcomes were tracked. The 2-year M.D. graduates did as well in exams, boards, and they went into every medical specialty. They were all highly motivated and very curious. There are several papers on Pubmed if you are interested. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Many med schools no long require the pre-reqs, only recommend them. Invest in MSAR Online to find out who does what.

Reactions: 1 users