Nontraditional: need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad081287

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster. I was a neuroscience and creative writing major from a good school, did the Americorps Teaching Fellowship for two years after graduating and taught biology in the Bronx. For my gap year I'm working for a biomedical start-up that does research on migraine and asthma, I have a good deal of clinical and research experience, diverse LORs (from a former student, advisor, professors, etc). Undergrad GPA: 3.67, Masters (Science Ed) GPA: 3.9

I took the MCAT and am disappointed with my score (29R) mainly bcd I had been averaging in the mid 30's on AAMC and Kaplan practice tests and had a terrible test taking experience. My headphones were broken and I got completely distracted by the student violently attacking the keyboard next to me during the Verbal Section. I'm not kidding, it was like bombs exploding. (I got a 9 and English is my best subject!!) I want to retake the exam, but I also have one more pre-req to complete, Physics II and I am signed up to take the class this summer. I work full-time, so I'm wondering whether I should cram for the next month and take the MCAT again in end of June/beginning of July or take the Physics class over the summer and retake MCAT in August. On the one hand, I'm worried that by delaying the class admissions committees will see that I'm missing a class and question how "serious" of an applicant I am. But then on the other, I want to take the MCAT again as soon as possible. Will it hurt my app to not have the pre-reqs completed when I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake the MCAT if you feel strongly you can improve.

I wouldn't worry about the pre-req thing too much. Its 1 class right? If you think about it, most pre-med trade apply at the end of their junior year, meaning there could potentially be a number of pre-reqs that aren't finished yet. With you having a good GPA as it is and having only 1 class left, I think you'd be ok. if you were sitting at a GPA in the low 3s, then that may be a different story.

I agree with ShoTyme about MCATs, but ONLY do it if you think you can do better. I have a dear friend that took a second time and now thinks they may have done WORSE the second time. With so many things to worry about when trying to get into med school, why give yourself something else to worry about?

Best of luck to you. You are going to be fine!

Onwards!