Nonaccredited DMFT - Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gltrrnbw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to an unaccredited dmft programme, and was invited to interview. I'm regretting it now though, because of the accreditation issues.
Will that be detrimental to employability in the long run?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I applied to an unaccredited dmft programme, and was invited to interview. I'm regretting it now though, because of the accreditation issues.
Will that be detrimental to employability in the long run?

A doctor of marriage and family therapy has no state board licensure equivalent. It's not a degree you can pursue to become a licensed psychologist, so that will really limit job prospects and confuse potential employers if you have a doctorate but no psychologist title.
You'd have to be licensed as a master's level MFT with your doctorate. In some ways, the degree is a "no man's land" professionally. Master's level licensure might create billing/supervision issues for you if you practice, and you'll most likely not achieve adequate doctoral level pay without a psychologist's license.

There are a few doctor of psychology (Psy.D.) or Ph.D. programs That are counseling or clinical with a specialization in marriage and family therapy, and those are the only ones (other than general clinical and counseling psychology doctorates) that could lead to licensure as a psychologist. Outside of that, I would STRONGLY advise against a Doctorate in Marriage and Family Therapy given the above issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As Doctor Who often says, RUN!

Reactions: 1 user