Non Traditional Student - Difficult Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lengluiii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an applied psychology major who has undergone several paths in college. My first two and a half yrs of schooling were absolutely horrible because I wasn't ready for college and set me off with around a 1.8 cGPA. I went to Community College and spend 2 years there with a cGPA over there of about 3.7. I am now at a distinguished university going for a BS in Applied Psychology and my grades are just as good. However, applied psychology does not do much for my pre-health prereqs. I have till December 2011 till I get my degree.

I met with a pre-health advisor and now I am utterly confused on how I should go about my way planning to medical school. I was planning on taking my prereqs at the old community college I received my associates degree, but I was told by them that taking it at a community college is not a good idea because the courses won't be "strong" enough to get me to medical school. Community college could help me save a lot of money and it would be much more expensive to have them done at the university I am currently attending.

Also, they said that I can finish up my degree and do well in Applied Psych and then go for a post bacc, but I don't wanna spend another few years to get that all dont when I could be starting on them right now...

I also considered taking the prereqs at another school thats cheaper while i'm at the university or take them in the summer. However, I was told if you take prereqs in the summer, they don't look good? Is that true? If I do take my prereqs while I'm obtaining my applied psychology degree, should I take it at this school or another school.

If you went to three schools and you did poorly on your first and the last two you did very well in, do you still have a good chance at medical school? What would be my best option? I really don't want to do a post bacc.

One last thing is that should I take the prereqs over that i've already dont in community college and did well at? I was told that I should even though I did very well in it. **VERY confused**:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently an applied psychology major who has undergone several paths in college. My first two and a half yrs of schooling were absolutely horrible because I wasn't ready for college and set me off with around a 1.8 cGPA. I went to Community College and spend 2 years there with a cGPA over there of about 3.7. I am now at a distinguished university going for a BS in Applied Psychology and my grades are just as good. However, applied psychology does not do much for my pre-health prereqs. I have till December 2011 till I get my degree.

I met with a pre-health advisor and now I am utterly confused on how I should go about my way planning to medical school. I was planning on taking my prereqs at the old community college I received my associates degree, but I was told by them that taking it at a community college is not a good idea because the courses won't be "strong" enough to get me to medical school. Community college could help me save a lot of money and it would be much more expensive to have them done at the university I am currently attending.

Also, they said that I can finish up my degree and do well in Applied Psych and then go for a post bacc, but I don't wanna spend another few years to get that all dont when I could be starting on them right now...

I also considered taking the prereqs at another school thats cheaper while i'm at the university or take them in the summer. However, I was told if you take prereqs in the summer, they don't look good? Is that true? If I do take my prereqs while I'm obtaining my applied psychology degree, should I take it at this school or another school.

If you went to three schools and you did poorly on your first and the last two you did very well in, do you still have a good chance at medical school? What would be my best option? I really don't want to do a post bacc.

One last thing is that should I take the prereqs over that i've already dont in community college and did well at? I was told that I should even though I did very well in it. **VERY confused**:eek:

Pre-reqs at a community college (CC): There's some debate about this. There are people that have gone to CC for pre-reqs and claim it doesn't matter, and there are people who have been rejected and told this was a factor in the decision. IMO, you should not do pre-reqs at a CC because it's one checkmark in the "possibly negative" column. Do you see what I mean? You're going to be trying to prove your academic prowess here, especially after messing up before. A CC is not really the best way to do that.

Secondly, is it impossible for you to complete the pre-reqs at your university before graduating? The downside to this route is that your grades will be calculated in with your undergrad GPA. Considering your performance during the first 2.5 years, this could be a serious problem.

I would suggest retaking classes you got less than a C in. Then, complete a post-bac or special masters program. I know this isn't what you want to do, but unfortunately it's the best way to prove yourself. Making up for those 2.5 years won't be quick or easy, but if you're committed to medicine it will be well worth it.

Good luck.

Pre-reqs at a community college (CC): There's some debate about this. There are people that have gone to CC for pre-reqs and claim it doesn't matter, and there are people who have been rejected and told this was a factor in the decision. IMO, you should not do pre-reqs at a CC because it's one checkmark in the "possibly negative" column. Do you see what I mean? You're going to be trying to prove your academic prowess here, especially after messing up before. A CC is not really the best way to do that.

