Nontraditional & getting old. Seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abw07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feeling unsure what to do now.

Just got my MCAT scores back from my test on 6/27 & got 508 (126/127/127/128). I was expecting around 512 based on an upward trend in my FLs ending in 514 for FL4. I didn’t have actual scores because I was practicing with COVID testing conditions including timing and shortening the AAMC FLs, but a score calculator gave me some approximate scores.

I know 508 is a decent score, but my UG GPA was poor (< 3.0) and this was mostly due to poor performance in science courses (largely due to life circumstances which are explainable in the app, but they severely impacted my ability to perform in my sci classes). Since graduating, I got a 3.7 in a grad program which wasn’t super heavy in science, except that it was research focused. Pursued this program on the advice that since I had passing grades in my UG science courses, it would be best to do something different and new to enhance my application. Thus, I was really depending on a great MCAT score to make a case for me as an applicant.

I’m probably gonna retake the exam but the question that has been on my mind since Jan is should I do a post-bac? Either formal or DIY? Even if I get a great score on a retake, how much is UG gonna hold me back? I was going to apply this cycle - my AMCAS is in the process of being verified and my AACOMAS was just verified today. I only submitted to one school for each so far. Feeling also like it’s too late to apply this cycle at this point if I were to retake the MCAT and get a great score.

Grateful for any feedback/advice/pep talks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone will probably ask, did you have any sort of grade trend from freshmen to senior year? What were you prereq grades?

Reactions: 1 user
uGPA + MCAT score will hold you back. You'll need to get that uGPA up at least and prove that you can handle some rigorous science classes. I wouldn't bother retaking the MCAT yet, but prep for the retake by retaking some of those science classes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a case in which an SMP would be a good path to consider.

Someone will probably ask, did you have any sort of grade trend from freshmen to senior year? What were you prereq grades?
So, I actually started off great with with As and Bs in my early math, chem, bio classes. Around the second semester of my 2nd year, a family member I am very close to began to have some really devastating chronic health issues, which severely impacted my focus and presence in school. Needless to say, this affected my grades - I got a bunch of Cs in upper level Bio & Organic Chem courses. I even had to retake Physics II to obtain a C. I failed a microbio course and retook it. My last semester I got myself some Bs in neurobio and cell signaling while working. So definitely an explainable trend, just not the beautiful upward trend schools love to see. My advisor is suggesting that I still apply because my grad GPA was so strong, and I graduated from college about 4 years ago at this point.

This is a case in which an SMP would be a good path to consider.
So, I have done a Masters program already (albeit not totally biomedicine-focused). Why do you suggest an SMP? If I am to take more classes, I would think the best option would be DIY post-bacc classes at a UG institution.

uGPA + MCAT score will hold you back. You'll need to get that uGPA up at least and prove that you can handle some rigorous science classes. I wouldn't bother retaking the MCAT yet, but prep for the retake by retaking some of those science classes.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I am enrolled in a Masters-level biomedicine course for this fall at the same hospital (with attached graduate/medical school) where I work. This is mostly to prove that I can handle a course like this, but since it's a graduate course it won't do anything for my UG GPA.

I think DIY postbac to get uGPA up above a 3.0 so you dont get autoscreened. Retake the mcat if it has expired by the time you’re ready. For DO you should be ok. For MD you’re going to need to take some additional steps.

A DIY post bacc is fine. You need to take enough undergraduate level science courses at a local college to raise both your sGPA and cGPA to 3.0 . Then you could receive interviews at some DO schools with your MCAT of 508.

I know you’re eager and feel like you’re putting your life on hold, but take the time you need to build a good app. I’m much older than you and I rushed the process, and I regret it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you’re eager and feel like you’re putting your life on hold, but take the time you need to build a good app. I’m much older than you and I rushed the process, and I regret it now.
You're in medical school! What did you rush/what did you regret if you don't mind me asking?

You're in medical school! What did you rush/what did you regret if you don't mind me asking?

Being in medical school doesn't mean that I did everything right or I can't have regrets along the way. If anything, it puts me in the unique position to look back at what I did wrong and offer advice to those coming after me.

