NonTrad. Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TejasMed2009

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Science GPA: 3.69 (Bio, Phyiscs, Chem and Organic I&II + Biochem and Genetics)

Management Finance Double Major GPA: 3.78

MCAT 34P

Volunteer: 10 hrs/ weeks for one week so far but will continue to do so. In a great ER program.

Shadowing: 20 hrs of great experience following Pediatric Neurologist

Other ECs: Scholarship Track Athlete in college, on several national Championship squads as well as winning one team national championship

( I am a little worried about the Science GPA and only taking the requirements, is it going to hold me back?)

Submitting App. on July 15th...(waiting for last letter of rec.)

applying to:

All Texas Schools
University of Illinois at Chicago
Northwestern
University of Arkansas
University of Oklahoma
Mayo

I am fairly new to this, so I am not sure if I am way over reaching here, I know Northwestern, Mayo and a couple of the Texas Schools are long shots, but are all of them?

Thanks!
 
Ummm....that's an odd collection of schools. I figure you're a TX resident, but how did you pick the others? Hard to advise when it's hard to see where you're coming from exactly. And did you see how expensive UIC is OOS? Ordinarily I'd say you should apply to more schools, but your stats are great and you're a TX resident, so I'd bet you're going to get some real instate love. The only thing that worries me is your lack of significant clinical experience. Be sure in your personal statement to make it clear you know what you're getting into.

As for your science gpa and only taking the pre-reqs, you're fine - don't sweat either. But as mentioned, I would be sure to rack up as many clinical hours as possible over the next few months and perhaps send a letter of update to all the schools letting them know. Sounds like you've got very little so far, and that could be a problem for some schools.