What Are Some Meaningful EC during Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zej3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be a new D1 student this fall. I feel a bit lost about what kind of extracurricular activities should dental students being doing to maximize their time during dental school? During undergraduate, I feel like we have a very clear list of ECs (researches, volunteers, shadowing) that all serve a clear purpose to help us get into dental school. But now we are at dental school. Is there still a clear list for ECs, or should we focus more on personal growth (relationships, finance, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Play pick up sports with your buddies. Have game nights with your classmates. The best ECs were the unofficial ones.

Reactions: 4 users
I spent a lot of time planning events and fun things like hikes, BBQ, etc with our schools faith based organization and our youth group

I also volunteered quite a bit with a free local dental charity. And I was involved with a school dental charity organization that paid for tx done by D3/4 for pts that couldn’t afford it. I also did research and publishing.

Greatly enjoyed all of those things. do whatever ECs you enjoy, don’t force yourself into something for the sake of putting it down on a resume.

also it is fine to do 0 ECs. If you want to specialize maybe a position in ASDA or something. But it’s not really that critical imo