Non traditional??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drDOOMm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok.. so I've worked as an EMT and I loved it. Wanted to become wither an MD or DO... so here are my stats. Give it to me straight and hard :scared:. Do I have any chance???

Stats:
graduated in 2005 from Trinity U. in San Antonio. BA in philosophy (i know!) 3.2 GPA.

took some pre-req classes at a community college. 4.0 with 8 classes.
took 2 blow off classes at another community college (we're taking basket weaving here) and failed both. (I left the country around finals time)

MCAT: 38 (on a regimented practice test)

ECs
none while at trinity. BUT... since then I've:
Lived and worked in asia for 2 years
speak 4 languages fluently
am a published author (young adult novel w/ bantam)
worked as an EMT-B and then as an EMT-I
also have some other writing credits
...all in all, pretty eclectic.

SO, what do you think?

THANKS, Y'ALL!!! (that's right, I AM from texas. Sorry. :) )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok.. so I've worked as an EMT and I loved it. Wanted to become wither an MD or DO... so here are my stats. Give it to me straight and hard :scared:. Do I have any chance???

Stats:
graduated in 2005 from Trinity U. in San Antonio. BA in philosophy (i know!) 3.2 GPA.

took some pre-req classes at a community college. 4.0 with 8 classes.
took 2 blow off classes at another community college (we're taking basket weaving here) and failed both. (I left the country around finals time)

ECs
none while at trinity. BUT... since then I've:
Lived and worked in asia for 2 years
speak 4 languages fluently
am a published author (young adult novel w/ bantam)
worked as an EMT-B and then as an EMT-I
also have some other writing credits
...all in all, pretty eclectic.

SO, what do you think?

THANKS, Y'ALL!!! (that's right, I AM from texas. Sorry. :) )

No offense, but isn't this the third thread you've posted about this today? Generally the advice is going to be the same from one thread to the next, and whether it's Astronomy and Theater or Economics and Pottery Making, the idea is the same; it's two classes that you're definitely going to have to explain as to why you took them if you had no interest. Your ECs are good, but show a lack of consistency. Your GPA is low, so you may consider taking some courses to work on it, either via post-bach or a SMP.

Do you have a chance? Absolutely, but you need to work on it and stop asking the same question in three different ways to try to get the answer you want out of it. You know the position you're in better than any of us, and everyone has given you the advice you need to dig yourself out of it. I sincerely wish you great luck in the future and on getting into medical school!

You'll definitely have to explain basket weaving. That's a very irresponsible move, but if you manage to have a good explanation, it can be overlooked.

They say community college credits are not well looked upon, but the 38 MCAT will most certainly make that disappear.

Overall, good chances for MD in Texas (assuming your GPA is now higher than 3.2 and your science is extremely high).

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense, but isn't this the third thread you've posted about this today?

3 different questions. In the same vein but different. They're evolving ;)

--this last one is in acceptance of the failing grades. and has all of the stats laid out. Sliiightly different.

And sorry for the attempt at exuberance and zany. the posts with chuckle chuckles and winky faces seem to get better/more responses. I'd like to think that my general contempt for most people doesn't come through in writing at least, but apparently it does. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:!!

wow!!! those wacky faces are just TOOO fun!

Help! I am 27 years old. Graduated a year ago with Psychology major. My overall GPA is 3.74, my science GPA is 3.5. From science courses I have only ones that required for premed. I don't have any research experience and no volunteering . Originally I am from Belarus, I came here as a political refugee in 2004. I have two small children ( 3 and 4 y.o ), that is why I didn't get a chance to build up my EC. But my dream is to become a doctor, and currently I am preparing for MCAT. What are my chances?