Nontrad Medical Student: Ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JocktoDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've gotten a lot of random messages about my postbac experience and the application process. I'm off for the summer and can answer any and all q's you have about getting in. Keep pushing!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you find shadowing opportunities?

I'm a nontrad and cold calling / emailing hasn't worked yet.

Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Members don't see this ad :)

Try visiting medical practices in person with a pre-med resume in hand. When you're told no, ask if they know some other physicians in the area who might be open to being shadowed. Also, consider contacting a regional medical association.

How did you find shadowing opportunities?

Not going to lie: cold calling and emailing is a low-yield strategy. You should still do it as its also low-effort, but try these approaches as well:

1) Ask doctors in your family/social circles to shadow them. Or you can try your own doctor. This worked for me.
2) Talk to your health professions advisor if you have one at school. They usually have some programs where you can shadow.
3) Reach out to a local medical school and see if they can point you in the right direction
4) Volunteer at a local hospital - you can put the experience on your application as well. It won't be a glamorous job, but it will put you in front of doctors so you can network and ask them to shadow.

Just keep in mind that shadowing in and of itself is a lower tier EC. If you want to do it to get an idea of what being a doctor is like, then spend the time looking for a shadowing slot. But its not going to count for much on your application. The best ECs are the ones where you can talk at length about what you DID. Not what you saw. For me, they were EMS, research, and a medical missions trip. Most of my med school class spent some time doing some form of clinical work - scribing, EMS, medical assistant, etc. Many got their shadowing opportunities as a bonus through their work.

Not sure if you are still answering questions, but would love to hear a bit more about your journey and stats.

Everyone on here says to ace a post bac but thats easier said than done. I royally Fed up my undergrad but since then I've done consistently better (~3.5ish gpa)..do you really need a 4.0 post bac to get acceptance into DO??? A few schools have told me as long as you're above 3.5 you're good but i want to know what your experience was and if you know of other post bacs with less than 4.0