Nontraditional Pre-PT, currently completing pre-reqs, should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortysmorty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a 26 year old nontraditional trying to apply to PT school. I graduated with my BS in Industrial Design in 2017 and spent the last few years soul searching. I had only started exploring PT and shadowing in March (totaled 8 hours before COVID shut everything down.) Laid off from the pandemic, I started taking classes because I was fairly sure this is what I want to do. I was missing all the sciences because my degree didn't require them, but thankfully have 1 Psych, 2 English credits, and plenty of Math. I've now secured a job as a part time PT tech to get more hours. I've completed Statistics and Bio 1 over the summer. I'm currently in Chem 1, Physics 1, Anatomy & Physiology 1, Chem 2 (Fall Term 2), and Upper Level Psych. For the spring, I have Microbiology, Physics 2, and A&P2 planned. I did already submit applications for two instate schools whose deadlines were October 1, but knowing so many of my courses are in progress/planned, do I actually have any chance? I might apply for some more programs with later deadlines this cycle for Fall 2021 starts once my Fall grades post.

My cGPA was 3.84 from undergrad and I have a 4.0 so far in my sciences that I'm in and have completed.
GRE: 153V / 160 Q / 5.0 AWA

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I'm a 26 year old nontraditional trying to apply to PT school. I graduated with my BS in Industrial Design in 2017 and spent the last few years soul searching. I had only started exploring PT and shadowing in March (totaled 8 hours before COVID shut everything down.) Laid off from the pandemic, I started taking classes because I was fairly sure this is what I want to do. I was missing all the sciences because my degree didn't require them, but thankfully have 1 Psych, 2 English credits, and plenty of Math. I've now secured a job as a part time PT tech to get more hours. I've completed Statistics and Bio 1 over the summer. I'm currently in Chem 1, Physics 1, Anatomy & Physiology 1, Chem 2 (Fall Term 2), and Upper Level Psych. For the spring, I have Microbiology, Physics 2, and A&P2 planned. I did already submit applications for two instate schools whose deadlines were October 1, but knowing so many of my courses are in progress/planned, do I actually have any chance? I might apply for some more programs with later deadlines this cycle for Fall 2021 starts once my Fall grades post.

My cGPA was 3.84 from undergrad and I have a 4.0 so far in my sciences that I'm in and have completed.

Thanks!

I would recommend contacting the schools you will be applying to directly and see how many classes are allowed to be pending for their program. If I were in your shoes, I would also plan on re-apply next year. This way you can add more experience and have classes complete for an even stronger application! Your stats are great and I believe more experience and completed courses will make you an even more competitive applicant :) Regardless, you would never know if don't try this year. Best of luck!

Hi all,

Thanks!
Yeah, many schools will not allow that many classes to be in progress or planned. I agree with the person above, that you should reach out to the schools directly to find out.
If we push aside the number of classes you have in progress, your stats look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reassurance guys! I hadn't planned on applying this year until my boss told me to give it a shot anyways. The two schools I've applied to don't have restrictions on how many classes you must have completed at time of application, though the admissions lady at one school did say the most competitive applicants are done with their courses at time of application. But who knows, with COVID throwing so many things out of wack this year, I can't decide if I have a higher or lower chance than normal. I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Hi all,

Thanks!
I was also a second career PT student and applied at about the same point you're at with pre-reqs (but I was working as a PT Aide and had hundreds of hours + observation in a hospital). I had similarly high stats, and was accepted everywhere! Schooling aside, I would just make sure that since you don't have a lot of PT experience, you know for your own sake that PT is right for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also a second career PT student and applied at about the same point you're at with pre-reqs (but I was working as a PT Aide and had hundreds of hours + observation in a hospital). I had similarly high stats, and was accepted everywhere! Schooling aside, I would just make sure that since you don't have a lot of PT experience, you know for your own sake that PT is right for you.
Thank you! That's really inspiring. Yes, I'm still doing my best to shadow in as many settings as I can and I've called and interviewed over 8 or so PTs to ask them about their careers and experiences. Of course, it's not ideal compared to being able to shadow in acute care or a hospital setting, but I'm doing my best. Do you mind me asking where you applied and got accepted to? Congratulations! It's really awesome to hear that it's possible.

