non-traditional student seeking med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpvm99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 29 yr-old veterinary intern interested in becoming an MD. I have a lot of schooling behind me. I have always loved medicine. I have family who are vets and those who are docs. I decided to work on animals a measly five years ago ( internships aren't required as a vet one can simply go out in practice after 4 years. I have almost finished a generalized internship in medicine, surgery, emergency medicine) but found that I wanted to do more in my career as well as an innate feeling of wanting to help the clients of pets who come in with their own medical conditions. I must admit I have a 3.2 in undergrad, a 3.6 in grad school and only a 2.7 in the 2.5 years of vet school. I did however do well in the clinics at vet school (As and Bs). I have letters to prove my clinical abilities. Unfortunately, the last year and a half doesnt figure into the GPA.
So, I am practically at the end of a year small animal matched internship and I would like to become a MD( the weird part is I didn't even have to do an internship but decided to do one to make sure that I didn't in fact want to continue my career as a vet. Most of my classmates just went out into private practice.) Sounds crazy huh?? Well, I feel for the people I see everyday and derive immense satisfaction from talking with them and listening to their stories. I would like to help them out. My biggest concern as I am getting ready for the MCAT is that the admissions committees will look at my vet school grades and laugh. I was one of those people who planned on going out into private practice with family and not doing an internship or residency. In a way I am remiss as I realize how important grades are. As an intern in a private practice and doing relief work on the side I am very familiar with my career but would like to do more.A big part of my reason to be an MD is I have always had an interest in oncology and have wanted to help people. Two years ago my sister was diagnosed with cancer and I had wanted to pursue a oncology residency in veterinary medicine. Yet, I looked into that possibility and it was very limited as far as helping people. I realized I wanted to help people with cancer directly.I want t o be on the front lines helping people.
Secondly, If I apply thru the AMCAS process and dont get into med school in the US should I consider going out of the country to Ross or St. George in the Carribbean? I have heard some good things about these two schools. Or is it impossible to go and be readmitted back in the US?? after being a foreign medical graduate.
I know my story is different than most but I was wondering if you could give me any suggestions/advice?? I have read a lot of books on going to foreign med schools but havent gotten any honest straight answers from peoplein person. Thanks again PS Is volunteering in an ER the best way to get hospital related experience or are there other ways?? It has been years since I worked in a hospital.

[This message has been edited by bpvm99 (edited 05-14-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

MD schools will look unfavorably upon two things in your application:
- your grades in vet school. After all they are looking at your background for signs that indicate that you will do well in med school.
- the fact that you went through vet school and are quitting now, without even having been in practice.

It doesn't mean it is impossible to gain admission, but I think it is wise to check out some offshore schools.

[This message has been edited by UHS2002 (edited 05-14-2000).]

It is not unheard of for medical schools to accept applicants currently in other professions. However, since you have never even practiced as a vet, you need a compelling reason for why it is you decided to do this, and probably you should explain about your sister's illness inspiring you to be an MD instead.

I think you can probably get into a DO school. They are, traditionally, more accepting of people switching from other areas of medicine (I have heard of podiatrists/chiropractors/dentists getting in, so why not a vet?).

Your ugpa and vet school gpa's will be calculated separately. Hopefully you have a good enough undergrad gpa. I would not worry too much about your vet grades. Grad/professional school grade are so different from ugpa (why they are evaluated separately). So long as you left in good standing, did not fail classes, and can get good letters of rec. from previous professors, you should be OK.