I rushed through my undergrad because I felt like I was getting so old with each year, so I took as many hours as my school would allow, while having a large busy family and working part time. It hurt my GPA, and I rushed my MCAT prep (twice!) while I had that grueling workload, which hurt my MCAT score. Neither of these proved to be lethal to my app because I got in on my first cycle, but my stats caused unnecessary stress that a stronger app would have helped alleviate. Also, due to me pushing such a hard schedule for so many years straight, I actually went into medical school already burned out, which was a terrible thing my first semester. Don't be me...take the time you need to do it right.

Being in medical school doesn't mean that I did everything right or I can't have regrets along the way. If anything, it puts me in the unique position to look back at what I did wrong and offer advice to those coming after me.

I rushed through my undergrad because I felt like I was getting so old with each year, so I took as many hours as my school would allow, while having a large busy family and working part time. It hurt my GPA, and I rushed my MCAT prep (twice!) while I had that grueling workload, which hurt my MCAT score. Neither of these proved to be lethal to my app because I got in on my first cycle, but my stats caused unnecessary stress that a stronger app would have helped alleviate. Also, due to me pushing such a hard schedule for so many years straight, I actually went into medical school already burned out, which was a terrible thing my first semester. Don't be me...take the time you need to do it right.
Totally didn't mean to invalidate that experience, was more just saying congrats that you got in. Thanks for sharing, I'm in a similar position with my stats and having to make these sort of decisions now so I appreciate the advice.

Totally didn't mean to invalidate that experience, was more just saying congrats that you got in. Thanks for sharing, I'm in a similar position with my stats and having to make these sort of decisions now so I appreciate the advice.
No worries, I didn’t read it as an invalidation, but I know many students feel like if someone got in they must have done everything right. I felt that way, and I think that contributes to imposter syndrome as well. If you had to be the “perfect” candidate to get in, I must have slid in while no one was looking. The truth is that matriculated medical students can range anywhere from “how on earth did you get in here?” to so stellar you don’t feel worthy to breathe the same auditorium air as them, with a lot of adequate in between.

• Love
So, I actually started off great with with As and Bs in my early math, chem, bio classes. Around the second semester of my 2nd year, a family member I am very close to began to have some really devastating chronic health issues, which severely impacted my focus and presence in school.

Apparently grad school doesn't "count" when looking at GPA. That's why people are suggesting DIY or formal SMP to remedy your poor undergrad performance.

Sorry to be blunt but you need to stop making excuses for yourself and start succeeding. Med student and doctors will all face adversity at some point (divorce, sick children, whatever) and you aren't allowed to let it affect your performance. If i was interviewing someone who used that excuse about poor undergrad grades I would not rate them highly.

OP, it's eerie how similar your situation is to what I've gone through. I hope by sharing my situation with you, and my advice, that you will make the changes you need to make and get into medical school. This will be a long post, but I hope it provides you and future SDN readers some insight and advice on how to approach situations similar to yours and mine.

Although my uGPA wasn't as low as yours, my initial MCAT was a 28 in 2014 (~508 now). At the time, that was the average MCAT for matriculated students at the schools where I was applying. I applied the summer after graduating college and worked for a year (although to be fair, even at this point, I shouldn't have been applying. I thought I could explain the issues that impacted my grades in college and that someone out there would empathize...more on that later). Silence from medical schools. I got a much more prestigious job working in clinical research at the med school in my hometown, rewrote my secondaries, and re-applied. I thought to myself that surely my stacked resume and comparable MCAT would get me in (I had 1000+ community service hours, 500+ hours of research, several awards and leadership positions, was briefly a varsity athlete, etc.). By comparison, I blew a lot of the competition out of the water when it came to everything non-academic. But the fact remained that my GPA was sub-par and my MCAT was just on-par. As you might imagine, I received another round of no interviews.

Heartbreaking. Why didn't these schools care that my parent had attempted suicide, the impact it had on me, the depression I went through in college, especially after how eloquently and thoroughly I explained it in my essays? Time marched on...

I knew that my GPA was an issue, and I wanted to show schools that the issues outside the classroom that plagued my Junior and Senior year no longer held me back. During that Fall, I took a Phys course at the CC. That Spring, I applied for and enrolled in an online Graduate Certificate program in Anatomy & Physiology through a USMD school and completed half of the program. I aced the courses, had been studying to retake the MCAT and retook it and earned a better score. Having completed 15 hours of post-bacc credit aced, a better MCAT, I decided to apply again. If you're sensing a theme here, you're probably able to guess what happened.

