Non-traditional students and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted634258

Dear forum members,

I apologise if this has already been posted and discussed elsewhere, but I was curious as to the residencies that non-trads apply to and get into. Is it true that non-trads are much more limited than other students, especially if they finish medical school in their 30's instead of their (late) 20's? I would love to hear some experiences.

Best,

Jonathan

Members don't see this ad.

I am non traditional and will be matriculating next year at age 27, so roughly 31 when I begin residency. I plan to do a 3 year pediatric residency which would land me around 34-35 and maybe even a PICU fellowship. It all depends on what you want out of life, I don't feel like there's ever too old an age to do what you love.

Dear forum members,

I apologise if this has already been posted and discussed elsewhere, but I was curious as to the residencies that non-trads apply to and get into. Is it true that non-trads are much more limited than other students, especially if they finish medical school in their 30's instead of their (late) 20's? I would love to hear some experiences.

Best,

Jonathan
Where did you hear this.
It's nonsense.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear forum members,

Best,

Jonathan
I don't think this would be this case. That is because residencies cannot discriminate against age. That is a federal law and residencies are federally funded. I think that matching to a residency depends on you USMLE/COMLEX scores, medical school performance and your interview...not your age.

Dear forum members,

Best,

Jonathan

Non-Trade apply to the fields they are interested in and have the scores for, just like anyone else.

No, it is NOT true that non-trads have limitations compared to other students when applying - it is not based on age, as stated above, it is based on your scores, grades, LoRs, etc.

I started residency at 31, will graduate at 34. Currently interviewing for Cardiology - no limitations.

Wife started residency June 2019 at 34 in General Surgery.

Reactions: 1 user