Secondly, is it impossible for you to complete the pre-reqs at your university before graduating? The downside to this route is that your grades will be calculated in with your undergrad GPA. Considering your performance during the first 2.5 years, this could be a serious problem.

I would suggest retaking classes you got less than a C in. Then, complete a post-bac or special masters program. I know this isn't what you want to do, but unfortunately it's the best way to prove yourself. Making up for those 2.5 years won't be quick or easy, but if you're committed to medicine it will be well worth it.

Good luck.

Agreed with smooth on this one. I remember while as a undergrad, many people going off to CC to take all their math classes, precalc, cal I and II, and stats because they were supposedly easier and taught more basically at the CC level then at the undergraduate level. I luckily was not one of these people because I have heard of several MD, DO, and even some Ph.D programs that look down upon and have rejected applicants who take pre-reqs at CCs. I had a few people I knew at college though who did the CC route with their math courses and had some trouble with rejections from professional programs. I think it is better to take it at your undergrad institute, especially if your applying to a MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with both the above posts. It's one thing to take one course at a community college, which I'd argue is ok. It's another to take most your pre-reqs at one (definitely do NOT do this).

Agreed with smooth on this one. I remember while as a undergrad, many people going off to CC to take all their math classes, precalc, cal I and II, and stats because they were supposedly easier and taught more basically at the CC level then at the undergraduate level. I luckily was not one of these people because I have heard of several MD, DO, and even some Ph.D programs that look down upon and have rejected applicants who take pre-reqs at CCs. I had a few people I knew at college though who did the CC route with their math courses and had some trouble with rejections from professional programs. I think it is better to take it at your undergrad institute, especially if your applying to a MD program.

Many med schools specifically state on their requirements page that CC credit are not accepted for the pre-med requirements. As far as what they count in the overall GPA, etc, you would have to ask each individual school. They all have their own way to look at your grades and interpret AMCAS calculations.

m.

I'm going to go against conventional wisdom here, but...

For what it's worth, I took most of my pre-reqs at a community college, as did many friends of mine who are now in medical school or doctors. If you go this route, though, investigate the reputation of the cc's that you're considering, as not all are created equally, and state medical schools are often aware of this. I know of only one school that outright rejects people based on cc credits (I think it's Case, but you should check to be sure). If you're asked about it in an interview, the cost issue is totally valid. Another bonus to cc is the flexibility of the schedule, allowing for work. Whatever you do, make excellent grades.

Also, some of my cc pre-req credits were over 10 years old, and there was no way in hell I was going to take them over again, especially given the fact that I had recent upper-division science credits. Talk to the admissions department of the schools you're interested in applying to directly, and see what they think. Their opinion >>>> any adviser's opinion.

Finally, I took o'chem 1 and physics 1 over the summer. I did VERY WELL, and I think that's the key. If you don't feel like you can get an A, though, don't do it.

Rock out the rest of your undergrad and do really well, and you have a shot. I personally would do an informal post-bacc at a cc or cheaper state school to protect your undergrad gpa. If you take summer classes and decide to keep your old grades, then you could be applying by 2012.

Many med schools specifically state on their requirements page that CC credit are not accepted for the pre-med requirements. As far as what they count in the overall GPA, etc, you would have to ask each individual school. They all have their own way to look at your grades and interpret AMCAS calculations.

m.

Do you know which ones? I only found one when I was applying, and I think that was Case, but they also wanted me to take classes over again.

And also, I thought all schools looked at all grades from every accredited college you've ever gone to.

I know that med schools here will give you a list of acceptable community college for credit int he state.

Some will take them with conditions.

Not true about case: http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/process/faq.cfm.

Case is ONLY concerned is ALL of your pre-reqs are from community college. They are ok with one or two. I think it's best to limit yourself to a few classes (why make your life a little more difficult).

Do you know which ones? I only found one when I was applying, and I think that was Case, but they also wanted me to take classes over again.

And also, I thought all schools looked at all grades from every accredited college you've ever gone to.