I didn't get it. Why the hell was I not getting interviews?! That Spring, I had the chance to speak with an assistant admissions dean at one of my state schools, and she told me she loved my application, that my personal statement was the best she had recalled ever reading, loved my experiences, my MCAT (which was better than most of their students), and all of that. Here's where the catharsis began: she told me that her staff (and likely the staff at other schools) needed proof that my unique, harsh circumstances were no longer holding me back academically, and that those circumstances would not persist into medical school, and to bring my proof of academic competence full-circle. She commended me for acing my DIY post-bacc work and doing well on the MCAT while holding down a full-time job at the hospital, but that there just wasn't enough of a pattern for whomever reviewed my file to feel like they should interview me, despite my incredible extracurriculars.

That same Spring and following Summer, I concluded the rest of my graduate certificate program and took 2 more community college courses, bringing my post-bacc credit count to 28 hours of all As. I re-applied, re-wrote my primary and secondary essays, and hoped that between these efforts, my new publications from managing major clinical research projects from my then 2 years of working at an academic medical center would be enough.

That October, I received my first invitation to interview at a ~top 30 MD school OOS. I was overjoyed. Elated. FINALLY someone out there was acknowledging how much work I had been putting in. Out of 10,000 applicants this school received, I was one of 400 they chose to interview. I flew out to the school the day before, stayed with a current student, had such a great feeling from everything, the pre-interview social event the night before, the people I met, the conversations I had, everything. I went into that interview humble but confident, calm but focused, professional and tactful, and felt I did well in all of the activities and interviews throughout the day.

Seven weeks later I was hit with a rejection email from the place I thought I would be spending my next 4 years.

Hello darkness my old friend...

I wrapped up the graduate-level Tumor Biology course I was taking through my alma mater (we get 1 free course per semester as an employee), took some time to reflect. [don't worry, this post is coming to a close shortly].

I now had 30+ hours of upper-level and graduate post-bacc coursework aced, a better MCAT than most applicants who gain an acceptance, 10,000+ hours of research and clinical experiences, presentations at 3 international conferences, multiple publications, etc. I reflected, took a staunchly different twist on some of my primary and secondary essays, and put together what I thought was the best possible app (short of me quitting my well-paying job and enrolling in a SMP). This cycle, I was invited to interview at two more schools (both of them being in-state, which was cool for me personally as a TX resident), and finally gained an acceptance to the place I will gladly, lovingly, and proudly call home and be trained to become a doctor. :) I am 28 years old.

Things I wish I had done differently:
  • Enroll in a SMP. Yes, they cost money, and yes, I would've put myself into more debt just to do one, but it would've been minute compared to the time I had lost through 4 years of applying. As I'm sure you're starting to sense, our most valuable asset is time, not money. But clearly the one thing holding me back was my GPA. I loved working at my job, and it pays really well. I got to enjoy my mid-20s living a lifestyle that was lavish compared to what I grew up with, and what I had in college. So there aren't that many regrets there, however I wish I had gotten to start medical school at say, 25, or 26, and I had a good enough application to get accepted to probably any SMP I applied for. OP, a DIY post-bacc will cost money, so go ahead and just do a SMP if you want to get in sooner rather than later.
  • Not applied the first two cycles that I did. The first time around, I was still dealing with depression. The second cycle, I was happy in life, but I hadn't brought my academic competence full-circle. It would have served me a lot better to wait until I had done more academically after college.
  • Applied more broadly to DO schools. I applied to one after my third cycle, but I should've applied more broadly.
Additional, specific advice to you:
  • Since you already completed a Master's, you might not need to do a SMP. When you say it wasn't super science heavy, what do you mean? What field is your degree in, and how many of your courses constitute as science? A MPH or MSW will likely not help your standing at all, no offense.
  • You will not gain acceptance to a USMD school with your GPA what it is currently (and I am assuming your sGPA is similar). How many of your Masters hours were BPCM? There are some USMD schools that will only consider your most recent X-credit hours of BPCM when reviewing your application (LSU comes to mind, which you can read more about here). LSU requires 32 hours of recent BPCM courses, and they'll scrap the rest of your transcript. I think Drexel and Tulane have similar policies. If you did say, 9-12 hours of BPCM courses and got As, you could DIY the remainder, and so long as you ace them, apply to schools with such policies as LSU.
  • Apply broadly to DO schools. Drop any previous misconceptions you have about DO degrees. Any stigma about it being a lesser degree mostly comes from pre-meds that haven't even stepped foot into a medical school and are basing their useless opinions on antiquated evidence from historical bias 30+ years old, who exude that ignorance into the echo chamber of ego and narcissism that is SDN.
  • Your MCAT of 508 is not holding you back. See my entire story, along with the bullet above as evidence. Re-take it if you want, but you need to remake your GPA. @Goro has some great guides posted on how to re-invent yourself (jacked up the font size so Goro isn't wondering why the hell I tagged them in a wall of text xD )
  • As an admissions dean told me, as aforementioned, adcoms will take into consideration hardships you go through, but if they impact you academically, you need to display and prove that those hardships no longer impede you from excelling in medical school. Yes they want good people who will become empathetic, good doctors, but they need you to succeed through the rigors of the curriculum first.
  • Do not consider going abroad, as I briefly contemplated.
  • 26 is not old.
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps you, along with anyone else seeking help. I'm happy to talk more and offer any other advice that I can.

