Non-Traditional Pre-Dental Student seeking some advices.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted810749

Hello all,

I am 27 years old and I recently decided to change my career path from IT to Dental.

I have gave a 2-weeks notice at work so I can re-take some classes, shadow some dentists, do some dental volunteer works until I apply for dental schools.

I have a degree of biological science that I got in 2011. I have few 'C' science classes:
Bio 1 : C
Organic Chem 1 : C-
Organic Chem 2: C
Ecology : C+
Genetics C
Other Bio elective 1: C
Other Bio elective 2: C-

One semi-required class I did not take: Biochemistry.

My Master Plan is (while studying for DAT/shadowing/volunteer works)

2017 Spring semester: re-take Bio 1 and Orgo 1

2017 Summer Semester: Try to apply for programs (such as VCU SAEP or UNC MED programs)

2017 Fall semester: retake Orgo 2 and Biochemistry.

Now my real concern is if I should take biochemistry first or before I apply for dental schools. It has been about 6 years since I took classes so I wanted to start with some easy classes such as bio 1 or organic chemistry 1 that would beneficial for my studying for DAT and get some knowledge before I take biochemistry.

Dental admission cycle starts on June if I'm correct. I would start my fall semester on August. So when I apply for dental schools on July~ I would have to put biochemistry as planned course.

After some research, school tends to accept(to school or to interview) the students who are planning to take those pre-req courses. However, as a non-traditional student, I'm not sure if this is still eligible case for me since most of students are traditional and they apply schools before graduation.

How is my plan? Should I consider other path? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
JT

Members don't see this ad.

Dental schools are looking for a long term commitment showing a true desire for dentistry. Because you are just switching up, they will want to see that commitment in the short time before you apply. This means doing as much as you possibly can to get involved in the dental world. Shadowing will be a big part of that. I would try to get 100 hours before you apply. You will also need to improve your science classes. The more you can improve them, the more ADCOMs will we your desire to practice dentistry. Retake as many classes as you can and make sure those grades go up. They want to see that you can handle academic rigor, as in your D1 year you will be taking a TON of science classes and will be expected to get a B or better in them (I am a current D1 student.)

Good luck! I hope all goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
As a side note, I was in a similar type of situation and I had everything but biochem taken by the time of application. Good DAT scores are the best at proving to a school that a low GPA was a past thing and that you are ready for their curriculum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I would share, since everyone talks about retaking this or that. Since neither of the two programs you mentioned are affiliated/guaranteed spot programs, I think, maybe you should consider other SMPs. I was in another field too, and skipped retaking any of those undergrad courses, and went straight to a less competitive SMP. Got a 3.8, and did average in my DATs, and got in. I felt that my commitment was shown by doing well in the SMP and getting a decent DAT. Then I felt that as a non-trad, I had to emphasize what I did to fix the bad performance in undergrad vs how I was able to do so great in the grad level classes.

It helps a bunch, to have a target school, and work closely with an adcom office, and basically have them see your progress throughout the entire thing. For example, day one before doing anything, I got an appointment just for advice with them, told them where I'm at and what I wanted to do, then followed up... Everything they advised me to do, I did, and everything I said I would do, I did. I think that helped my chances quite a bit. Hopefully you can find the same opportunity.

Just another path to think about. Good Luck!

Last edited:
It helps a bunch, to have a target school, and work closely with an adcom office, and basically have them see your progress throughout the entire thing. For example, day one before doing anything, I got an appointment just for advice with them, told them where I'm at and what I wanted to do, then followed up... Everything they advised me to do, I did, and everything I said I would do, I did. I think that helped my chances quite a bit.

@adentistsomeday Thanks for the advice! Could you please elaborate on your experience of working closely with dental school admissions committees? Did you just contact the admissions offices at your target schools before applying and explain your situation and ask for advice? Are admissions committees receptive to that kind of thing?

@adentistsomeday Thanks for the advice! Could you please elaborate on your experience of working closely with dental school admissions committees? Did you just contact the admissions offices at your target schools before applying and explain your situation and ask for advice? Are admissions committees receptive to that kind of thing?

Walked right in to the Dean of admissions offices, and made appointments at those schools and got mixed responses. Some were very receptive and encouraging (although pretty realistic, ie. telling me my chances are slim, you need to improve on this or that, etc), while some had a closed door policy and said "we don't do that". My approach was thinking the worst they could do is say "No, go away". Considering where I was coming from, I focused on the schools that were happy to open communication with me, and I did what they asked or advised me to do. It was a non-traditional approach for a non-traditional student :D