Non-traditional student .... Applying Soon???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theNTAmedic12

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to SDN. I am glad to find a site with participants so eager and happy to help other people!!!

I am a non-traditional student who recently completed my BS in Emergency Medical Care. I am a few medical school pre-requisites short (Three classes I believe).

I am currently preparing to take my MCAT, using the Kaplan study material.

My question is about my options. From what I have been able to determine, I can do one of four things to get my final pre-requisite classes:

Pursue a master's degree to met the remaining classes
Purse a second bachelor's degree to meet the classes (I believe that I am only like 4 classes away from being able to obtain a Biology degree)
Take each class individually
Purse a post-baccalaureate program

Is there any other options?

I am also a flight paramedic that works in the EMS and Hospital settings with 6 years of experience.

Is there any options that are available for me that anybody can think of that does not require me to finish my educational pre-requisites but would allow me to apply successfully into medical school based upon my current education and professional experiences?
 
Unfortunately the prerequisites are required. You'll have to take them before you matriculate if you do happen to be accepted into medical school without having all of the prerequsites done. If I were you I'd just take the few you need as a non-degree seeking student and be done with it.
 
When considering how to meet the prerequisites, you should consider your current AMCAS overall and science GPA.

If your GPA needs some help, then you'll want to make sure to do well in these classes (A), and fulfill them as post-baccalaureate work (not masters degree), so that they will count towards the undergraduate AMCAS GPA - SDN wisdom says that admissions look more at your undergraduate GPA than Masters.

As to how to take the classes (community college, extension, second degree, formal post-bacc), you'll probably be heavily influenced by what options you have available, your schedule, and your budget. For me, I was unable to even get on the waiting list at Community College for the classes I needed due to demand. So I ended up in a formal post-bacc...while it was more expensive than CC, it was awesome to have the cohort, the dedicated smaller classes, the high caliber university professors.