Best of luck, OP :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
@pdl2015 thank you for sharing your incredible journey. It’s valuable for future applicants to have a reference point for the value of persistence despite numerous setbacks and disappointments.

OP, it's eerie how similar your situation is to what I've gone through. I hope by sharing my situation with you, and my advice, that you will make the changes you need to make and get into medical school. This will be a long post, but I hope it provides you and future SDN readers some insight and advice on how to approach situations similar to yours and mine.

Although my uGPA wasn't as low as yours, my initial MCAT was a 28 in 2014 (~508 now). At the time, that was the average MCAT for matriculated students at the schools where I was applying. I applied the summer after graduating college and worked for a year (although to be fair, even at this point, I shouldn't have been applying. I thought I could explain the issues that impacted my grades in college and that someone out there would empathize...more on that later). Silence from medical schools. I got a much more prestigious job working in clinical research at the med school in my hometown, rewrote my secondaries, and re-applied. I thought to myself that surely my stacked resume and comparable MCAT would get me in (I had 1000+ community service hours, 500+ hours of research, several awards and leadership positions, was briefly a varsity athlete, etc.). By comparison, I blew a lot of the competition out of the water when it came to everything non-academic. But the fact remained that my GPA was sub-par and my MCAT was just on-par. As you might imagine, I received another round of no interviews.

Heartbreaking. Why didn't these schools care that my parent had attempted suicide, the impact it had on me, the depression I went through in college, especially after how eloquently and thoroughly I explained it in my essays? Time marched on...

I knew that my GPA was an issue, and I wanted to show schools that the issues outside the classroom that plagued my Junior and Senior year no longer held me back. During that Fall, I took a Phys course at the CC. That Spring, I applied for and enrolled in an online Graduate Certificate program in Anatomy & Physiology through a USMD school and completed half of the program. I aced the courses, had been studying to retake the MCAT and retook it and earned a better score. Having completed 15 hours of post-bacc credit aced, a better MCAT, I decided to apply again. If you're sensing a theme here, you're probably able to guess what happened.

I didn't get it. Why the hell was I not getting interviews?! That Spring, I had the chance to speak with an assistant admissions dean at one of my state schools, and she told me she loved my application, that my personal statement was the best she had recalled ever reading, loved my experiences, my MCAT (which was better than most of their students), and all of that. Here's where the catharsis began: she told me that her staff (and likely the staff at other schools) needed proof that my unique, harsh circumstances were no longer holding me back academically, and that those circumstances would not persist into medical school, and to bring my proof of academic competence full-circle. She commended me for acing my DIY post-bacc work and doing well on the MCAT while holding down a full-time job at the hospital, but that there just wasn't enough of a pattern for whomever reviewed my file to feel like they should interview me, despite my incredible extracurriculars.

That same Spring and following Summer, I concluded the rest of my graduate certificate program and took 2 more community college courses, bringing my post-bacc credit count to 28 hours of all As. I re-applied, re-wrote my primary and secondary essays, and hoped that between these efforts, my new publications from managing major clinical research projects from my then 2 years of working at an academic medical center would be enough.

