Nontraditional applicant would appreciate advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndThenSome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's ridiculously late in the app cycle, but I'm struggling with this decision and am hoping for some good feedback. I live and work in San Francisco and my top choice school is UCSF. Because it's so late (took the MCAT Sept 4th), it seemed like a bad idea to do the normal app process this year (normal = applying widely to many schools). As an alternative to not applying at all, I keep thinking and people keep asking "why shouldn't I submit an app to my first choice at least?" and I'm not sure how to answer...so SDN folks: what do you think?

Here's some background:
2004 B.S. Economics
04-06; 07-09: work in econ research dept at well-known institution
-involved in many research projects/papers but not a coauthor
06-07: studied Spanish in Barcelona
05-09: 2-3 pre-reqs/semester while working

some ECs during undergrad:
volunteered with computer nonprofit (1 year ~4hrs/wk)
student consulting group (1 year, incl as project leader ~15hrs/wk)
student advocate office (2 years, incl treasuer position ~6 hrs/wk)
studied/interned/danced abroad (1 year)
-dance company
-intern with commerce department
-waitressed
dance groups

ECs post-bacc:
ED volunteer (~100hrs; 2-3 hrs/week)
elderly home volunteer (~30hrs; 4 hrs/month)
other volunteer (~15hrs total)
dance (competition/social/practice: 1-2 weekends/month; 1-2 nights/wk)
some shadowing/talking with doctors

cgpa:~3.9 ;sgpa(most post-graduation):4.0
MCAT: 39R (14ps,11vr,14bs)

I'm limited in recent science-related research/volunteer experience because of the work and class combo. With the MCAT done and pre-reqs to be done in Dec, that's what I clearly need to focus on with the extra time and I will probably ask some related questions later.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

If it weren't so late in the app cycle, I'd say you'd have a great chance of getting in anywhere, and certainly would be competitive at UCSF.

Is there a reason to not call UCSF's admission's office, tell them your story, and ask if it is too late for your application to be given serious consideration?

people keep asking "why shouldn't I submit an app to my first choice at least?" and I'm not sure how to answer...so SDN folks: what do you think?
Yes, it's late but you have a strong application that will get attention. I'd go for it. At worst they'll say no. If you submit now, it might take more than a month to get your transcripts verified, but as long as you've listed UCSF on the Primary, the school will still consider you even if verification occurs after the school's deadline. You'll have to get all your LORs organized fast. I hope you've got your PS written. I agree that calling first is a great idea to be sure you're not throwing money away.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If it weren't so late in the app cycle, I'd say you'd have a great chance of getting in anywhere, and certainly would be competitive at UCSF.

Is there a reason to not call UCSF's admission's office, tell them your story, and ask if it is too late for your application to be given serious consideration?

I like this idea, give them a heads up.

They would be lucky to have you, you are a strong candidate. However, as you know, the odds of getting in to one particular school are super low and this late in the cycle it gets even worse.

If you want to put the work in, though, go for it.

The suggestion to call them was a good one, although the answer they gave me wasn't exactly black or white. They said the issue wouldn't be whether they'd review my application (they would) but that they might not have interview spots available by the time they consider offering me an interview (assuming I'm even asked to complete a secondary). I thought that might be useful for other people to know as well.

If I end up reapplying, she said that it shouldn't be held against me but that they would probably expect something to change between applications. Because I'm not going to be sitting on a couch for the next eight months, I'm not worried about that. I guess that means I should give it a shot. The worst case scenario is I have an additional year to better prepare myself, right?

Thanks again for your suggestions!

The suggestion to call them was a good one, although the answer they gave me wasn't exactly black or white. They said the issue wouldn't be whether they'd review my application (they would) but that they might not have interview spots available by the time they consider offering me an interview (assuming I'm even asked to complete a secondary). I thought that might be useful for other people to know as well.

If I end up reapplying, she said that it shouldn't be held against me but that they would probably expect something to change between applications. Because I'm not going to be sitting on a couch for the next eight months, I'm not worried about that. I guess that means I should give it a shot. The worst case scenario is I have an additional year to better prepare myself, right?

Way to be positive. Good Luck! :luck:

Makes me love my med school even more!! They are so nice!! :love: