Nontraditional considering next move

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been reading posts on SDN for a while now and decided to make a post pertaining to my situation. I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong thread.

I am a non-traditional student in my early 20s. I was previously on the career path to becoming a police officer, where I've had 4+ years of volunteer experience, including two of those in leadership roles. I love the capacity to help others but through current classes and collaborating with EMS during this volunteering, I have realized I would much rather pursue this in a medical setting.

My current employer has a tuition payment plan where they cover full tuition for a bachelor's degree from a well respected and accredited institution. The catch is that it is online and I am in a different state. I started the program due to the financial benefits. My transcript itself will not have a distinction from someone completing the same program on campus. I was not anticipating a change when I first started my bachelor's degree with this program but have about a year left and thought it would be wise to complete it since I am this far along.

To offset this, I am taking my pre-reqs through my local brick-and-mortar university simultaneously. Will my initial schooling be an issue? I have called a few medical schools I would be interested in attending and they recommended getting an MPH in addition. From other forums, I've read getting an MPH is a bit of a wash. I would be curious if this would be relevant considering my background. A benefit I see is having the time to continue to build volunteer hours and research experience to help build my application.

My current sGPA is a 4.0 and my cGPA is a 3.7 with an upward trend. The only negative mark I have on my transcripts are Ws from an EMT program I stopped mid-semester two years ago. I had to withdrawal due to an unexpected medical emergency that arose. I have since completely recovered and plan on going back to re-do the program in the spring to show my commitment to finishing what I started and help build up clinical volunteering experience. Will this hurt my future application?

I know it will take some time to build up clinical, shadowing and research experience. I just want to plan these next few years out strategically to build a strong application. Any advice or critiques on navigating this journey as a non-trad student would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Additionally, I have not yet taken the MCAT. I wanted to finish my pre-reqs first so the material was fresh. I am thinking of taking it in a year so that if I do go the MPH route my scores will still be current.

Last edited:
I love the capacity to help others

Don't think that's what medicine is. A successful doctor is 90% a successful test-taker which is demonstrated by various test scores. Patients are not a part of that equation.

If you want medicine, get a degree...doesn't matter what it is but makes sure it's something you like and get a 3.75 or better in it. Take the pre-req's as well and also get a 3.75 or better; ideally higher than that. Take the MCAT, score based on what the school's you want to apply to consider the average, sprinkle some EC activities for flavor, and then apply. If you can't meet those requirements, don't go into medicine as you won't stand a chance.

People here will sugar coat the process for you. You don't want that.

Skip the MPH...waste of time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your honestly about the situation and for clarification on the MPH, I appreciate the feedback.

I understand what you meant about the test taking as well and that direct patient contact is a very small part of the overall picture.

Don't think that's what medicine is. A successful doctor is 90% a successful test-taker which is demonstrated by various test scores. Patients are not a part of that equation.

If you want medicine, get a degree...doesn't matter what it is but makes sure it's something you like and get a 3.75 or better in it. Take the pre-req's as well and also get a 3.75 or better; ideally higher than that. Take the MCAT, score based on what the school's you want to apply to consider the average, sprinkle some EC activities for flavor, and then apply. If you can't meet those requirements, don't go into medicine as you won't stand a chance.

People here will sugar coat the process for you. You don't want that.

Skip the MPH...waste of time and money.

Thank you for your honestly about the situation and for clarification on the MPH, I appreciate the feedback.

I understand what you meant about the test taking as well and that direct patient contact is a very small part of the overall picture.

You can be realistic about medicine as just a job, but it's still all about the patients. MPH is a waste unless that's what you want to do. Online courses may not be acceptable at some med schools, so better check on that. Your GPA is great and a lot of people would love to start off as high as you! Do the normal pre-med stuff you hear on the forums, maybe pick a few clinical/non-clinical jobs you like, kill the MCAT, get good letters of recommendations, and enjoy flying around for interviews!

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the MPH being a waste of time and money (unless for self satisfaction) then you do you. Also make sure to do some serious shadowing as often the medical field is viewed as sunshine and rainbows of helping your fellow man but comes with a lot of "baggage."

Thank you all for your feedback. I like the idea of getting an MPH for working with public policy in a similar way I was able to with law enforcement but I know realistically my exposure to different areas in the field along the way will change the direction I take. However, from taking a few years between high school and undergrad due to life circumstances I really do not to delay my application process any longer than I have to.

I understand that the medical field is not going to be a positive place all of the time. I think having a job where I can see the impact that I make compared to being the first person to respond to a situation like in law enforcement will be much better fit for what I want out of a career.