That October, I received my first invitation to interview at a ~top 30 MD school OOS. I was overjoyed. Elated. FINALLY someone out there was acknowledging how much work I had been putting in. Out of 10,000 applicants this school received, I was one of 400 they chose to interview. I flew out to the school the day before, stayed with a current student, had such a great feeling from everything, the pre-interview social event the night before, the people I met, the conversations I had, everything. I went into that interview humble but confident, calm but focused, professional and tactful, and felt I did well in all of the activities and interviews throughout the day.

Seven weeks later I was hit with a rejection email from the place I thought I would be spending my next 4 years.

Hello darkness my old friend...

I wrapped up the graduate-level Tumor Biology course I was taking through my alma mater (we get 1 free course per semester as an employee), took some time to reflect. [don't worry, this post is coming to a close shortly].

I now had 30+ hours of upper-level and graduate post-bacc coursework aced, a better MCAT than most applicants who gain an acceptance, 10,000+ hours of research and clinical experiences, presentations at 3 international conferences, multiple publications, etc. I reflected, took a staunchly different twist on some of my primary and secondary essays, and put together what I thought was the best possible app (short of me quitting my well-paying job and enrolling in a SMP). This cycle, I was invited to interview at two more schools (both of them being in-state, which was cool for me personally as a TX resident), and finally gained an acceptance to the place I will gladly, lovingly, and proudly call home and be trained to become a doctor. :) I am 28 years old.

Things I wish I had done differently:
  • Enroll in a SMP. Yes, they cost money, and yes, I would've put myself into more debt just to do one, but it would've been minute compared to the time I had lost through 4 years of applying. As I'm sure you're starting to sense, our most valuable asset is time, not money. But clearly the one thing holding me back was my GPA. I loved working at my job, and it pays really well. I got to enjoy my mid-20s living a lifestyle that was lavish compared to what I grew up with, and what I had in college. So there aren't that many regrets there, however I wish I had gotten to start medical school at say, 25, or 26, and I had a good enough application to get accepted to probably any SMP I applied for. OP, a DIY post-bacc will cost money, so go ahead and just do a SMP if you want to get in sooner rather than later.
  • Not applied the first two cycles that I did. The first time around, I was still dealing with depression. The second cycle, I was happy in life, but I hadn't brought my academic competence full-circle. It would have served me a lot better to wait until I had done more academically after college.
  • Applied more broadly to DO schools. I applied to one after my third cycle, but I should've applied more broadly.
Additional, specific advice to you:
  • Since you already completed a Master's, you might not need to do a SMP. When you say it wasn't super science heavy, what do you mean? What field is your degree in, and how many of your courses constitute as science? A MPH or MSW will likely not help your standing at all, no offense.
  • You will not gain acceptance to a USMD school with your GPA what it is currently (and I am assuming your sGPA is similar). How many of your Masters hours were BPCM? There are some USMD schools that will only consider your most recent X-credit hours of BPCM when reviewing your application (LSU comes to mind, which you can read more about here). LSU requires 32 hours of recent BPCM courses, and they'll scrap the rest of your transcript. I think Drexel and Tulane have similar policies. If you did say, 9-12 hours of BPCM courses and got As, you could DIY the remainder, and so long as you ace them, apply to schools with such policies as LSU.
  • Apply broadly to DO schools. Drop any previous misconceptions you have about DO degrees. Any stigma about it being a lesser degree mostly comes from pre-meds that haven't even stepped foot into a medical school and are basing their useless opinions on antiquated evidence from historical bias 30+ years old, who exude that ignorance into the echo chamber of ego and narcissism that is SDN.
  • Your MCAT of 508 is not holding you back. See my entire story, along with the bullet above as evidence. Re-take it if you want, but you need to remake your GPA. @Goro has some great guides posted on how to re-invent yourself (jacked up the font size so Goro isn't wondering why the hell I tagged them in a wall of text xD )
  • As an admissions dean told me, as aforementioned, adcoms will take into consideration hardships you go through, but if they impact you academically, you need to display and prove that those hardships no longer impede you from excelling in medical school. Yes they want good people who will become empathetic, good doctors, but they need you to succeed through the rigors of the curriculum first.
  • Do not consider going abroad, as I briefly contemplated.
  • 26 is not old.
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps you, along with anyone else seeking help. I'm happy to talk more and offer any other advice that I can.

