Non-traditional students--how do you do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xelda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated a few years ago in a non-science field. After working for a while, I've decided I want a career change. I plan on spending the next year or two completing prereqs for dental school at my local university. I'm a little scared though when I think that I'll go from having a steady income to having to live off of student loans. How does everyone else do it? Even when I "live cheaply," I still need a lot to keep up with rent, utilities, car payments, etc. Then on top of that, tuition and school fees. I'm looking at potential 40-50K of debt before I would even start dental school. Am I doing something wrong or should I just take a leap of faith and do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Your not doing anything wrong. If you have your heart set on a career in Dental Medicine, then it can be done. I'm also a non-traditional, and I found that you can't compare yourself to others, just do what it takes to reach your goal.

My story sounds very similar to yours ... I've taken student loans but at the same time have held down 2 sometimes 3 part time jobs while I've been back in school getting my second degree in Biology. Its tough but will be well worth it hopefully starting Fall 09.

Members don't see this ad :)
I quit a 60K job 3 years ago to do this now I'm $46K in the hole (student loans) but there is no choice for me, I have to be a dentist, it not about the money I don't want to do anything else.

I graduated a few years ago in a non-science field. After working for a while, I've decided I want a career change. I plan on spending the next year or two completing prereqs for dental school at my local university. I'm a little scared though when I think that I'll go from having a steady income to having to live off of student loans. How does everyone else do it? Even when I "live cheaply," I still need a lot to keep up with rent, utilities, car payments, etc. Then on top of that, tuition and school fees. I'm looking at potential 40-50K of debt before I would even start dental school. Am I doing something wrong or should I just take a leap of faith and do it?

I think the first question I would ask is "Why can't you live cheaply in student-mode?" Is it personal spending habits? Or others? Remember that for every $ you borrow for your loans, at the end of an average repaying period you are probably paying 2x back.

Xelda,
Yes, it will be hard. You have to really ask yourself "Are you willing to live the student-mode lifestyle/loans and take a chance on the possiblity on becoming a dentist." If you really want it, you can handle it.... good luck.

If you're keen on debt aversion while fulfilling your pre-reqs, look into employee benefits packages at certain schools. While working at a particular school, they may allow you to take nighttime/extension/bridge courses free of cost. Many schools have this setup as a benefits package for employees looking to build on a career while working. A friend of mine did this at Harvard's extension school, and is now in med student at Tulane.

i;ve managed to get only about 5K in the hole, but i saved up for about a year before i went back to school and also worked as a waiter making good $$ 4-5 nights a week.

it is tough though. lifestyle change was brutal at first but you get used to it. i used to be very social, ie lots of happy hours, etc., as well as lots of dough out the door to support my biking addiction...which is quite expensive. but you learn to pick and choose your spots. i am single w/ no kids. not sure how people w/ family responsibilities do it though!

I'm a nontraditional too. I totally lucked out getting into a less expensive school, SUNY-Buffalo. We have it tougher but once we get in we are more focused and generally more mature than the traditional students. :thumbup: We don't get intimidated by the amount of work that goes into passing school. :cool:

I know what you guys mean. I was doing great by most people’s book. I left it all: a $50k yr a job in sales, the company car, work from home schedule, and etc... all to go back to d-school. I have been working on the sciences for a few years now, interviewed at one school last cycle and didn’t get in. Oh well… No big deal… this is my passion… I will get in! I am still working toward my goal, finishing advance sciences, shadowing dentist, retaking the DAT, and reapplying to schools. Still the best decision I have ever made and I couldn’t be happier. Has it been tough? YES! Have I struggled? HELL YES.

If you haven’t already done this, might I suggest the first thing you really need to ask, before the cost, is why are you looking at d-school? There are easier ways to make money… Less stressful careers… etc… Do you understand that you are going to give up a large amount of your life for this, in addition to the financial cost, and are you OK with that? Have you shadowed a dentist yet to see what it is really about? I only mention this because my life is totally different now that I am working toward d-school. I study a lot on my time off. I don’t see my friends and family as much. I have missed major events in people’s lives because of tests or because I was working when other people are out playing. I have probably lost $200-300k in lost salary that will never be made up once I start working fulltime again because I will have $130-160K in debt to pay back. I think it is important to think about all these things before you even start.

Sorry to get on my soap box… to answer your question… For me to be able to go back to school, make the grades needed, and still pay for it all… I quit my old career, found a job in a restaurant working nights and weekends, I took classes at a Jr. College to save money, I moved from a nice apartment ($800 month) to an efficiency ($400 month), I sold my gas guzzling SUV and bought a little Honda (cheap gas, low insurance, and no car payment). I have stopped dinning out every weekend and remind me again what a happy hour is? … oh yeah, that is when I have to go to work… haha! I have cut back on everything from gym memberships to dating. Some of it sucks… but when I volunteer with a local clinic and I help people with exposed roots, broken teeth, or even meth mouth… well, that is why I do it.

I wish you the best! Hope you find your passion…

You may make a lot more money in other fields but I've never heard of a dentist who got pink slipped. ;) That is a good enough reason to some. :love: