Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srq2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a nontraditional student (graduated from undergrad in 2015). Medical school was NOT on my radar in college. Over the past two years, I've been planning on eventually returning to nursing school. However, my time in clinical settings has made me realize I want to be a Doctor. Of course, I have a lot of prereqs to take, so I want to ensure that my goal is realistic before investing a LOT of time and money into preparing to apply.

Please note that I do NOT have all of my science classes done nor have I taken the MCAT. What are my chances assuming I do well on those two (important) pieces? Thank you in advance for your feedback!

My Stats:
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: Haven't invested in many prereqs yet, but it'll likely be around 3.8
MCAT: Not yet taken (would take after prereq classes done)
Major: Religion
Residency: Colorado
School: Pacific Lutheran University

Clinical experience
- EMT-IV, 500 hours and counting as volunteer EMT, work directly with patients on ambulances and doing community outreach at area events
- As part of a fulltime position as a summer camp director, I worked at a weeklong diabetes camp for kids with Diabetes (60 hours)
- As part of fulltime position as summer camp director, I oversee the Camp Nurses, assist in improving best practices for camp healthcare, assist the Camp Nurse in their duties, and work with a Medical Director to update protocols and procedures
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR Instructor

Research:
- None--this seems to be the biggest barrier to me--as I'll just be enrolling at my area university for prerequisite classes part-time. Should I invest in pursuing research? Or will I have a chance without it?

Shadowing:
I will aim for 50 hours--I have connections with our local hospital through EMS and I'll shadow in EM and OBGYN

Volunteering
- 100 hours volunteering at Family of Hope Center in Windhoek, Namibia (study abroad volunteer experience assisting in classroom for low-income children)
- 500 hours and counting of EMT volunteering
- 30 hours at Bridges of Hope, youth mentoring program
- Elected member of the Board of Directors of a nonprofit professional organization for summer camps (I'm leaving the title off to protect anonymity)

Extracurriculars
- Playing oboe in community band
- Running
- Hiking and backpacking

Work Experience
- Two years of full-time work in the nonprofit sector, specifically at residential summer camps
- My role includes: hiring and supervising 50 college-aged summer staff, overseeing high school wilderness programs, overseeing high school service programs that focus on hunger, homelessness, and refugee issues, overseeing marketing and program development

Members don't see this ad.

You have good chances with those assumptions but you are also assuming a lot. The MCAT is a nightmare so be ready for it. Research is only important on your application if you want to go to the top schools. Your ECs seem to be good...just get as many As as you can. GPA is crazy important to schools then do as well on the MCAT as you can. You are on a solid track. I graduated winter of 2013 and am starting med school this year so you got time.

Research need is overrated, especially for non-trads. Suggest adding in more non-clinical volunteering, especially service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Hello,
I am a nontraditional student (graduated from undergrad in 2015). Medical school was NOT on my radar in college. Over the past two years, I've been planning on eventually returning to nursing school. However, my time in clinical settings has made me realize I want to be a Doctor. Of course, I have a lot of prereqs to take, so I want to ensure that my goal is realistic before investing a LOT of time and money into preparing to apply.

Please note that I do NOT have all of my science classes done nor have I taken the MCAT. What are my chances assuming I do well on those two (important) pieces? Thank you in advance for your feedback!

My Stats:
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: Haven't invested in many prereqs yet, but it'll likely be around 3.8
MCAT: Not yet taken (would take after prereq classes done)
Major: Religion
Residency: Colorado
School: Pacific Lutheran University

Clinical experience
- EMT-IV, 500 hours and counting as volunteer EMT, work directly with patients on ambulances and doing community outreach at area events
- As part of a fulltime position as a summer camp director, I worked at a weeklong diabetes camp for kids with Diabetes (60 hours)
- As part of fulltime position as summer camp director, I oversee the Camp Nurses, assist in improving best practices for camp healthcare, assist the Camp Nurse in their duties, and work with a Medical Director to update protocols and procedures
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR Instructor

Research:
- None--this seems to be the biggest barrier to me--as I'll just be enrolling at my area university for prerequisite classes part-time. Should I invest in pursuing research? Or will I have a chance without it?

Shadowing:
I will aim for 50 hours--I have connections with our local hospital through EMS and I'll shadow in EM and OBGYN

Volunteering
- 100 hours volunteering at Family of Hope Center in Windhoek, Namibia (study abroad volunteer experience assisting in classroom for low-income children)
- 500 hours and counting of EMT volunteering
- 30 hours at Bridges of Hope, youth mentoring program
- Elected member of the Board of Directors of a nonprofit professional organization for summer camps (I'm leaving the title off to protect anonymity)

Extracurriculars
- Playing oboe in community band
- Running
- Hiking and backpacking

Work Experience
- Two years of full-time work in the nonprofit sector, specifically at residential summer camps
- My role includes: hiring and supervising 50 college-aged summer staff, overseeing high school wilderness programs, overseeing high school service programs that focus on hunger, homelessness, and refugee issues, overseeing marketing and program development