Second career helps not hurts, and an industrial design background is awesome- highlight that in your app! You will be very competitive. Each school varies depending on how many prereq credits you can have in progress when you apply, so check on that. If you meet the criteria, you can apply.

Second career helps not hurts, and an industrial design background is awesome- highlight that in your app! You will be very competitive. Each school varies depending on how many prereq credits you can have in progress when you apply, so check on that. If you meet the criteria, you can apply.

Hi thanks! Yes, I've looked at my eligibility for my instate schools and only applied to the ones that don't have a progress restriction at time of application. When I talked to the admissions counselor at one school, she said that though there's not a requirement, it's typical of the most competitive applicants to be complete with their prereqs at time of application. So even though I'm eligible, I didn't know, realistically, if I had a shot against so many other competitive applicants.

I think you have a shot. You have a good record going in. When I've been on ad com's, it is more of an issue if a student has a "meh" GPA from what they have completed, then I really want to know how they are going to do on all these courses still to come. Sure, you could tank on these, but your track record has given me no reason to think you will. I wouldn't spend tons of the admissions cycle this round, but no reason to think it couldn't happen. And if you aren't accepted, I'd put strong odds on it just coming down to needing to finish those classes. Observation hours are being waived at many/most schools due to COVID, but if you are able to get them, you don't need to go nuts (I think anything over 200 hrs is a waste of time, and really, 100 is usually plenty)

I think you have a shot. You have a good record going in. When I've been on ad com's, it is more of an issue if a student has a "meh" GPA from what they have completed, then I really want to know how they are going to do on all these courses still to come. Sure, you could tank on these, but your track record has given me no reason to think you will. I wouldn't spend tons of the admissions cycle this round, but no reason to think it couldn't happen. And if you aren't accepted, I'd put strong odds on it just coming down to needing to finish those classes. Observation hours are being waived at many/most schools due to COVID, but if you are able to get them, you don't need to go nuts (I think anything over 200 hrs is a waste of time, and really, 100 is usually plenty)
Thank you so much! Hearing that you've had experience on admission committees, that's very reassuring that I'll have a shot if not this year, then next. Thank you for your input!

Hi all,

Thanks!
All the schools i have looked at allowed only 1-2 outstanding courses. It sounds like you have too many outstanding courses. Your stats are great, but don't have your hopes too high for this year since you still have so many classes to complete.

All the schools i have looked at allowed only 1-2 outstanding courses. It sounds like you have too many outstanding courses. Your stats are great, but don't have your hopes too high for this year since you still have so many classes to complete.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the reality check. While I agree that most schools only allow 1-2 courses outstanding, the schools I've applied to don't have a requirement for progress at time of application. I just we'll just have to wait and see!

UPDATE: For any future non-traditional students browsing this forum, I was accepted to both the schools I applied to (yay!). Don't be afraid to start your application even if you're still in a bunch of prerequisite classes. I started my first prereq in Summer 2020 and applied September 2020 (with only 2 courses completed, 5 in progress, and 2 outstanding) and was accepted in December 2020 (ODU) and January (VCU). Good luck to you all! It IS possible.

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE: For any future non-traditional students browsing this forum, I was accepted to both the schools I applied to (yay!). Don't be afraid to start your application even if you're still in a bunch of prerequisite classes. I started my first prereq in Summer 2020 and applied September 2020 (with only 2 courses completed, 5 in progress, and 2 outstanding) and was accepted in December 2020 (ODU) and January (VCU). Good luck to you all! It IS possible.
Yay congratulations! That is awesome. For my own curiosity as to how that is even possible, did your 5 in-progress courses get completed during the application cycle? And then you were accepted with really only 2 planned classes?