Non-Traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a degree in pharmacy. (Just graduated this year, 25 years old, haven't started working yet though.) I have this kinda inner feeling that I'm not done with the whole school/learning process yet.

Do Med Schools look at your stats from your grad school, or do they want your stats from undergraduate only? Also, will having a doctorate in pharmacy suffice, or will I have to go back and complete my bachelor's. (I had 101 credits on the way to a Biology degree when I got accepted to pharmacy school.)

Any advantages/disadvantages having a doctorate degree vs the traditional students.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sparda, I don't know about the pharmacy degree situation, so I hope someone else can help. However, I do know that adcoms will look at ALL of your grades. Undergrad, grad, anything post-bacc, etc.

Have a degree in pharmacy. (Just graduated this year, 25 years old, haven't started working yet though.) I have this kinda inner feeling that I'm not done with the whole school/learning process yet.

1) Do Med Schools look at your stats from your grad school, or do they want your stats from undergraduate only?
2) Also, will having a doctorate in pharmacy suffice, or will I have to go back and complete my bachelor's. (I had 101 credits on the way to a Biology degree when I got accepted to pharmacy school.)

3) Any advantages/disadvantages having a doctorate degree vs the traditional students.
1) Most med schools mainly consider undergrad grades, including generally the first few years of the PharmD which are typically marked as undergrad on your transcript. All college grades and undergrad-level coursework from pharm school are calculated to gether to create the cGPA. Some give weight to the BCPM of grad school grades. All of the rest will look at all your grades and grade trends, mainly in the respect that if the most recent were dismal, it doesn't reflect well.

2) Some med schools absolutely will not consider you without a bachelors degree. Most will, if you have a PharmD.

3) You will have to do some major fancy footwork to explain the shift in focus from one professional program to another to avoid the "unable to commit" label.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Most med schools mainly consider undergrad grades, including generally the first few years of the PharmD which are typically marked as undergrad on your transcript. All college grades and undergrad-level coursework from pharm school are calculated to gether to create the cGPA. Some give weight to the BCPM of grad school grades. All of the rest will look at all your grades and grade trends, mainly in the respect that if the most recent were dismal, it doesn't reflect well.

2) Some med schools absolutely will not consider you without a bachelors degree. Most will, if you have a PharmD.

3) You will have to do some major fancy footwork to explain the shift in focus from one professional program to another to avoid the "unable to commit" label.

Is a ****ty job market a good enough reason for #3?

Try to do better. That's what all the JDs and engineering grads are up against, too.

What about lack of professional power/authority? It's like when we go on rounds, people know you're there to give drug recommendations about the patients, but they don't really care or listen and they end up doing what they want, even though they are wrong according to the books.

What about lack of professional power/authority? It's like when we go on rounds, people know you're there to give drug recommendations about the patients, but they don't really care or listen and they end up doing what they want, even though they are wrong according to the books.
That's better.