Thank you so much for the long and detailed post about your journey and yes, it absolutely has inspired hope. Permission to DM you? Our narratives have even more in common than you think.

Last edited:
Apparently grad school doesn't "count" when looking at GPA. That's why people are suggesting DIY or formal SMP to remedy your poor undergrad performance.

Sorry to be blunt but you need to stop making excuses for yourself and start succeeding. Med student and doctors will all face adversity at some point (divorce, sick children, whatever) and you aren't allowed to let it affect your performance. If i was interviewing someone who used that excuse about poor undergrad grades I would not rate them highly.
I appreciate the bluntness but I definitely am not trying to excuse my poor UG performance (I pursued a Master’s and studied like crazy for my MCAT), I was just explaining my trend to the person who had asked. However, I know that without anything else to back up the claim that those trends during UG do not represent me, the message will not come across. The only reason I had not yet pursued a DIY post-bacc is because a few faculty and my UG school’s premed advisor have been saying the grad studies will demonstrate this. I have been skeptical and incredibly uncomfortable applying this cycle, feeling as though the Masters is not enough, so this last week I have been applying to post-bacc programs (and enrolled as a non-matric in a university as a backup in case I must resort to DIY since it’s last minute to apply to programs at this point.)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the long and detailed post about your journey and yes, it absolutely has inspired hope. Permission to DM you? Our narratives have even more in common than you think.
Yeah, sure thing!

• 26 is not old.

Amazing story. A lot of wisdom jam-packed into this post.

Do you mind briefly looking at my situation right now? I also have a low GPA and am 27 years old. Am thinking of embarking on a DIY post-bac and am wondering what your take will be. I empathize deeply with your heartbreak and frustration with the admissions process...

Nothing wrong with being well-aged! Honestly I'm glad for the time I took to develop a career. Sometimes I wish I hadn't dinked around so long (like when studying for the MCAT and it had been a million years since I took physics :eek:), but I'm also glad I had the time to start saving, travel, and pick up some new hobbies. The docs I shadowed were also non-trads, and left careers in finance and law to go into medicine. On the other side of things, I know some pretty burned out docs who went straight through from UG. I can't imagine *not* taking time "off" in between to make sure it's what you want to do!

Last edited:
Amazing story. A lot of wisdom jam-packed into this post.

Do you mind briefly looking at my situation right now? I also have a low GPA and am 27 years old. Am thinking of embarking on a DIY post-bac and am wondering what your take will be. I empathize deeply with your heartbreak and frustration with the admissions process...

Done!

I'm old too (older than you by a few years ;)). Nothing wrong with being well-aged! Honestly I'm glad for the time I took to develop a career. Sometimes I wish I hadn't dinked around so long (like when studying for the MCAT and it had been like 10 years since I took physics :eek:), but I'm also glad I had the time to start saving for retirement, pay off my UG loans, travel, and pick up some new hobbies. The docs I shadowed were also non-trads, and left careers in finance and law to go into medicine. On the other side of things, I know some pretty burned out docs who went straight through from UG. I can't imagine *not* taking time "off" in between to make sure it's what you want to do!
That’s a great perspective :happy: Very refreshing. I do appreciate the time I have taken and the things I have done in the time since undergrad. Maybe I need to appreciate 22- 26 year old me a little more. I definitely was not ready to go to med school right after college.

I’m planning to do this! Thank you

No worries, I didn’t read it as an invalidation, but I know many students feel like if someone got in they must have done everything right. I felt that way, and I think that contributes to imposter syndrome as well. If you had to be the “perfect” candidate to get in, I must have slid in while no one was looking. The truth is that matriculated medical students can range anywhere from “how on earth did you get in here?” to so stellar you don’t feel worthy to breathe the same auditorium air as them, with a lot of adequate in between.
This is how I was feeling as I was applying this cycle, with my application as it is - like I’m hoping someone will look the other way, or let me slip by. It’s a very unsettling feeling. At the end of the day I want to be able to look in the eyes of an adcom and be like my appliation SHOWS that I deserve to be in this school. After some desperate applying to whatever post-baccs and SMPs are left with late deadlines, I am going this route, and taking my time like you’re suggesting. Heard back from 1 post bacc and waiting to hear from the others. Thanks Dr. Mom :)